Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 020 final drives

The gearbox failure we had at the VIR 13 was the output shaft busting in half...

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9700

...so I'm shopping for new final drive gears. That was a MkII diesel gear and I would like to go lower. Anyone got any bits laying around?

K

available ratios

3.94 16V
    3.94 02A/02J
    4.20 8V
    4.20 16V
    4.24:1 02A/02J
    4.53 8V
    4.64 8V
    4.64 16V
    4.81 8V
    4.81 16V
    5.07 8V
    5.07 16V
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

Not sure if you are interested in a new gearbox but a friend is selling this:

020 transmission with peliquin diff,490*ring and pinion and .80 5th gear.100mm out put flages for axles. This box is brand new just gone through by shawn @ Kraftswerk,comes with spec pressure plate lightened flywheel and clutch net duel friction disc .the fly wheel disc and p/plate were used once since installation to drive my car on and off of the trailer.$2,000.00 for everything.

Im not too familiar with the IT spec rules so I dont know if changing the 5th gear is legal. But for the price of a new R&P this might be worth it if you are rebuilding yours. Just thought I would let you know. I think he might have lowered the price so if you are interested I could double check.

The IT rules are pretty restrictive. I have to run the stock-for-a-MkIII gearbox parts and 1-5 gearset that came with it (a CHE/DFQ or CHB/DFN code) and stock mass flywheel. The Peloquin is a fine answer for the street but it's not on my list of choices for racing.

If that's a NEW final drive, that's a good thing. However, it sounds like you might be talking about a MkII 'box, since a .80 5th and 100mm flanges wouldn't be changes to the right one for my car.

Out of curiousity though, where's it located?

K

Its in Southern Cali about 30 min from Los Angeles

Kirk,

I've got a 3.89 at home, and possibly a 3.94. Give me a ring or shoot me an IM and we can talk about it.

...so I'm shopping for new final drive gears. That was a MkII diesel gear and I would like to go lower.
    [/b]
    Was that already a 4.25 eco-diesel R&P? They're only about $450 at the dealer, but I've heard that the used ones (from street cars) last better for some reason. I think the code is AVX.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

I think all three of the eco diesels ever made are already parted out, and if you get a used one check it out good. The AVX is only in that 91 eco diesel and used ones are hard to find. If the dealer really sells them for $450 that's reasonable, for some reason I was thinking that the dealer wanted more like $600 for them. We have a 3.89 in stock but want to be closer to 4.00+
    Kirk's dead player R&P was a 3.94

3.94 are reasonably avaible from mk2 trans codes. www.scirocco.org/gears has the best list I can find. I have yet to find a listing of mk3 final drives but I think its limited.

I don't know how the 3.94 works for you guys, but for my gear stack I think its one of the better choices though others tell me I should have gotten a 4.2. I just think the 4.2 would run out of legs at places like VIR.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

James you hit the nail on the head. Depending on your 5th gear, tire dia., torque peak etc you have to determine whether the 4.xx will work for you. We tell our customers to go with the 3.94 if they are not going to build 2 boxes or if they have a lower budget. The 4.2 with a good LSD does pull like stink though
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

Oh I agree, a 4.2 would be killer to have at SP, but I was already hitting the end of my legs with the 3.94 at VIR on the front strait. Not the same issue on the back since that hill slows my brick down. I am happy with what I ended up with after killing 2nd gear in the original locker trans.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

...I was already hitting the end of my legs with the 3.94 at VIR on the front strait.[/b]
    In 4th, I hope. I was shifting Kirk's 3.94-equipped Golfie into 5th going by S/F... - GA

I was hitting 5th shortly after track out of hog pen and by brake marker 6 there was no pull left int he car in 5th gear.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

A2 vs A3 gears are a bit different no? That might explain James running out of gear (also possible tire diameter differences 13" vs 14" wheels if he is running 13s.

The 3.94 is great for my A2, although I have not taken it to Road America yet. I have considered trying a shorter gear, but want to see how a fresh motor works with the 3.94 first.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

A2 vs A3 gears are a bit different no?[/b]
    Better be! 'Cause I was going through that last turn in third, grabbing FOURTH on track-out, and shifting into fifth at start/finish. Of course, it appears that Kirk is *still* not running an RPM input into his DL-1...

Either that, or James is shifting at 4000 RPMs!

I run 205/55/14 hoosiers.

But my gearing is shorter then the A3 gear ratios. So with my 3rd gear I was hitting fuel cut (rev limiter) before track out, so I was forced to shift at apex a little early and just carry 4th out of hog pen. But it worked, I still passed a few cars comming out of hog pen in the race and found out exactly how well an MK2 can outbreak some of the ITB hondas.

From the rule book (and yes my gearstack is legal.)

Chassis 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
    A2 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.89
    A3 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.97 0.80
    or 3.45 1.94 1.37 1.03 0.85

So if you have the CHB/DFN right now we are very close, but if you had the long CHE/DFQ that would explain a huge difference.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

...if you have the CHB/DFN right now, you've found a somewhat rare bird, based on what i can determine. I'm still not convinced that those gearboxes should be listed for the 2.0 MkIII. It's been a long time since I looked at the documentation but it's stuck in my memory that there's an issue there...

K

I dont know where that short trans was out of. Maybe the cabrio due to its heavier weight?

But your right, my recollection is shot greg, I was hitting 5th at S/F but I was comming out at 4th. Just took some time to think about it. May was a long long time ago.

I bet if you looked for APW you might find a few.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

James, sounds like you need to defeat your rev limiter.

Also, note that there are 2 different 2nd gears that were delivered in the A2. They changed to a taller gear at some point to enable 0-60mph without hitting 3rd gear. I think it was a 1.94.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Yes I do. The reason I have not is cuz I already blew one head off the car without that. Also whats the use of defeating a limiter if your out of your power band before the limiter?

And given there is only one gear ratio spec line for your gearstack if you ever get protested you will loose.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports