Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from IT to Prepared ?

Who is considering moving from IT to Prepared (World Challenge) ? Even long term?

I'm interested in who here would consider B & D Prepared the next step after ITS or ITR instead of going Production car racing??

For those who have not been paying attn: B Prep = WC GT and D Prep = WC Touring.
    We're not talking about the Solo Prepared classes

Let's try to keep the responses limited to those who are actually considering the move instead of a list of opinions by those who are not planning to ever go to Prod or Prep.
    Thanks!
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

I have to confess that a brief (and masochistic) thought flitted through my little brain when I saw that Erickson&#39;s Golf IV was for sale, but sanity prevails. A little bit, anyway.

The only thing that keeps me coming back to the idea of "something beyond IT" is the desire to do hillclimbs and tarmac rallies with a real shot at placing overall, and the LP Prod or Prepared rules would allow for some kind of road racing application for what would otherwise be a one-trick pony.

K

Funny you mention it today...I had a conversation yesterday about this very subject. I need to research the rules a little better. Will this (DP) only allow vehicles that were classed in WC, or will it allow other vehicles which fit the "formula"? I find it to be a pretty interesting class. One would have to be very careful of their choice of weapons though.....
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

>> will it allow other vehicles which fit the "formula"?

Anything that fits the formula. It&#39;s actually easier to make cars competitive in these classes as they will use SIRs and weight to equalize them.

Here are the engine rules, the rest are in your new SCCA GCR that you have or will have shortly:

D. Engine

1. Alternate engines may be used, given that the manufacturer of the vehicle and engine are the same (e.g. Acura engine installed into a Honda auto). Replacement engines shall have the same number of cylinders/rotors as the original.

2. The connecting rods and crankshaft must be stock OEM parts for the specific engine, but may be tooled enough to achieve balance. The standard weight reduction allowance for balancing of the crankshaft is 0.5 lbs. The standard weight reduction allowance for the balancing of the reciprocating assembly is 15 grams.

3. Blocks may be sleeved to repair cylinder walls.

4. Rocker arms, lifters, followers, pushrods, valve springs, keepers, retainers, guides, seats, and valves are free, TITANIUM is NOT permitted, except for the retainers. The head may be machined to fit valvetrain components.

5. Valve lift is limited to .600". Camshafts and timing is free.

6. Cars produced with an electronic throttle body may use the OEM electronic throttle body. The OEM electronic throttle body may be converted to manual actuation and the actuation cam on a manual throttle body may be changed to alter the opening/closing rate of the butterfly

7. The ignition system components may be replaced freely provided that the type of ignition remains the same as stock.

8. Engine calibration (spark and fuel) is free. A programmable ECU is permitted. The RPM limit set within the engine management system shall be the same for all gears (i.e. 1st gear shall not have a lower RPM limit than 2nd-6th gears).

9. Fuel injector(s) and fuel rail(s) must maintain the original number and mounting location(s), but are otherwise free. Fuel pumps and fuel filters are free in type, size and number.

10. The location and type of the fuel pressure regulator(s) are free provided they are mounted within the engine compartment.

11. The ring gear diameter must be the same as the production flywheel. Flywheels shall be ferrous metal, or aluminum, but are otherwise free. Titanium flywheels are not permitted. Clutch and pressure plate design is free.

12. Oil pan and oil pickup may be baffled, modified, or replaced to prevent surge. OEM oil pump may be modified, or replaced with an OEM-style oil pump. Cars using a wet-sump oil system shall safety wire the oil drain plug, or in some other way secure the oil drain plug, to prevent the plug from accidentally coming out.

13. Vents, breathers, and oil filters may be added, or substituted. All emission control devices may be removed and the resulting holes plugged.

14. Replacement gaskets and seals are free, including head gaskets. Replacement gaskets and seals must be made out of material(s) designed to seal the parts of an engine. Replacement gaskets and seals may not perform any other functions. Head gaskets may be used to adjust compression ratio.

