Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much to get started. Realy!

Living in the Northeast, come on up to LRP, Pocono our NHIS next season. There are plenty of us who will be there, it's a good way to check it out...........and we could always use the extra help!!

Yes, I have no money due to racing............and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Oh yeah, buy Dave's book!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Living in the Northeast, come on up to LRP, Pocono our NHIS next season. There are plenty of us who will be there, it's a good way to check it out...........and we could always use the extra help!!

Yes, I have no money due to racing............and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

[/b]

Yes !! and while you are observing all the racing activities going on, you will also observe Greg picking on Jeff and Jeff yelling back at Greg and both Greg and Jeff picking on Jeremy, who hasn't even been on this thread yet, but will be picked on by both Greg and Jeff when he gets here ........another wonderful aspect of racing that you will thoroughly enjoy !!!

C'mon in the water is fine !!!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Gesh Phil, that sums it up very nicely!! There's also the occasional ribbing from Joe.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

[/b]
    The key word in this sentence is "I".

I think we should call Jeff's wife and see what she thinks about the money being spent! LOL

Yes I am the rookie who bears the brunt of the abuse, but its all good. In fact we busted Jeff's balls for days at Road Atlanta for lifting in T12.
    Jeremy Billiel

In fact we busted Jeff's balls for days at Road Atlanta for lifting in T12.
    [/b]
    Jeff lifts in T12 at Atlanta... What a sissy

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Raymond
    [/b]
    Jeff lifts in 12! Jeff lifts in 12! Nya nya nya, nya nya nya.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Raymond [/b]
    He probably carries a lot more speed into T12 than you do.

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Jeff lifts in 12! Jeff lifts in 12! Nya nya nya, nya nya nya.
    [/b]
    LOL, Sorry Jeff!

Jeremy - Who is afraid of what he has coming to him this season... Payback is always a bitch and I am sure it will be coming to me in the near future!
    Jeremy Billiel

I feel like I have walked in to a crack house, and I like what I see. This board rocks. You guys are top notch, thanks for the info. I'll need a few hours to sort this all out, and I feel like i need to buy that book. Ive only been to one race at Suzuka as a spectator and spent most of the time staring at the grid girls. If I don't have the cash by this summer I think I will defenitly be hanging around LRP and the Glenn trying to soak it in and learn. I look foward to runing in to a few of you (figurtively).
    -Tom

Standing around and watching isn't a bad deal. Watching the grid girls is fun, but you don't learn squat about race cars, but that's okay, neither do they. You'd be surprised at how much some of the crew are willing to talk to you and tell you little things that might help. Stay away from the big boys (Champ Cars, ALMS, etc) for almost any reason other than to drool. They normally don't have time to talk to you, don't speak English, or speak about things you might not comprehend. Going to touring, MX5, etc. grids is good and can be relative to your cause. But your best bet is to get into big club races. There you can differentiate real quick between legitimate efforts and expenses. Most guys will take the time to share a soda, a moment, or even a beer (later) and talk about what's what. Bear in mind that no one has a true idea of what it costs to do what they do. The figures they give you are what they remember from the last Visa statement or arguement with the wife. True cost is always measured in multiple variables and is inherently far more than admitted to.

But...unless it's taking from the kid's college fund, the 401K, or the house payments, it's worth it.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Bear in mind that no one has a true idea of what it costs to do what they do. The figures they give you are what they remember from the last Visa statement or arguement with the wife. True cost is always measured in multiple variables and is inherently far more than admitted to.
    [/b]
    I keep a spreadsheet with all my expenses for racing. I know exactly how much I spent at the end of the season.

But...unless it's taking from the kid's college fund, the 401K, or the house payments, it's worth it.
    [/b]
    Pay for everything in cash, leave no paper trail!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I keep a spreadsheet with all my expenses for racing. I know exactly how much I spent at the end of the season.
    Pay for everything in cash, leave no paper trail!!!
    [/b]
    No paper trail other than that spreadsheet :026: lol

Had to... ya sissy

Chris-

Great recomendations
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I do agree with you Chris.

Based on my past experience talking with people, there's another end of the spectrum when talking with people. Well, you need a large enclosed trailer, a racing engine is a must, then you'll need a set of new tires each weekend, and don't forget the generator. That sh#$ and wrong kept me out of racing for too many years.

