Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to reach outside of the existing racing community?

The primary motivation for writing my book Go Ahead – Take the Wheel was to show people that getting into racing is possible for the average Joe, and break down many of the myths people have about racing. One area I continue to struggle with is how to effectively gain exposure for my book outside the existing racing community. (I have many ideas on how to gain exposure with new & existing members, although making it actually happen might be a somewhat different story. LOL) SCCA also faces the same challenges and continually seeks new ways to gain publicity for the various racing programs. Many people have joked about SCCA being the “Secret Car Club of America”. In various threads, particularly lately, people have talked about PDXs and how even for events held outside of large metropolitan areas, the exposure hasn’t been as much as they would have liked. I’ve been scratching my head trying to think of how both I (with my book) and the club can effectively accomplish this. There are millions of people who grow up dreaming about racing and simply are not aware of SCCA’s (and other clubs) programs. I grew up thinking that the only way into road racing was by attending a $3,000 Skip Barber school then participating in a very expensive racing series. If I had only known that less than 20 minutes from my house there were these autocross events where I could have taken my ordinary street car to race, HPDEs / PDXs, and so forth.

At first glance it sounds fairly simple how to gain exposure for both my book as well as the club, but how? Several of the things that first come to my mind are not very realistic and will not provide enough return on investment to justify the associated expense. For example, a black & white 1/3 page ad in one edition of Road & Track magazine costs in excess of $31,000. I’m curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions on how to gain additional publicity for my book and/or the club. Thanks!

Some quick notes:
    Initially I wasn’t going to post this type of thread, but given the audience, topic and fact that IT.com already has a sticky for my book (thank you!!!) thought it might be o.k.

For my book, obtaining reviews in various car magazines would be ideal but actually getting them printed is tough. (Many of the auto magazines my “publicity director” spoke with stated they receive over 50 books each day to be considered!) This is where having a large publishing company with connections would have been useful. I’m also in the process of speaking with various track stores as well as other retailers.

I was very surprised with some of the things I’ve learned during this process about the book industry. The concept of selling books to major bookstores such as Barnes & Nobel or Borders, them not selling copies, simply tearing off the cover, throwing the rest of the book out and returning the cover for a full refund still has me shaking my head. I suppose it makes sense for a large publisher not wanting the copies back to store, but for a smaller publisher it's tough. All that requiring a distributor taking a decent cut, then the book store taking their share.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

First, define and isolate your target audience.

Second, define the best means of getting that audience's attention (I know that's your original question, but you're going out of order)

Third, use that tool to get their attention.

Until you define and isolate your target audience, you're using a shotgun to kill a dove.

So, I'm going to change your thread's original question:

What is Dave's target audience? What group (or groups) or people are most likely to be attracted to the idea of amateur club racing? Open your mind; it may come from totally outside the mainstream idea of "car folks".

The other idea would be to locate the newsletters of the various PDX clubs and advertise in their publications. I would also, if I were you, really consider renting a booth at Race-A-Rama in West Springfield this year. Put your car into the booth to attract people to the booth and simply sell one item. Your book. Make sure you advertise (via posters at your booth) that each copy purchased would be autographed by the author. Racearama is an intense 3 day show that draws in excess of 50K people over the 3 days. It is a great way to get known. I did this for several years when I sold safety equipment when RST Performance was in its infancy. And yes, Ray's race car was the central part of my display as I could draw attention to the booth as well as show the various items I sold in the car. It worked. I also showed videos the whole weekend. In-car videos and yes, crash videos draw a lot of attention. Having a booth of your own as opposed to being a part of the SCCA booth or any other organization, draws attention not only to you but to SCCA in more than one spot of the show. You can even put flyers at the SCCA booth drawing attention to your booth. Been done in the past and that exposure really works. Contact NER's publicity chair for info on Racearama. I'm sure that venue will really help.

I will also contact a media type person here in Loudon that does various race programs on local TV and radio and see if I can get you on his show. That is another great way. Yes, I am targeting you to circle track people as they are quite interested in how to get onto road courses to hone their road course skills. That is how we got Babe Branscombe and his team into GT1 in NER.

Good luck.
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......

On the promotion side, try sharing a booth with someone at PRI. The obvious partner would be SCCA, since you are promoting their product.

Speaking of SCCA, they are going to promote your book at the National Convention, right?
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

buy an old 60's era van, paint it all slick and hippy like and hit people in the head with the book as you speed away. it works for vonage....

on the serious note Greg does have the right approach. First you need to identify your target before you can divise ways to gain the attention to reach their wallets.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

it may come from totally outside the mainstream idea of "car folks" [/b]
    This is one area I've been thinking about, but have not been successful yet. Any ideas Greg?

SCCA's involvment with the book is still yet to be determined.
    Dave Gran

Go door to door in upscale neighborhoods...

Seriously, get one of those top placements on Google, before doing anything else.

Any ideas Greg? [/b]
    ME? Ideas? Rarely.

Sailing, boating, flying, golfing, SCUBA diving, surfing, skiing (snow and water), motorcycling, bicycling, fishing, import car scene, drifting, NASCAR spectators, football fans, baseball fans, basketball fans, show cars, kit cars, muscle cars, divorcees, bored housewives...any community that has displayed an abundance of time and/or money...