<div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

My understanding is that it is to give WC cars a play to race, but is open to any cars built to the rules.

My question is which WC rules will be followed? They change week to week, and allowances vary car to car. WC is a moving target over the years.

It won&#39;t be a cheap class, thats for sure!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I am interested in B Prepared. I intend to wait the next 3-4 years and see whether ITR or B/D Prepared attracs more cars.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I&#39;ll admit I&#39;m still considering it. While as Jake has pointed out it won&#39;t be cheap, neither will be what&#39;s required to bring my car back to IT legality. So I&#39;m basically stuck in a position where significant amounts of money will be required either way. Because of this I&#39;m thinking that I&#39;ll stay in ITE for next season and drive many more test and tune days rather than races. Really, the nut behind the wheel needs more tightening at this stage. If I play it right, I&#39;ll be ready to really go in &#39;08.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

It funny this topic came up today, as I plan on racing the Mustang Cobra in the first ever BP race next weekend as Sebring.
    The car is far from being finished. It still has a stock 100,000 mile motor under the hood. (equipped with a homemade 40mm SIR to slow it down ever further!)
    I initally planned on running SPO in the southeast. To be on the pointy end of the grid there you need about 650 HP. In B Prepared, running the SIR, the SCCA figures the max amount of power should be around 450. The engine builders I&#39;ve talked to say a 392 small block, (or larger) with the max 12.0 to 1 CR can hit that number with the SIR, and not have to turn over 6000 rpm. Also, the motor should easily last an entire season.
    Also, it could be build for a reasonalble amount of money. (compared to a SPO motor, at least)
    I&#39;ll get a better picture of the car up soon. (I know, I need to update the website also. )

Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Seeing as I have an E36 and would like to run other tracks as part of a championship (though I probably wouldn&#39;t run the runoffs) I&#39;m going to see if I can get another season (2007) out of my current motor and run ITR, while keeping an eye on Prepared, maybe making the jump in 2008.

One thing I don&#39;t see in the rules is any mention of pistons. What oversize and what compression?
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

I got my GCR today and read the D Prepared rules (basically WC Touring). I love the rules set

I&#39;m speaking only for those who are fans of WC and Touring car type racing in general. We are the guys who "Tivo" the WC TC, BTCC and WTCC shows on Speed. In "our opinion" we like cars that look like the FIA Touring Cars that run everywhere else in the world. There is a large group who appreciate the look of a "stock car" yet appreciate the freedom of real race prep and creativity underneath. True, the cars will ultimately be far more expensive than IT, but the class is for those interested in the next level of prep and engineering, not for the entry level guy looking to race on a small budget.

The fields will be very small at first and in fact the class may never see the "IT like" numbers that I personally would like. However, for a team like mine that wants to take a club racing car beyond IT prep yet has no interest in running what we see as somewhat antiquated Production car rules.... this new class looks great to us.

Personally I think that it&#39;s good that there is another avenue for up and coming (or just dreaming) TC drivers to choose from. If you dream to be an SCCA Prod class national champion you can move from IT to Ltd. Prod to Prod... if you prefer to someday race in World Challenge or Grand Am Cup or CTCC etc, this new class is just the ticket before you take the "pro plunge". I think this has the opportunity to steal some PCA, BMWCCA and USTCC teams who are looking for more door banging and perhaps less 13-13.

The question is, are there enough out there thinking like I do? Afterall the USTCC series under NASA has had dismal attendance (only 3 cars finished at Mid-O). Not a good sign... I guess only time will tell.

So the 2007 season has already started out west and down south. Has anyone seen a D Prep car?
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

A home for ex-World Challenge cars? Yeah right.

Just like limited prep production being a simple place to go with an IT car. Sure it can be done, and it&#39;s legal, but the way to run at the front is to build a fresh car from scratch. I see the BP and DP being the same way. Fastest cars will be built to the limits from scratch.

