Thread: "Traction Bar" and a FWD car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

***Trailing Arm - (A.) A wheel control linkage locating the wheel in the fore/aft direction, which is attached to the car structure at the forward end of the arm, and to the wheel carrier at the rear of the arm.***

Roy, at first glance it's a great definition to get things rolling. As a side note to all, IMHJ it will be a bunch tougher to get a GCR glossary word definition added or changed than getting a IT rule changed. But let's continue the Traction Bar rule definition rewrite because IMHJ that is where the root cause of the problem is.

Point by Greg, BRAACK!!! Wrong answer, David.

Counter point by David, (B.) Traction Bar- A two pivot maximum longitudinal link from chassis to an axle housing or hub carrier which resists torque reaction from the wheel by acting in compression or tension.

Come on folks let's cut the BS & swing at the rewrites.

Happy New Year :snow_cool:

David

ps: What I really like about Greg is that he don't lay back in the weeds.

As a side note to all, IMHJ it will be a bunch tougher to get a GCR glossary word definition added or changed than getting a IT rule changed.[/b]
    Now that I've stopped laughing long enough to find my keyboard, I'd like to fill you all in on the true story of how the glossary came about. I'm NOT picking on David, but this statement made me laugh even harder. The moral of this story is it's far easier than you think to get something published in the GCR -although it may take lots of work on your part before submitting something to the club office, CRB, or BOD. Unfortunately it's easier to moan and complain on a public forum than to actually sit down and try to accomplish something.

Many years ago a friend of mine (name intentionally withheld) mentioned to a CRB member that there needed to be a glossary so everyone was on the same page when discussing rules. This CRB member thought that was a great idea, and encouraged my friend to write one. After considerable thought over a boring fall and early winter recess in racing, he decided to find a definition for everything in the then current GCR and each spec book that he thought wasn't already clearly defined in a Webster's Dictionary. Some things he could only guess at because he wasn't really positive of the meaning as it applied to racing. His main thought wasn't that rules nerds would pick it all apart and bend everything they possibly could. He submitted his draft for review and discussion. To his astonishment, it was immediately printed in the GCR that came out not too long after that! As far as he could tell, no editing or correcting was done. Since that time there have been some additions and modifications, but not really all that many - in fact far fewer than he thought there would or should be. So someone would be helping all racers if they would just spend a few months going thru the glossary, the GCR, and all rule books, and update everything, only this time with the idea that people will eventually try to twist whatever you come up with.