I have found that "car guys" find other ways of scraching the itch. Before I started racing I ran races with R/C cars. I went back up to the R/C track a while ago and people asked what I was up to. When I told them I was racing "real" cars for the cost of running an 1/8th scale gas car they thaught I was talking about drag racing. They had no idea that road racing can be done on the cheap. There is a idea out there that we are the wine and cheese form of racing. I wish I was ready for all the questions about cars, classes, tracks, costs........

I would suggest hitting places like R/C race tracks, slot car tracks, car shows....even bars that cater to the race fan, When some of the people found out that they could work corners for free, and get in for free much less race people where intrested. Flyers are cheap to print up even in color, and most business owners that cater to car guys are also "car guys" and have no proplem in you setting up a stand with a flyer.

I know I got 3 possible drivers and a hand full of workers that are intrested, even a few EMT's from my work contacts. And know of one R/C racer that is doing HPDE's and is wanting to go racing.

We are the Secret Car Club of America, and the people that are to be putting our name out there should find a new line of work.

find out where the local street racers and car show guys hang out on sat nites (usually they secure a parking lot somewhere legally if they are big enough) and trailer your car there. this type of event usually gets people interested in cars by driving by. Set your car as close and visible to the road so passers by can see it. set up canopy and/or table and sell book/SCCA. You could also target online gamers/video game junkies
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Enter an atractive/exciting car in a local carshow, one where hotrodders etc show up. Be prepared with answers to questions of the "how can I nature", maybe even have a handout showing the path and a typical budget. Be sure to let candidates sit in the car.

Show videos clip like Greg Amy's WGI ITA record run...

hmm how about program adds at spectator events
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Great ideas!

I previously developed a marketing plan including defining my books target audience and writing a business plan, but need to revisit it. I do agree that there's value to looking outside of the car enthusiast, but keep getting in a rut and returning to that. I've also learned that I need to start placing some value on time spent promoting the book. Several ideas I've thought about include my spending a day trying to promote it (one that popped into my head was attending car shows as well). Then I compared that do working a day at my part time job where I'm guaranteed to take home X dollars for a day. Maybe there's more residual value then I'm giving it credit.

One challenge with a book is that it's a low priced product, in my case $17. O.k. So I used the still recommended $16.95 approach. Because of this, it takes many more sales to even break even with paid-for marketing. I would really love to think of some methods to reach a large audience. Reviews in magazines would be ideal, but have found it very difficult to get.

Getting more flyers printed makes sense. I do need to be more proactive in getting businesses to display them.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. This brainstorming is helping.
    Dave Gran

I would really love to think of some methods to reach a large audience.[/b]
    I really hate to say this, for a variety of obvious reasons, but you have a book that targets a very small segment of the racing market: road racers. At < 5% of racers the numbers just won&#39;t be there. Oval and drag racers are each about 40%. I&#39;m sure those racers face many of the same issues, so they would be worth approaching, but would that require a rewrite?

On another subject, you could "sponsor" driving schools by offering a discount coupon for the book--just enough to make sure your costs are covered. Every time I&#39;ve been to a Skippy or DE event the students leave excited about racing and are trying to figure out how to do more. They are primed for the book. Expect the schools to squeeze you for free books, though.

Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

I should have defined what I consider large audiences for this particular book. LOL Yeah, I recognize this type of book won&#39;t be one the NY Times best seller list (but one never knows ).
    Dave Gran

Since we&#39;re throwing ideas out..

Local college newspapers..catchy one page ad (cheap) or put a flyer in with their paper/newsletter

Local car shows are great, especially benefit ones.

Put flyers in local tuner shops, or many local garages will let you put some in their waiting rooms.

Grand openings of businesses. Many of those would love to have a race car parked out in front to attract people, and don&#39;t mind you selling your product, as you are getting more people to their stores.

Just random thoughts.
    Mark P. Larson
    Fast Family Racing
    #83 GP Nissan 210
    CFR #164010
    3X CFR ITC Regional Champ
    1995 SEDIV ECR Champ
    Go Big Or Go Home!

Since we&#39;re throwing ideas out..

Grand openings of businesses. Many of those would love to have a race car parked out in front to attract people, and don&#39;t mind you selling your product, as you are getting more people to their stores.
    [/b]
    Local businesses LOVE to have a race car parked out front to draw customers. We did that a lot and one hardware store in particular had one of their best sales days because they gave 10% coupons at our display and people ventured inside after looking at the car. We got our biggest customer who ultimately became Ray (elder) &#39;s sponsor for many years.
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......

find a way to get on Oprah&#39;s book of the month list ... sorry, been off work this week and watching too much afternoon TV ... ;-)

cheers,
    bruce

I&#39;d still really like to obtain some additonal reviews in magazines. Anyone have any connections at Road & Track or Car & Driver?

Another media I&#39;ve been looking into is online magazines. Are there any you look at / recommend?
    Dave Gran

Local businesses LOVE to have a race car parked out front to draw customers. We did that a lot and one hardware store in particular had one of their best sales days because they gave 10% coupons at our display and people ventured inside after looking at the car. [/b]
    I know a race team that does this with restaurants, in exchange for free lunch.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC