The computer ate my lat post so here goes again. I gave this subject a few days rest to think about what you helpful folks have said, but I'm still trying to figure out the practical consequences of the lack of a VIN requirement in Improved Touring. So my approach is this. I'm going to make a comment of the general problem as I see it, then I'm going to ask some more specific questions.

COMMENT: The lack of a VIN on a car means that there is no physical proof at all as to which "specification line" the car is to be placed. The result is that the "specification line" must then rest simply on the declaration of the car owner, and on the shop manual that he furnishes as a reference. O.K. by me, great in fact, but I can't see the tech folks being very happy about this, and a rogue tech inspector is gonna want a VIN.

Questions:
1. Since there is no VIN requirement, does this mean that I can simply remove all the VIN plates and tags and make a simple declaration of the "specification line?" Is this being done? Has someone successfully done this?

2. A safer course, strategy wise, would be to remove all the old VINs and "update" a couple, or maybe just the one on the dash, to give the techs something to make them happy. Is this a reasonable approach, or fraught with lots of problems?

In my case, I wouldn't be doing this to gain any competitive advantage because I'm kinda mid pack guy anyway and would do an honest update of the entire drive train and weight, but the cost savings on the roll cage and early tub is considerable. I suspect other "migrators/updaters" have also been driven by such considerations. Many of us shadetree types are struggling to just stay in the game. The upgrade I'm proposing makes me slightly more competitive and keeps me in the game.