Thread: ITAC News.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you look back at some of my arguments FOR national status, you'll see that I explained that I would continue to run regionals as well - or more likely a mix of both. Part of the benefit of national status, to my way of thinking, is systemic rather than immediately personal.

For example, what would the current resale value of any given IT car in the IT.com classifieds be if it were eligible for Nationals? Higher or lower than is the case right now...? Would it be easier to sell or harder?

K

I understand your systemic argument, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ...what would the current resale value of any given IT car in the IT.com classifieds be if it were eligible for Nationals?
    A straw man argument, as net-net it would be no different. One can argue that IT cars could be "worth" more on resale were the class National, but the costs to prepare them to that attractive National level would be higher. So, really, no difference.

Same goes for Andy's popularity - yet circular - argument, "POPULARITY raises the cost." He's right, but a class does not become popular BECAUSE it's National; in fact, due to participation requirements, a class will not become National until it is popular.

Or until you invite in Spec Miatas to double dip... ...but be careful what you ask for...."one should be loyal to the nightmare of their choice"...

- GA

current rumor is the Runoffs is going to Laguna Seca for 2014....
    Why does the club wanted to file Chapter 11?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

Same goes for Andy's popularity - yet circular - argument, "POPULARITY raises the cost." He's right, but a class does not become popular BECAUSE it's National; in fact, due to participation requirements, a class will not become National until it is popular.

Or until you invite in Spec Miatas to double dip... ...but be careful what you ask for...."one should be loyal to the nightmare of their choice"...

- GA
    Except I'll bet you ITS, ITA and ITB have enough car counts right now to hit the top 10 in class participation. So the popularity is there, it may just get MORE popular...and signal to the PTB that the simple, scaled down nature of the ruleset is the draw.

Could be.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Except I'll bet you ITS, ITA and ITB have enough car counts right now to hit the top 10 in class participation.
    As we've argued ad nauseum, only because they're not National. If they were National, it's likely they'd not be as popular.

Again, IT is popular because of its consistent ruleset, and that consistency exists solely - ONLY - because it's Regional only.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Could be.
    But won't be.

I don't know WHY you guys keep circle-jerking yourselves over an argument that's been going on for FAR longer than any of you have been in racing. It's a question that's been asked - and answered - numerous times since I started racing in IT in 1985.

Let it go.

- GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 06-29-2013 at 10:54 PM.

No one is arguing. It came up and we are talking about it. It's what we do.

I disagree that IT couldn't enter National status with the same rules and procedures it has now. The CRB just has to admit it it's popular BECAUSE that stuff works and not dork it up.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think IT could NOT go National as is, BUT, with tweaks and some mods and trimming it could.

But, yea, the people who don't want it to don't want it too, and that's that.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

- GA
    Good thing you added your Spec Miata qualifying line!

Without SM double dippers where would STL be last year, etc?
    Of course pure subtraction can't really answer the question because of the "I know this class is Runoffs bound" factor, where some builds happen ONLY if the class is Runoffs material, increasing car counts.
    If you build it, they will come"

Same thing can be said for IT, of course.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I would not call it an exodus, but I made the decision, and I know 4 or 5 others with the same car that did the same, to move to a different class. The thing that I find surprising is that these folks are spread out across multiple regions and divisions. I would have expected to see some concentration based on the local health of IT.

The motivators are not all the same. Some think the competitive balance is better, and like that it will be actively managed. Some really do want to be able to do the runoffs. Others just see more participation in the national classes in their area, and between that and the contingencies they expect more bang for their racing buck. In my case it is a combination of all three.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Hi guys! Stopped back in to see what's going on.

Looks like exactly the same people talking about exactly the same things, except that a bunch of us aren't racing in IT (or some of us, at all) anymore :-)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Josh, good to see you.

I think I mentioned this you via email a while back but kudos to you again for helping us get past some of the issues with the CRB, and for pushing for publication of the Ops Manual. Classing cars is amazingly easy for the most part now that we hve rules, and it is very hard to go outside them.

In that regard, IT is vastly improved even over its "heyday" of 15 years ago.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

we had a meeting last night. a week late as there was a SNAFU with the conference line on our regular 4th Monday. SCCA got it all fixed up. not sure how much the CRB will review tonight, usually they get a week.

we did approve a new requested car, add some specline years and body styles to keep current, and review some other letters which we will move on ASAP, likely on "this month's" call.

we discussed the ITB review and have made good progress. hopefully this will come out of committee this year.