Thread: 88-91 CRX SI Trans Questions

I have a 90 CRX Si that I need to replace the trans on- bearings are shot on the diff, I believe and have a line on a nice used trans but the current owner is not sure what it was out of but believes it was a CRX Si. I found some detail on ID'ing the trans from the 92-95 Civics but not sure if this applies to these also.

Are the halfshafts different with the different sized bearings (35mm and 40mm- my 90 should be a 35mm)?

Is there a way on these trans- 88-91 CRX D series- to tell which trans is which and perhaps from which year?

Lastly, can an 88 Si trans be swapped into a 90 Si or are the input shafts (or something else) different also??

Thanks

One way to tell what trans you have is to count the input shaft splines for the clutch. There are two different ones. I do not remember what they are. If it is an Si trans then it should have the bigger bearings. The 92-95 civic trans internals are different.

Blake

The 88 trans can be used. However, it does have a different number of splines than the 89 / 91 trans, so the clutch / pp assembly must be for an 88.

If that transmission turns out not to be the right one, I have a stock 90 civic Si tranny sitting in my garage - let me know. I also have another tranny with 4.7FD and Quaife........but that's going in my car.... ;-)

Cheers, Mark
    90 ITA Civic - nearly complete
    91 Integra x 2 - TBD
    93 MR2 turbo
    03 Duramax
    08 MS3

88-91 CRX Si gearboxes are interchangeable as complete assembly including clutch & flywheel*.

88 has 21 splines on the main shalf and the clutch is 7-1/2 dia"

89/90/91 has 20 splines

89 has 7-7/8" dia.

90/91 has 8-3/3" dia.

All axles will fit except HF/Civic CX 4-speed models.

Thanks for the info.

Mark- will let you know if I am in need of a different trans.

Anyone rebuilt one of these trans? Is it difficult to do properly?

Anyone know if the front case of an 88 CRX Si trans is interchangable with other years of the same generation?

Also, will a mainshaft from a 90 CRX Si trans be installed in an 88 CRX Si trans?

Thanks