Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: IT Festival at MO

ok, even if IT isn't at a "special milestone (23 years?) maybe the event can still say "celebrating 23 years of Improuved Touring at Mid Ohio, then the following year (08) it could read celebrating 24yrs, etc... changing the theme of the weekend to this... The "IT Festaval" or "August Regional Sprints" (or whatever you call it) are in recognitioon for those IT drivers who have come and gone, are still with us, and those whom have grown up with us over the past X years...

[/b]
    However, in two years we could throw a 25th IT Anniversary bash...now that would be a great excuse to take over the whole danged weekend! :026:
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

What course did NASA run? [/b]

Who cares what NASA does 1st of all?? THIS IS SCCA! "Ask yourself, what course do the PROS use and why? This should tell you guys / gals something.

Um..., if 84 was the 1st year, 07 is the 24th. So we can have a 25th aniversary warmup event next summer.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

"Who cares what NASA does 1st of all?? THIS IS SCCA! "Ask yourself, what course do the PROS use and why? This should tell you guys / gals something."

Look at my followup comment about times - that should tell you something - I just wanted to compare our times and theirs apples to apples. Had nothing to do w/ what config we should run.

The pros run w/o the chicane because I assume that is how the track was designed and intended to be run. And the chicane was added for club racing to slow entry into the keyhole. So, I&#39;d say safety, and the avoidance of having to collect a lot of cars between groups in a long day of club racing. Personally, I&#39;d like to run w/o it.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Look at my followup comment about times - that should tell you something - I just wanted to compare our times and theirs apples to apples. Had nothing to do w/ what config we should run.

The pros run w/o the chicane because I assume that is how the track was designed and intended to be run. And the chicane was added for club racing to slow entry into the keyhole. So, I&#39;d say safety, and the avoidance of having to collect a lot of cars between groups in a long day of club racing. Personally, I&#39;d like to run w/o it.
    [/b]
    Bill, I&#39;m just saying this will be a double event. Some contrast would be nice. You can&#39;t compare their time due to the modifications they are allowed to run. IMO I do know which ever way they do decide to run it, it will make no difference to me. This should be a big event and I will try my best to make it. :snow_cool:

Everyone,

The Cincinnati race committee meets tomorrow night so check back here for an update sometime after 9 p.m. I&#39;ll let you know how things go.

Todd C.

The pros run w/o the chicane because I assume that is how the track was designed and intended to be run. And the chicane was added for club racing to slow entry into the keyhole. .....[/b]
    i&#39;m pretty sure you&#39;ve got this backwards.

the chicane was first and the straight section was added later to create the "pro course." not sure if it was for another passing zone or what. we all have our preferences and i like the chicane but am willing to go with the flow/vote on what we do or if we split between the two (different days, of course).
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

the chicane was first and the straight section was added later to create the "pro course." not sure if it was for another passing zone or what.[/b]
    Exactly. The pro course design was later added in order to create another major passing zone for televised races. The only televised events that don&#39;t use it are the motorcycles, but that&#39;s apples and oranges.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I think the straight was put in for CART

matt

I remember being at MO in the mid 80s for a Trans Am / Cart race. Someone lost it in the chicane and slid all the way across the track hit the wall at the exit of the keyhole crossing in the middle of traffic. The next year they added the pro course pavement.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I like the Pro course too, have run it with NASA, it works quite well and is fun, would be happy to do that circuit.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I remember being at MO in the mid 80s for a Trans Am / Cart race. Someone lost it in the chicane and slid all the way across the track hit the wall at the exit of the keyhole crossing in the middle of traffic. The next year they added the pro course pavement.
    [/b]

David Coletti did that same thing in a Spec Neon last year during the NASA Nationals. Lucky he didn&#39;t hit another car!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

David Coletti did that same thing in a Spec Neon last year during the NASA Nationals. Lucky he didn&#39;t hit another car!
    [/b]
    The same happened to me at NASA Nationals too, but luckily I was able to hit the sandtrap and start barrel rolling before reaching the backstraight. Whew, that was a close one! <_<
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

The same happened to me at NASA Nationals too, but luckily I was able to hit the sandtrap and start barrel rolling before reaching the backstraight. Whew, that was a close one! <_<
    [/b]
    Hey Ruck, there&#39;s something else you are better at than me!
    When I go in the kitty litter, I just get stuck. But not you, Mr. Spectacular!!
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Hey Ruck, there&#39;s something else you are better at than me!
    When I go in the kitty litter, I just get stuck. But not you, Mr. Spectacular!!
    [/b]
    I&#39;m starting to loose track of all of these things that I&#39;m better at than you, but in this particular case, and you know me, I&#39;ll do anything to put on a show for the fans!

