Thread: "Traction Bar" and a FWD car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think you're stretching it here...

IMO, a traction bar cannot be a lateral location device, as it would therefore fail the very definition of something that "...resists torque reaction from the wheel by acting in compression or tension." That's not what toe links do for a living, is it?.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I think you're stretching it here...

IMO, a traction bar cannot be a lateral location device, as it would therefore fail the very definition of something that "...resists torque reaction from the wheel by acting in compression or tension." That's not what toe links do for a living, is it?.
    [/b]
    Alright so remove the toe link and what happens is the wheel moves around, same as without a traction bar, so the bar definetly resists wheel torque. Secondly, any second year engineering student will tell you a link with a rotating connection (i.e. a heim joint) can only act in tension and compression. So by all acounts I think you could replace it same as a traction bar; however, the safe way to go would be to just replace the rubber elements with heim's in the stock stamped piece.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter