Thread: Hello.....I am new here.....

Hi,

I just found this website and already read some very useful insight. I was in Solo 1 about 7 years ago with a 1987 RX7 Turbo and was looking at getting back into it. Today I own several cars and am building a track specific car to eventually run in either Vintage or GT series racing (Porsche 914 with 3 rotor engine).

While I wait for the 914 to get finished I thought I would enter one of my other cars in Solo 1. As I have several cars to choose from I was looking to see if anyone here had insight on which car would make a better candidate for Solo 1 competition. The options are as follows: 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo, 1994 Porsche 968 Turbo and 1993 Mazda RX7 Turbo. All have been modified to a certain extent and probably more than normal in the case of the 968. So which do you guys think would make a better car to run and why?

Here are the candidate pictures:

For those who might be interested, here is the 914 project.....it's still a long ways from being complete.

So which do you guys think would make a better car to run and why?
    [/b]
    Geez, the answer, of course, is all of them!
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Now there is a thought! Enter all 3 and have fun trying to beat myself! Don't know if the racing budget will allow it though.

where are you located
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

This might come out wrong... but.... ALL those cars would be fun, the 968 probably the most fun as you have "improved its performance" more than the others, and it probably already from the begining would have out performed them... I have never had the luxury of driving all those cars, however if you own them then you have, and I would suggest driving the one that is the most fun to you!!!

Now for another idea... You obviosly have some extra $$$ to play with... Why not rent an IT or SM and go to a SCCA drivers school, get your licence and get in a few races next year... It will be the best motivation you ever get for the 914 to be finished!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I just love that Yellow Porsche (no, not just because it's yellow LOL).
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

where are you located
    [/b]
    I'm in Calgary, Alberta Canada. I believe the Solo1 series still closely follows the SCCA rules and regulations.

Well job one should most likely get to an event or contact some people running event. Find out what rules they run by, what cars do well under those rules. Running any car that meets the safety rules is fun. Winning takes horses for courses.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

This might come out wrong... but.... ALL those cars would be fun, the 968 probably the most fun as you have "improved its performance" more than the others, and it probably already from the begining would have out performed them... I have never had the luxury of driving all those cars, however if you own them then you have, and I would suggest driving the one that is the most fun to you!!!

Now for another idea... You obviosly have some extra $$$ to play with... Why not rent an IT or SM and go to a SCCA drivers school, get your licence and get in a few races next year... It will be the best motivation you ever get for the 914 to be finished!!!

Raymond
    [/b]

I looked at buying a Spec 7 RX7 to run in the local road race series since the cars could be found for cheap and the class is one of the more economical to run in. However, I wanted to get more track time before going wheel to wheel. I wouldn't ever think of taking the 944/968/RX7 wheel to wheel racing as the risk of damage is too great. The Solo1 school - which I attended over 6 years ago - is a prerequisite for entering Solo1 and through it you can get your WCMA license to go wheel to wheel.

As for which is most fun - I guess it depends. For all out power the 968 Turbo is a blast (479 hp/550 lb-ft torque). However, the 944 Turbo is no slouch either at 300 rwhp and if something were to go wrong - ie contact with a concrete barrier - it's not going to be as gut wrenching. The 968 is a one of a kind built by Kelly Moss Racing. Now the RX7 is fun too and handles very well with an added plus being that anything mechanical I can do myself since I understand the engine and have some very knowledgeable friends who can help.

I guess what I was asking was which car would be better suited for Solo1 based upon the rules of the class. For example, maybe the 944 Turbo isn't as competitive as say the RX7 because it's in a class that includes Corvettes, etc.

I guess what I was asking was which car would be better suited for Solo1 based upon the rules of the class. For example, maybe the 944 Turbo isn't as competitive as say the RX7 because it's in a class that includes Corvettes, etc.
    [/b]
    If I were you, I think I'd race the RX7 because

a) it's more economical to race (I'd think) and

if I wrecked one of the others, I'd have to throw myself off a high bridge
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

I'm leaning more towards the 951 but I would have to remove the spoiler before each event to prevent it from getting wrecked. I have single turbo 3 rotor engine to put into the RX7 which would take it out of commission for the summer. I agree that the RX7 is probably the most economical to run though. I may delay the new engine until this fall and run with the current engine until it dies. How do mostly stock 3rd generation RX7's fare in their class?

Cool

Wanting a chance to just drive one of thoes.

Priceless...
    Toodles, Stacey_B
    MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR 2009 ITB CalClub Championship - Solo2 (FSP) www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life.
    Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.
    Sponsors: Porterfield Racing brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Hankook tires - Auto-Meter

Can't provide any useful input on the car choice - it'd be all down to who you have to compete against, I'd think, but certainly some nice choices! Of course, I'm biased towards the German machinery... The 968 I take it is indeed a 3.0L Turbo? Would that be a grey-market car, or a conversion done from a US car?

With either of the P-cars, you'd also have the option of racing them with PCA potentially (much PCA Club Racing activity in your area?).

Then again, there's cheaper and more fun ways to get into W2W racing, as noted - even staying within the Porsche stable!!! Of course, requires giving up some HP compared to those beasts, but I'd readily hand over 50% HP to ensure competition! Oops, I already did!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com