Thread: 320 diff question

I was thinking about getting a LSD and making it work with my stock rear-end? Or should I just say F this, weld the spider gears, and have a locked diff? Seems to me the best way is welding the diff. Cheap, easy, and never a power delivery issue. Is there something i'm over looking? (like reliability?)

Weld it!
    ITR #41 '93 BMW E36 CFR/FR

"All My Ex's Have Rolex's"

The locker if done right, is virtually indestructible. It will be harder on the CV joints, but they're plenty tough on the 320 as long as you keep the boots in good shape. The locker is not the fastest solution though. It should make the car understeer more, and is a royal pain to manuver in the padock (though not as bad as the FWD cars). I used a stock 25% LSD, and it was hardly any better than the open diff. Then paid a small fortune for a Metric Mechanic 75% LSD and it burned up in just a few races. After that, the locker seemed like the most reasonable answer at the time.

Last I heard, Chris Albin runs a locker in his VW. He seems to make a habit of keeping the inside front wheel off the ground to make it work.

Grafton

Supposedly the 320i is tail happy anyway so some understeer would be a good thing. thanks for the help again guys!

I've run a locked rear in my e21 for the past 5 years with no problem. Cheapest LSD you can get.

It does have a tendency to understeer in the corners a bit, but that is corrected with some throttle (takes a bit of getting used to - not what your brain wants your feet to do). Now I love it. It gets me to get on it earlier out of the corners.

Good Luck with your e21. Fun car. Not the fastest out there, but a lot of fun.

Dave
    Team Jagermeister
    '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10 - ITB NESCCA Enduro Champions

I've always wanted to race an old 3 series, im glad im building the car. Did you weld yours yourself? Ive never opened a 320i diff and i was wondering if the weld was hard....I know i need to drain the diff, get it super clean, heat the metal, and then weld. I was just seeing if it was a difficult welding job?

Hi 320WB
    I've been running a 4:10 locked rear for many years in a 02. 1st clean the heck out of the inside of the case, bearings ,ring/pin and bearings. This process takes a little time. Cut 3/16 or thicker triangular pieces of steel to later be "tig" welded to the spider gears. Do not mig(splater=DNF) If you wish to be 110% I would also replace bearings and seals after the tig welding. The only special tools you need (to replacebearings) is a dial indicator and a inch pound pullometer to check pinion bearing preload.
    Good luck with your 320!