Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: IT Festival at MO

That a possibility too. :~)

IT festival is a great idea and ive been hoping something of this level was/is planned for IT. Our racing (IT) is more popular than most National classes yet we are saddled with the stigma of being "regional" which means to most 2nd class players. We need a country-wide event.

Some thoughts: a full practice day, a full day 2-3 qualifer, and multiple sprint races--best out of three. You race and your time/place grids you for next race and so on. IF the venue takes off we rotate tracks each year.

Thanks to the people who started the process, any help needed please get in touch with me.

Russ Jones

>> Maybe some of the posts could have been deleted, but all? Oh well.

Dave, it was a mistake. Not censorship.
    I've been running this site since Nov of 1999, and thats the first time I've ever screwed up that bad.

Hey at least I didnt delete the entire General Discussion group! Where else would we learn so much about insurance
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

I doubt that other regions will change thier dates with concerns that this race will draw away IT racers.

1) IT isn&#39;t the regions only concern

2) Realisticaly you will only get 5-6 people the 1st year and Maybe 10-15 IF you are lucky. That is a relatively low # of people considering most races these days draw 200+ cars.

3) A NARRC Championship (and I am sure other championships) is worth more to many (including myself) than a single race, be it the ARRC or an IT Festival. - Yes this is just my opinion, but if I was giong to run the NARRC series I wouldn&#39;t skip the NARRC event for this event. I am guessing the same is true for most of the MARRS people also.

Basicaly in 2008 I would suggest scheduling the "IT Festival" around the other regions normaly scheduled events, don&#39;t expect the "other" regions whom you want racers from to cater to you. I know this can&#39;t be changed (or can it?) for 2007, but I thought that it needed to be made realistic for those that felt other regions should change their schedules so that 5 or 6 people from that region didn&#39;t have a conflict.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

In defense of the date, from what I understand, Mid-Ohio changed the date of Cincy&#39;s regional in favor of a Pro event. Cincy Region wanted to step up to the IT Festival idea, and since this was Cincy&#39;s only event, the die was cast.

Anyway, I will be at both the PDX and the double regional.

Suggestions:

1) standing starts were dropped for a reason and the start/finish straight is so short.... Please, no standing starts.

2) how about a handicap race for all IT cars, similar to what Indy Region has done.

3) I like the idea of tying the PDX into the regional, and get the PDX people to stay for the weekend. Don&#39;t know what the incentive might be, pay their admission? pay something towards lodging?

4) If at all possible, groups with IT classes only.

Whatever, I will be there to support. I understand the concern of drivers who are going for series championships, but would love to meet all of you at MO.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Yes it is true that we got bumped from our original date. And we are looking hard to bring something special to the table. Even with being on the 4th of July our out- of-region driver totals have been small the last couple of years. Some of that is gas and some of that is loss of the Big Show......
    To pull this off this year we are looking at heavy support from GLD drivers a good out-of-town crowd and BIG increases in seat time to bring folks in. Hope the gearbox&#39;s and throttles will be able to handle the stress load.

Todd C.
    Cincy Race Chair

Dave, it was a mistake. Not censorship. [/b]
    I was blaming it on Andy. Thanks for the explaination, that makes much more sense!

I doubt it would be possible to make it an IT Only weekend, but there are many ways of showing that the event is an IT Festival. Simple things as giving the premier paddock space to IT, in one general area. Give IT cars the most attractive run group times.

If standing starts are the way things are going (would rather not), Bookler flags are an absolute must!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

No standing starts. Done. I am perfectly ok with running the club course on Saturday and the pro course on Sunday though.

It is MUCH more likely and easier to move this weekend to another (hopefully earlier) weekend in the next year or two than to ask a bunch of other races to change theirs. Personally, I&#39;d actually rather move this one into a June or July date if at all possible. It would get it further away from the ARRC, let people know where they stand with still enough time to develop further before the ARRC, and not interfere much with regional championships that will be in full swing come August. But like I said in "threadv1.0", This is what we have for the this year and we have to make the best of it. I won&#39;t blame someone for not coming because they&#39;re in the middle of a hotly contested regional championship at the time and would have to miss a race. But in the grand scheme of things, I think that will be a small percentage of the "customer demographic" for an event like this.

I know many of you have asked for a full test day like what Road Atlanata puts on the day before the ARRC, but I just don&#39;t see that happening at Mid Ohio. But I&#39;m sure Mid Ohio would love to sign you up for one of their $700+ "Competition Lapping Day" schools. Really the PDX is about all we&#39;re going to get (for now, remember, 1st year!)
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Just thought of something else. How about a IT triple crown champion - IT fest, division championship and ARRC?

Oh, and yes, I second the motion for Club course Sat and Pro course Sun.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I think the key is that as this event grows (should the host region stay dedicated to the idea), the host region keep in in a set weekend every year. This way other regions could build their schedules around it so they DON&#39;T lose racers to it...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

This is a great idea and may get me to Mid-Ohio.

Western division guys -- any chance you can do something similar at one of your tracks?

Having three unofficial championships in parts of the country accessible to all IT guys is a great idea. I agre that having the ARRC in Atlanta year after year is not fair to the guys in the Midwest and Pac Coast.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

If it were a normal regional, club course and pro course would be cool. If it&#39;s going to be marketed like being discussed here, only use one version of the course. It will be hard enough for people who have never seen the course to learn one, no less another version. Or if the need is felt to run both versions, there absolutely needs to be plenty of practice offered using both versions.

Choose one course and stick with it for this event.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I think the key is that as this event grows (should the host region stay dedicated to the idea), the host region keep in in a set weekend every year. This way other regions could build their schedules around it so they DON&#39;T lose racers to it...
    [/b]

ala June Sprints.

Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

My thoughts regarding which course. One of the things I liked about the ARRC in years past was that they used the chicane (turn 8) ONLY for the ARRC, which slightly reduced the local advantage. So, I&#39;d say use the pro course if you choose just one for the same reason.

My thoughts regarding which course. One of the things I liked about the ARRC in years past was that they used the chicane (turn 8) ONLY for the ARRC, which slightly reduced the local advantage. So, I&#39;d say use the pro course if you choose just one for the same reason. [/b]
    Correct me if I am wrong but the only difference between teh Club and Pro is the Club has the chicane. Going with the Pro reduces the technical aspect of the course, no? Stick with the Club and run it both days.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

AND......the club course is longer in distance than the pro course which has an impact on the number of cars that can be started in an event.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

Correct me if I am wrong but the only difference between teh Club and Pro is the Club has the chicane. Going with the Pro reduces the technical aspect of the course, no? Stick with the Club and run it both days.
    [/b]
    You are correct on both counts. My perspective is that to even the playing field a little for the home track folks vs the never been there before folks, the pro course at least makes the home track folks adapt to something they are not used to.

Of course, y&#39;all can come to Waterford for an IT Bash too if you&#39;d like. Talk about home track advantage!!

[/b]
    Going to the Pro course will not diminish your Mid Ohio experience or the technical aspect of the course. It will add a different element into the equation.

And, I STRONGLY advise the pro course, as better drivers will get thru turn 1 better, and the chicane removes the chance for a pass under braking that the pro course provides. Pro course races better, club course is a better trackday course.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

.....as better drivers will get thru turn 1 better, and the chicane removes the chance for a pass under braking that the pro course provides.
    [/b]
    i completely agree with this asessment and think it&#39;s the main aspect missing from heartland park.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region