Guess that's why up until next year I've used a tow dolly. I'll also admit to having strange boxes show up at work related to racing. Hmmm. Could someone pass the pipe back to me?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I may get flamed for this comment, but I think that "newbies" should at least consider coming and doing corner work for at least one weekend. It will show you some of the "do's and don'ts" and will contribute to the event for everyone. I worked corners for two years before I got in a car. Still work corners when the $$ is too tight. Gave me a new appreciation for all that is involved in putting on a race, even if it is "just a regional".

Scott

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I totally agree with working races. I still do at schools and double nationals. I would also suggest, other than corners, try grid, tech, or even fast pits. If you really want an up close and personal look at cars and drivers, they not only give you the opportunity, but the ability.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Scott,

I'm interested to know why you'd even think you'd get flamed for suggesting working corners before going racing? There is no better way of learning A LOT of "do's and don'ts" than watching right on the corners.
    I didn't start with corner working 'cause I didn't know any better, ( I think I ran 2 races before I "worked" my 1st weekend) but I was amazed at how much flagging improved my lap times.
    The corners are the best seats in the house IMHO, and you learn what you need to do when you need the workers help. Knowing their "language" can speed up their ability to help you when you are in the car, and help keep them out of harms way if there is nothing they can do for you until the "hook" arrives.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
    Mark P. Larson
    Fast Family Racing
    #83 GP Nissan 210
    CFR #164010
    3X CFR ITC Regional Champ
    1995 SEDIV ECR Champ
    Go Big Or Go Home!

Working a corner is a great way to get out and learn. Just be sure to wear white

As for how much it will cost, the car's just the beginning of what you'll spend. I shopped around and got my safety gear for ~$1k, add my R-3 head restraint for $850. School costs were ~ $3k for rental, entry, and licensing fee's. Adding a trailer which was ~$2k including putting a hitch on my old S-10. Four race weekends and two and a half test days this fall ~$4k including two sets of tires. So that puts me at ~ $11k roughly speaking. However, I can't put a price on how much fun I had. The quote by Egan pretty much sums it up.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

My advise to anyone who want's to start racing.........DO IT! Because you never know when you'll become worm food and money won't do you any good then!

My advise to anyone who want's to start racing.........DO IT! Because you never know when you'll become worm food and money won't do you any good then!
    [/b]
    Since I hear you had another birthday and knowing your current age..I can see where you are coming from. :P

mark,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. In regard to my comment about getting flamed, it is due to the reaction that I get from alot of my driver friends when I suggest it to them ("Hell, I ain't doing that! Gotta car to drive!). Given the crowd I run with, I can't say that I should be that surprised, LOL.
    I have to agree with the comment about "knowing the language", too. When I have an incident in my area (and those who know me know that if I'm at Turn 10 at Road Atlanta, SOMEONE is gonna have a fire!), it's nice to have a driver get out, tell me that he is ok and needs a flat-tow, and then go to a safe area with standard SCCA hand signals. I've had to have heated discussions before with folks sitting in cars that were still burning to get the ____ out (Turn 10, again) and also, why we don't open the hood on a car that may still be burning before the fire trucks get there (once again, turn 10..............hey, those are all the same guy!!)
    I've seen how to make a pass and how NOT to, when is too late to make a move, what "cold tire issues" really means, and why the driver should stay belted in the car until it's truly safe.
    This may sound silly, but I check the corners to see who is working where on recon laps. Nice to see folks that you've entrusted with your safety previously looking back at you. Caution-flagging at Turn 5 at Road Atlanta can be quite the trust exercise. ("you have to turn your back to traffic, watch for incidents past our post, and trust that I'll get both[i] of us out of the way if something is coming").

In regard to the costs of racing, my brother and I split bills 50/50. We also drive in the Carolina Cup Pro Series to we can split the driving duties (about 21 1/2 minutes each in the race itself, one qualifies the car, the other practices it). Charlotte Motor Speedway in an IT7 car with no helmet blower or Cool Suit in June can get a bit warm. Wouldn't have wanted to do the whole distance by myself). For our first car, it was $5700 with trailer and some spares. $400 for a good helmet, $275 for a decent suit, $60 for shoes, $20 for gloves (clearance bin), and each of us had a grand total of about $3600 invested when we went to our first DE after being signed-off for solo. BTW, I encourage going to your local track and doing an HPDE if possible. Cheap instruction, cheap track time, good experience.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C