Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: STUPID RULES

Must keep power steering functional if your car came with it? (And you can't backdate/change because all of "your car" had a power steering pump)

But in SM they can be disabled and SM is "supposed" to be more limited prep than IT.....

R [/b]
    Some of these are funny. In SM you are allowed to update backdate to the non-power rack - just like in IT. The only difference is the 'conversion allowance' - but it's still like IT in that there were cars with manual racks, so it's potato/potahto.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

E. Face coverings (balaclavas) of accepted fire resistant material for drivers with beards or mustaches. Hair protruding from beneath a driver’s helmet shall be completely covered by fire resistant material. As an alternative to balaclavas, a full helmet skirt of accepted fire resistant material may be used. Double-layer balaclavas are recommended. If balaclavas are used voluntarily, they shall be of accepted fire resistant material.[/b]
    So if you have a baby face you don't have to worry about burns? No head sock required but you better have them on your feet.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Washer bottles - well actually I've now taken the time on two cars to hook them up & make them work. Very necessary when driving in crappy weather & everyone keeps going off & coming back on track w/ mud.

And yes, NER can ask for some odd things - we had to surrender our helmets after qualifying this summer, to get them back we had to bring our factory manuals. I think there was one RX7 manual that got brought into the tech shed about 9 times, guys just waited outside the door for their turn with it.

But here you go with some of my favorites:

Why can't we have jack pads? How many cars have you seen w/ big crunch marks on the underside from jacks? Its not like a jack point really adds "competitive advantage", it just keeps the car from getting beat up, or falling on your head.

Why can't we put a vent window in the rear window? No, lets mount the thing in the front window where it either is less effective or blocks our view (or both).

So you can't have anything lower than the wheel rim - except the exhaust. First, why is the exhaust exempt? Second, w/ a 50 series tire (or 45) if its that low, its going to get ripped off and land in the track.

You can run any kind of radiator and engine oil cooler, any kind of diff set up (in the stock pumpkin). Why not a diff cooler?

Fuel testing.... Well, I'll be polite and leave that one alone. I think every knows why the rule got created, but it didn't get very well thought out before being implemented such that nothing that will burn in the car will actually pass. There's no good solution on that one.

Matt

[/b]
    I like the one's about the diff cooler & exhaust!!

So if you have a baby face you don't have to worry about burns? No head sock required but you better have them on your feet. [/b]

This is good too. :P Some of these make no sense at all LOL!

Keep up the good work guys is is some funny S%#@!!

the fact that there is a difference with stock cams vs. "stock" cams. And the fact that we have such open rules and self policing. I just got back from a roundy round race in orlando where I crewed and did a pit stop (on the front straight!) and watched them tear down the top 3 to the block.

the biggest question I am always asked...so you race cars? cool how much do you win....then the explanation of the piece of wood...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Here's a good one. At Willow Springs I came into the pit lane after qualifying and stopped in the hot pits while my crew guy checked tire temps and pressures, while he was doing his thing I took my helmet and gloves off. I got guff from the tech guy when I pulled into impound for taking my helmet off! My crew guy doesn't have to wear a helmet when he's outside the car in the pitlane yet I do when I'm inside the car ?!?!
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

Some of these are funny. In SM you are allowed to update backdate to the non-power rack - just like in IT. The only difference is the 'conversion allowance' - but it's still like IT in that there were cars with manual racks, so it's potato/potahto.
    [/b]
    Okay, I have a 4v 240sx and none of those had manual racks. Ron has a JH and no JHs had power steering. How come I can't use a manual rack, we both race in ITS?

Okay, I have a 4v 240sx and none of those had manual racks. Ron has a JH and no JHs had power steering. How come I can't use a manual rack, we both race in ITS? [/b]
    It's a SS based class.

Biggest pet peave: Drivers who "know" others are cheating and will only bitch and complain instead of policing their own patch. Grow a pair or STFU. Rule issue? I would love to see an open hood/trunk policy in impound like in Solo.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

It's a SS based class.

Biggest pet peave: Drivers who "know" others are cheating and will only bitch and complain instead of policing their own patch. Grow a pair or STFU. Rule issue? I would love to see an open hood/trunk policy in impound like in Solo.
    [/b]
    I have the same pet peeve. On the open hood/trunk policy, I wrote a letter to that effect earlier this year (and including pulling a wheel off too), and was pleased to see the request for member input on that in the latest fastrack. So everyone, write your letters! I don't see how we're supposed to self-police without being able to see anyone else's equipment, so I'd really like to see this happen. As you say, it has worked great forever in Solo.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Well,

.... I think we should be able to relocate the battery. I don't think that the design of some of these cars that we modify into racers make "Safe" sense.

.... Take for instance the new Miata. The Battery is setting right in front of the engine ....... Duh

.... A set standard (like a certain box mounted a specific way) makes better sense. I have seen batteries on the track ...... Now is that safe????

.... And that Washer Bottle....... Let's get a grip ...... lol Can you imagine what Newbs think .....

.... Should I throw in Port matching for Rotories? ........ Whah

.... Rick Thompson

.... And that Washer Bottle....... Let's get a grip ...... lol Can you imagine what Newbs think .....
    [/b]
    I just don't see that as an issue for "newbs." More often than not, a newb either buys/rents a built car, or builds his own by starting with a street car (i.e., it already has a washer bottle, so it's not hard to keep it.) Besides, they really are useful ... I always keep some fluid in mine just in case I get mud thrown up, and I have used it more than a couple of times.

As I go through my current build, the only rules that strike me as silly are:
    - Can't remove amps/speakers/antennas, but the rest of the interior gets to go
    - Tremendous amount of wiring required for things that are removed
    - Can't remove emissions stuff except for a few explicit items (EGR, cats)
    - No guidelines for window nets. Doesn't even explain what it's for. Could have a VERY small one and it would be legal. (Seriously, does anyone know how to pick the right size net?)

But generally speaking, I think the IT ruleset is pretty great!
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

No lightened flywheel? In a racecar? Blasphemy!

Hi, I'm Chris, and I don't have an IT-legal car... Is there a troll smiley icon in here?

SFI seat belts= 2years
    FIA belts = 5 years?
    Belts by the same manufacture but different labels? do they just make them better in the land of FIA?

As far as PS VS None PS goes the issue is the car was classed with the power steering pump as a consideration...Most Japanese pumps use 7 to 9 HP on the dyno.....

GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

The lack of an impoound ALL and open hoods/doors/trunck etc. rule after each session...

How can we "self police" things if we never see the cars other than when we are lapping them on the track?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I hope you guys realize that Kirk's blood pressure has gone up 40 points because of this discussion!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

No, he's doing fine. There is a new Kirk on the block and he's turned in his rules nerd card - saw it myself!

R

I hope you guys realize that Kirk's blood pressure has gone up 40 points because of this discussion!! [/b]

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

These are with out a doubt some of the greatest posts I've ever seen. I would never have guessed we had so many comedians.

Why in NASA do you have to replace the window net every 2 years? Maybe they have more exhaust pipes going through their window nets than SCCA does?

Seriously - you crazy kids go for it. I'm AOK.

So far, Joe's the only one who's found rules that actually rise to the level of "stoopid" in my book - the balaclava and SFI label dumbness. We have collectively been lulled into a happy place where fire protection is required only because it's a rule, not because anyone really expects to catch on fire. And SFI is a trade organization - nothing more.

Add to that list the complete lack of any requirement for eye protection. That's a stupid rule.

The rest are simply manifestations of our individual fantasies about what a "real race car" is supposed to look like.

(He said, with appropriate academic detachment because from here on out, IT is one more case study in creep that he expects to support his existing hypotheses about influences causing road racing classes to wither and die.)

K

Can this discussion be the last involving washer bottles? I mean, seriously, there are people up in arms over a 1 pound plastic container that no rule in the ITCS or GCR says you can remove? Accept it and move on, geez...

My biggest pet peave: people who don't read/know the GCR. I'm not saying you have to love every rule, but at least know them. I'm especially hard on my students when they take their GCR quiz. Most of them don't even know where in the GCR to look!!
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Okay So I've got to add it just because stirring the pot is fun and it's soooooo beaten to death....here goes....

You can have a totally aftermarket ECU but it must fit in the stock case....

There I did it...

FLAME AWAY!!!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Okay So I've got to add it just because stirring the pot is fun and it's soooooo beaten to death....here goes....

You can have a totally aftermarket ECU but it must fit in the stock case....

There I did it...

FLAME AWAY!!!

R
    [/b]
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR