Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much to get started. Realy!

Since I hear you had another birthday and knowing your current age..I can see where you are coming from. :P [/b]

My advice especially goes for you too!! Hell I had a great Birthday........they hung Saddam on it and I got shit faced.

I had spent quite a few years as a worker before I went to driver’s school and I was amazed at the advantage I had at the school in just understanding the culture of an SCCA event. Others in the school had no idea how things worked and I was happy not to have learn that as well as everything else that day.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Dick,

Kudos to you! You said a mouthfull when you said " the culture of SCCA" . Many people don't have a clue as to the many aspects of what it takes to allow us to go racing. Without question, I firmly believe that working a corner should manditory before receiving a competion license. There are too many drivers out there that have no idea what it takes to do F&C for a day, much less the knowledge they'll gain from watching any specific corner up close.
    Again, just MHO.

Mark
    Mark P. Larson
    Fast Family Racing
    #83 GP Nissan 210
    CFR #164010
    3X CFR ITC Regional Champ
    1995 SEDIV ECR Champ
    Go Big Or Go Home!

Unhappy

Dick,

Kudos to you! You said a mouthfull when you said " the culture of SCCA" . Many people don't have a clue as to the many aspects of what it takes to allow us to go racing. Without question, I firmly believe that working a corner should manditory before receiving a competion license. There are too many drivers out there that have no idea what it takes to do F&C for a day, much less the knowledge they'll gain from watching any specific corner up close.
    Again, just MHO.

Mark
    [/b]

I agree that you get a real perspective of whats its like out there. I worked a couple corners at Buttonwillow, I've done timing and scoring and worked grid. I even had a chance to run the pace car a few times. All these jobs really give you a firm grounding on what it takes and how much is involved for your $300. Oh almost forgot, if you really want to dig into how the club works spend some time on the council.

Also I spent:
    Car $950
    Ign: 150
    Roll Cage
    250+install 300
    Safty gear 750
    exhaust 150
    header 200
    suspension 650
    tires (6) 420
    wheels free
    fire extingisher 200
    other stuff kill switch etc. 200
    paint: 200
    ack... wow .. but not all at the same time. My car took me about 3yrs to build.
    I generally tell people about $5000 to go racing.
    Toodles, Stacey_B
    MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR 2009 ITB CalClub Championship - Solo2 (FSP) www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life.
    Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.
    Sponsors: Porterfield Racing brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Hankook tires - Auto-Meter