Thread: Car Eligibility Rule Clarification

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

what i fear is the ability to now create a model that didn't exist from the factory. a model that is in some way faster in IT trim than any option originally offered. i'm no good with r00ls, but it seems to me that we just created an infinite possibility for combinations of parts amongst models of cars, and in no way can reasonably classify them all. i fear the clever people are going to find an overdog combination somewhere.
    [/b]
    But, people already create 4-door '87 GTIs. That to me, seems even worse than using a 94 (1.8) Miata tub for what will be raced as a 91 (1.6) car

But, people already create 4-door '87 GTIs. That to me, seems even worse than using a 94 (1.8) Miata tub for what will be raced as a 91 (1.6) car
    [/b]
    i don't know about the VW stuff, but here's a specific example of what i'm talking about.....

if i swap a 1.8L into my 1.6L tub (or do i have to swap my 1.8 tub with a 1.6? whatever ) i end up with smaller/lighter (but still good enough) brake rotors at each corner. this creates an advantage for the 'hybrid' car that didn't exist when the respective models were classed. find some specific make/model combination that you can find just the right advantage and you may have yourself an overdog.

or am i not reading this rule change right?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Yes, you're reading it wrong. Only the body shell will be allowed to be replaced (or substituted, same thing) and only if it's identical. You'd have to swap over the 1.8L brakes and any other parts specific to the 1.8L cars.

Here's my question:

Would it still be illegal to use a non-sunroof CRX shell that is otherwise identical for a CRX Si ITA car?

Yes, you're reading it wrong. Only the body shell will be allowed to be replaced (or substituted, same thing) and only if it's identical. You'd have to swap over the 1.8L brakes and any other parts specific to the 1.8L cars.
    [/b]
    why? show me where it says i must completely convert everything? the "may not create a model" option was crossed out.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

why? show me where it says i must completely convert everything? the "may not create a model" option was crossed out.
    [/b]

Good point, I missed that part. I think you need to leave that line in, even if the VIN requirement is dropped. I don't think Kirk's intent (judging from his intent paragraph) is to allow that type of hybrid, but taking that line out seems to allow them.