A place for World Challlenge budgets is more like it.
    Tim

One thing I don&#39;t see in the rules is any mention of pistons. What oversize and what compression?
    [/b]
    9.1.4.176: Compression is limited to 12:1

I agree the rules seem to be lacking in the engine area.
    A 3L BMW 4v= 29mm SIR & 2700lbs minimum.
    So a 1.8L Honda has the same SIR & minimum weight?
    The WC TC like weight calculations must come into play at some point, or did I missing something?
    In WC TC the Honda Civic weighs ~2400# and the Bimmers and Audis weigh ~2800-3000#
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

BP=5. Transmissions and Ratios are free. Forward gears are limited to six speeds. Cadillac CTS-V (Mid Valley spacer) and Pontiac GTO (Tilton spacer) are allowed to space the transmission 8 inches back with the designated spacer.

DP=3. Transmission and Ratios are free. Forward gears are limited to six speeds.

Say hello to 5 to 15 k for gear boxes.

But the engines must have stock rods.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Also, are those minimum weights including driver? (I assume yes)
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

BP=5. Transmissions and Ratios are free. Forward gears are limited to six speeds. Cadillac CTS-V (Mid Valley spacer) and Pontiac GTO (Tilton spacer) are allowed to space the transmission 8 inches back with the designated spacer.
    [/b]
    Looks like John Heinracy will take home 3 gold medals at the Runoffs next year.......

Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

I am going to be moving to Prod. I was going to do it this year but am going to wait another year or so. Prod just seems to have the cars that I like. I like the older stuff.

I may be missing something, but wouldn&#39;t any 1990+ IT car with a prod-legal cage and fuel cell be eligible for prepared (with a few other minor changes)? Obviously it would take a s*#tload more work to be even close to competitive, but if some IT guy just wanted to dip his toe into the national scene couldn&#39;t it be done?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

I just checked the entry list for Sebring.
    There are a total of 5 B Prepared cars entered.
    In D Prepared, just one:

52 Djjohnj Blue 1995 BMW 325i Sponsored by: Bayles Elite Racing

I&#39;m not familiar with that name.
    But if you enter the race, and only two cars show up, you&#39;ll be on the podium for a National race

Rod
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

I may be missing something, but wouldn&#39;t any 1990+ IT car with a prod-legal cage and fuel cell be eligible for prepared (with a few other minor changes)? Obviously it would take a s*#tload more work to be even close to competitive, but if some IT guy just wanted to dip his toe into the national scene couldn&#39;t it be done?
    [/b]
    Provided that your cage meets the rules, yes (mine does). For example, it requires the forward bars to the firewall, which are optional in SS/IT.

I studied this, the only changes I would have to make to my ITR car to be Prepared-legal are:
    Hood pins
    Driveshaft loops
    Windshield clips
    17x8 wheels (narrower than ITR)
    intake restrictor

As you point out though, it would take a LOT more to be competitive, especially since two of those mods will slow the car down! I don&#39;t know what the point of just showing up to a National race is though if your car is going to be 10+ seconds behind the class.

Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

My understanding is that it is to give WC cars a play to race, but is open to any cars built to the rules.

My question is which WC rules will be followed? They change week to week, and allowances vary car to car. WC is a moving target over the years.

It won&#39;t be a cheap class, thats for sure!
    [/b]
    The VTS spec sheets for World Challenge cars doesn&#39;t change all that much in terms of items requiring extensive change. Most all changes involved 25 to 100 pounds of balast and and weight distribution changes of less than 3 percent, air inlet restrictor changes (5 or 10 percent at most) and boost changes. The Audi A4 and SRT-4 saw changes as the series came to grips with turbos in the touring car ranks but for the most part most cars were pretty static in terms of VTS specs for the last few years.

When has being competitive at the National level ever been cheap?
    Jim Bourn
    The Preferred Line
    www.TheRaceSite.com
    www.LeightonReese.com