Thread: Fuel pressure regulator

I hate to ask questions as it shows how little I know, but here goes.
    What benefit and how does a fuel pressure regulator work for a 1st gen miata (95)? I saw that Bob had one on his ITA Miata at ARRC. (Just so I don't look totally dumb) I guess it would help lean out the A/F mixture? How do they work ie manually, do they overide the ECU?
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

The ECU does not control fuel pressure. In a racing context (WOT), the ECU does not use any feedback to control mixture. It controls the opening duration of the fuel injectors based on RPM, air flow/pressure, air & water temp, etc. With a certain opening duration, the amount of fuel squirted is proportional to fuel pressure (or pressure squared or cubed - I forget). By adjusting the fuel pressure you can move the air/fuel ratio up or down across the entire RPM/load spectrum. If there are rich or lean spikes, adjusting fuel pressure will not remove them.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Flow is a function of delta of squared pressures across the injector.

Raises a question I've been pondering. Is there any way to evaluate need for/benefit from increased fuel pressure other than making back-to-back dyno runs at various fuel pressure setting?

Also begs question of EGT. If fuel/air mix gets too lean, possible to burn an exhaust valve. Anybody got thoughts/guidelines on that?
    Lea Williams, Santa Fe, NM - ITA '94 Miata
    Champion, 2007-2008, SCCA Rocky Mtn Div ITA

Raises a question I've been pondering. Is there any way to evaluate need for/benefit from increased fuel pressure other than making back-to-back dyno runs at various fuel pressure setting?[/b]
    A proper way? No.

Also begs question of EGT. If fuel/air mix gets too lean, possible to burn an exhaust valve. Anybody got thoughts/guidelines on that?
    [/b]
    EGT is determined by more than mixture. A seriously rich mixture combined with seriously retarded timing can produce very high EGTs. Tune for fuel mixture with your wideband and a dyno. Optimum mixture for peak power should fall within a relatively safe range of EGT. Next tune ignition timing based on dyno results. Most IT engines will be able to run MBT (minimum best timing) without a knock issue. If there is knock you need to either bring more octane to the table, fix a possible problem, or decide how much power you are willing to sacrifice.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Flow is a function of delta of squared pressures across the injector.

Raises a question I've been pondering. Is there any way to evaluate need for/benefit from increased fuel pressure other than making back-to-back dyno runs at various fuel pressure setting?

[/b]
    Gee, look who showed up here. Welcome to the party!

Chris is right, you could adjust, run a few laps while watching the instruments, adjust, etc., but the dyno is the way to go.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Yes, Ty, I guess this means I'm officially out of the Spec Miata community and in the IT community.
    Lea Williams, Santa Fe, NM - ITA '94 Miata
    Champion, 2007-2008, SCCA Rocky Mtn Div ITA

Now you can hang with the cool guys.

Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion