Thread: ITAC News.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Mazda 3 also did not have a proportioning valve installed which is allowed in IT. The ABS cars with the fuse pulled seem to have a tremendous amount of rear brake bias. This could be balanced without ABS with a prop valve and pad compound.

matt

At some point we are going to have to allow ABS in IT, but I'm not sure we are there yet.

Right now, for me, it is still simpler to require guys to defeat ABS than it is to try and figure out how ABS affects the balance in a particular class.

I've run all the brake lines in my car. It's just not that hard to do, and coupled with an open ECU rule there is no real reason -- other than a weekend's worth of work -- that guys with ABS cars should be able to work around any "ABS defeat issues."
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Maybe that time should come right about when the first drive-by-wire (not throttle by wire though they're already classed) cars are eligable for IT, or the ABS pump becomes integral to the master might be another mile stone to consider it.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    or the ABS pump becomes integral to the master might be another mile stone to consider it.
    This is what I think might end up happening. And when it does the issue will be forced.

But, as of right now I'm pretty sure no OEM suppliers are making them in this fashion so we're at a minimum five years away from having to worry.

R

At the end of the day, I'm still of the opinion that a lot of the arguments against ABS in IT are red herrings trotted out in lieu of "it'll be an advantage," "drivers should control their own brakes," or some combination of the two.

Accepting that it's going to eventually be allowed, I'd advocate for allowing it in ITR NOW, since it seems likely that every eligible car probably had ABS available. If we can overcome all of the other "safety issues" in the category (OMG, my wheel bearings! We're all gonna die!) we can overcome this one.

K

I would prefer that ABS isn't allowed. "Two feet in" in a spin is a significant reason for me. And F1 banned it, and I think for good reason.

I certainly don't find the workarounds needed to be all that daunting mechanically speaking, and prop valves have been standard fare for years.

I suppose my thinking on the 6.5" request is to allow that specific car to run them, but, at a weight penalty. Or just not allow it. (I'm on the fence on listing it at two weights....it SHOULD get a chunk if it gets wider rims, but many won't want to run the stock rims, so why should they have to carry more weight?)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I suppose my thinking on the 6.5" request is to allow that specific car to run them, but, at a weight penalty. Or just not allow it. (I'm on the fence on listing it at two weights....it SHOULD get a chunk if it gets wider rims, but many won't want to run the stock rims, so why should they have to carry more weight?)
    I don't think that the requester was asking for 6.5" wheels because his car came with them, I think he was asking because 6" wheels are hard to find for his car. It's an older ('80s) car. I'm not sure what it came with but this specific request is not about the New Beetle.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Accepting that it's going to eventually be allowed, I'd advocate for allowing it in ITR NOW, since it seems likely that every eligible car probably had ABS available.
    Certainly not the 911 or 911SC. What about the early Cameros, Mustangs, and Firebirds?

This has similar ring to the RR shock issue. It is a bad deal for those of us who built all the initial cars (and ripped out the ABS systems) and then change the rule later? I know, in some cases there is no good answer, but please be careful here.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Certainly not the 911 or 911SC. What about the early Cameros, Mustangs, and Firebirds?

This has similar ring to the RR shock issue. It is a bad deal for those of us who built all the initial cars (and ripped out the ABS systems) and then change the rule later? I know, in some cases there is no good answer, but please be careful here.

Write this day down, I agree with Grafton. It would have been great to allow ABS in ITR from the beginning. Now it would not be fair to those that built cars in good faith and now have to add it back. We are a long way from having to allow it to race the car. It will suck to disable it on the RX8, but it is the right thing to do.

Fix the weights of all cars fairly, and leave the class the hell alone for a while.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)