Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '07 MARRS IT Run Groups

So, Greg. are you saying I'm old or experienced? Perhaps vintage. Just to be clear, I wasn't picking on ITS, I was just expressing my concerns about the speed differential between the slower cars in ITA and the front runners in ITS and the unknown ITR factor. I personally never had a problem getting lapped by any ITS driver (as opposed to a certain ITA car in turn 3 who will remain nameless). Like I said, let's wait and see.
    BTW, this is a great forum for these discussions. We should all buy a T shirt or make a donation to help keep it going.
    AJ
    [/b]
    i love first gen mr2's...put about 175k fun miles on my street one. maybe we should do some paddock bumper height checking so that if you want a push you can flash me the international bump drafting hand signal. just watch for the blue nosed bmw coming up in your rear view mirror at turn 10.....happy to help!

(KIDDING! i know inter-species bump drafting is bad....)

marshall

I not say that this up coming season might not be fun. But looking at the results from this past season I was running with more ITB cars than ITA. I know there where a couple of A car near me at the finish, but it is hard to see how close they are while you are on the track and concentrating on what you are doing. I just found myself in the thick of more with B's than A's. Maybe this season while be differant. We will have to find out.
    I understand about drafting and using the advantages of other cars on the track. I was in big bore for the driver's schools at Summit. ITA was the slowest race group. So where the faster cars would dive under slower one in the corner, I would throw the hook onto there bumper and get pulled through. I was fun.
    I just want to have good close racing. Everyone being smart with giving and taking. Last year was my first and I feel I'm still gaining respect and trust from my fellow competitor on the track. I know the ones I trust to race beside, and I hope they trust me. Each year is going to be a learning experience for me and the curve is very steep. The vets on the track and off are great guys and gals. I learned a lot last year and felt comfortable. Now it's going to be another year of learning and I'm okay with that. I just wasn't expecting a knuck ball like this for maybe another season or two.
    I'm done bitchin'. I'll try to think possitve for the up and coming season.

Thank you
    Doug Kinser
    ITB #03 MR2

Just to add my .02

With my car prep and skill level (or lack of) I will be running with the front runing spec7's. So I will go from being mid pack at best in ITA to racing with the front runners in spec7 this will be alot of fun for me "I think" and if not I will run in ITA. Plus the bonus of being able to run in two classes.

I think its a win win deal for IT7.

Hey, Marshall, the more likely scenario is my trying to get out of your way in the carousel when somone is sniffing to get by you. I'll NEVER hold up the front runners!

Hey Doug! Just imagine the start without all those B cars between us. Get the picture?
    AJ
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Just to add my .02

I will be running with the front runing spec7's. So I will go from being mid pack at best in ITA to racing with the front runners in spec7 this will be alot of fun for me "I think"

I think its a win win deal for IT7.
    [/b]
    Should be fun, I like the idea of having all of the first gens in one run group.. At least the interclass bump drafting should work a little better than with ITC.. Now we just have to get the SSC's out of our group and we're good.. -Al G.

Angry

I'm heavily "on the fence" about this one - initially I was concerned about the ITA/ITS/ITR combiniation and while I'm not ecstatic about being the slow kid on the block, I am glad to get away from the DC Region's ITBash crowd. I've encountered more aggressive ITB drivers and have been hit by more ITB cars in the past 2 seasons than I encountered in the first 5 years of racing so I'm not completely distraught to see the classing change.

Racing is certainly about passing (and unfortunately being passed) but as has been mentioned, the intent of the groupings is to keep speed conflicts at a minimum. Being a solid mid-pack driver, I found myself in the midst of the ITB leaders more than once which isn't a nice place to be. Furthermore, I found myself squarely in the middle of their battle with no easy way to extricate myself since I was neither appreciably faster or slower than the ITB leaders.

Perhaps the solution will be to offer a split start with ITA starting first and ITS/ITR starting arbitrarily 30 seconds later. The only issue is that this can be a starter's nightmare should the second pack be poorly formed since they cannot be given a wave-off. Perhaps the stringent use of start judges with PENALTIES will curb any problems.

Just some thoughts from the fencepost.

Matthew
    Haz-Matt Racing

I think this grouping should work out pretty well for us in ITA. Most of the ITR/ITS cars will grid in front of us and take off, leaving us to have fun in our own race. That will be a lot easier than trying to get loose from the ITB leaders (Bill Radford are you reading thisw? :-)). I raced with ITS several times two years ago when SSM was paired with them. They took off and left the Miatas alone. Toward the end of the race the leaders (Ed and Al usually) would lap me. It was not really a problem. The DC region blue flaggers always warned me when they were coming so I just let them by. There were a few slow ITS cars, but passing them was fun. I am looking forward to the season. Bill H