<----fans on the keyhole hill

Awaiting after-meeting update...
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I have a question for the MID-O locals. What is the lap time differential between the pro course and the club course? Just wondering.
    [/b]
    I don&#39;t think the times between Sat & Sun of the Autumn Classic can be compared. The track conditions were different and exagerate the time difference.

A good comparison might be between Jim Daniel&#39;s Pro-Miata time of 1:44.731 vs. Tony Coello&#39;s SMT record from last year of 1:45.946. Tony ran a 1:45.246 this year, but that was on the new pavement.

Ed.
    Edwin Ho
    #65 SM
    www.ehmotorsports.org

Hi Everyone,

A very productive meeting indeed. The Cincinnati Race Committee has put the I.T. Festival on the front burner for the Board Meeting set for January 19th. I can tell you we discussed several formats with much input from Butch Kummer with the ARRC being the hot topic. Butch and I have had a few lengthy e-mail discussions about class alignment and such. We are one step closer to bringing this thing to reality. The input has been reassuring. Couple of questions:

1. Pro straight start instead of pit straight?

2. Multiple sprint races with individual race winners? Or overall champs in each class after multiple races?
    or a little of both?

3. Teardowns for race winners? Or just inspections with TEETH?

Keep us circled on the calendar! Aug. 10th-12th 2007,

Todd Cholmondeley
    Cincinnati Race Chairman

2. Multiple sprint races with individual race winners? Or overall champs in each class after multiple races?
    or a little of both?

Todd Cholmondeley
    Cincinnati Race Chairman
    [/b]

1.) Never Raced at Mid Ohio but I have spectated the Runnoffs. I like the PRO straight Starts since EVERYONE can see the start.

2.) I like the British Touring car format with 2 races determining the weekend winner. but I also think it would be neat to do a points earned for the weekend and have a Total Weekend Winner in each class.

Sprint (8 Laps) On Saturdat that will get you points based on your finishing position and determine grid for Sunday.
    then the feature (15 Laps) on Sunday that would be worth Double points. Then Final positions are based on points. Keeps it more interesting and definetly involves more strategy! The other thing I like about it is that you have to be consistantly good not just get lucky! (Like me back in 2003 at the ARRC finishing 3rd)

Maybe even add bonus points for Grid positions...

3.) Inspections similar to the ARRC after the races Sunday. Saturday inspections stinck and would eliminate some people from running on Sunday. (Due to the rebuild, not legality)

I don&#39;t think the times between Sat & Sun of the Autumn Classic can be compared. The track conditions were different and exagerate the time difference.

A good comparison might be between Jim Daniel&#39;s Pro-Miata time of 1:44.731 vs. Tony Coello&#39;s SMT record from last year of 1:45.946. Tony ran a 1:45.246 this year, but that was on the new pavement.

Ed.
    [/b]
    I don&#39;t remember the conditions being different... But I don&#39;t remember much these days! If you look at the individual times from Sat. to Sun., you will see that some people were much faster on the PRO course and some people didn&#39;t pickup any time at all. Look at the ITA group 3. Compare each driver&#39;s times from both days and take from that what you will.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Hi Everyone,

A very productive meeting indeed. The Cincinnati Race Committee has put the I.T. Festival on the front burner for the Board Meeting set for January 19th. I can tell you we discussed several formats with much input from Butch Kummer with the ARRC being the hot topic. Butch and I have had a few lengthy e-mail discussions about class alignment and such. We are one step closer to bringing this thing to reality. The input has been reassuring. Couple of questions:

or a little of both?

Todd Cholmondeley
    Cincinnati Race Chairman
    [/b]

Todd, just think of this as a business. Ask yourself what can you as a region do to draw more people and that means spectators as well. I hope this will make your region some $. What do you think will make the racing more exciting? We&#39;ll show up and race, just tell us where and when.

Make sure you are able to follow up if you implement tear downs. There are a few people that won&#39;t show if there will be tear downs. Cheaters, stay home for this one. hehe