Thread: STUPID RULES

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SFI seat belts= 2years
    FIA belts = 5 years?
    Belts by the same manufacture but different labels? do they just make them better in the land of FIA?

As far as PS VS None PS goes the issue is the car was classed with the power steering pump as a consideration...Most Japanese pumps use 7 to 9 HP on the dyno.....

GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

I can't find the text of SFI 16.1 since I'm not a part of the trade association, but in the FIA 8853 standard for belts, they don't specify any material requirements, or require any aging tests on the belts - they only test the new belts to a certain performance level, so who knows how the belts will perform at the end of 5 years or what they're basing the 5 year rule on? They test the belts at 20 degrees F. The air force puts a 13 year life on pilot harnesses using similar materials. I'm sure the SFI spec is equally insufficient.

And another good one for the future rules - many FIA or SFI belts break when they are put through the SFI 38.1 sled tests...

cheers,
    bruce

SFI seat belts= 2years
    FIA belts = 5 years?
    Belts by the same manufacture but different labels? do they just make them better in the land of FIA?

As far as PS VS None PS goes the issue is the car was classed with the power steering pump as a consideration...Most Japanese pumps use 7 to 9 HP on the dyno.....
    [/b]