Thread: Whats the best way to put a CIS car in moth balls?

I'm going to put my ITB golf in storage for maybe 6 months to a year. I am a vw mechanic so i've seen the effects of CIS when it sits. I was going to drain the tank, clean the fuel distributor, lines and injectors of fuel.
    I asked around in the shop then someone said " won't air in the lines cause corrosion?" So far every bodys been about 50/50. The fuel distributor is about 2 years old, new when i put it on. So i dont want to ruin it. Has anyone ever stored a CIS car for any length of time? What problems did you have?

I would just leave a small amount of fuel in it, treat it with stabil, run it long enough to get it in the whole system and park it. I don't think a 6 month layup is a big deal...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I concur with Chris, except I'd leave a FULL tank of fuel in it. That way there's very little air, and thus very little moisture to condense out...

Even then with ethenol based fuel I would recomend using stabilizer for terms longer then 6 months.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

ask around and find out what people that have classic high dollar European cars (Ferraris , etc) that used cis do when they are storing their cars for the winter, i'm betting they have that down to a science (expecially those that live in the salt belt)

I think i would have to agree with all of you. STABIL it is! Thabks for the input.

my current dd an 86 gti beater was parked for like two years with a 1/4 tank of fuel, and I cranked it right up, put in some fresh fuel and she was good to go, don't worry too much about it. .