Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input & opinions on some tracks

One of my goals in 2007 is to visit a new track. The tracks I'm considering are VIR, Nelson Ledges, BeaveRun, and Mid Ohio. I've seen videos from VIR & Mid Ohio, but don't know much about Nelson Ledges or BeaveRun. My personal preferences on tracks - love LRP, Road Atlanta, Summit; enjoy the Glen; won't goto NHIS or Pocono anytime soon. I'm sure my decision will also be impacted by event schedules and who I can get to go with me, but am curious to hear your thoughts and some input on what those tracks are like. Also, are there any bigger events at these tracks you recommend more than others? (I wouldn't be looking to make a field trip till June or after.)

Thanks!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Well Dave, a lot of us from NER are headed to VIR in March this year. If you can't do that...save your one shot for this...

Mid-Ohio in August. Trust me.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Mid-Ohio in August. Trust me.
    [/b]
    Wohoo! Can't wait!
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

No question: you owe it to yourself to experience VIR and Mid-Ohio.

Dave, I'm working towards a season of hitting some key events/tracks to fully enjoy the opportunities. Included in those are VIR in March, Mid-Ohio in August, Road Atlanta in November, and Mosport in ?. The point being, let's not focus on a specific series, rather let's enjoy racing and, more importantly, driving.

Join us.

Greg

VIR Rocks!

Mid-Ohio is cool too, but you don't get much track time for your racing dollar at most SCCA Weekends.

So what is going on in August?
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

So what is going on in August? [/b]
    Nothing yet but there is a group bouncing around the idea of an 'IT Festival' to compliment the ARRC's unofficial National Championship. This could be a top-notch Championship event with a unique format and flavor - all with the focus on Improved Touring. Details and timing are getting 'tested' by the capable folks out there to see if it's possible.

WHO WANTS IN?

Andy Bettencourt

I am putting aside my bonus for VIR and if we all go to Mid-Ohio I can be easily talked in. Now the wife on the other hand...
    Jeremy Billiel

My personal favorites: Mosport & Bridgehampton, but the latter isn't any more:~(

Nothing yet but there is a group bouncing around the idea of an 'IT Festival' to compliment the ARRC's unofficial National Championship. This could be a top-notch Championship event with a unique format and flavor - all with the focus on Improved Touring. Details and timing are getting 'tested' by the capable folks out there to see if it's possible.

Andy, where are they talking about location?

Andy, I would caution you about the weather. The april national at Summit Point that is only a few hours north of VIR has been colder than a witches tit the last few years. And that is in april. I cannot imagine VIR is any better in march. Its amazing how long a weekend can be when the wind is blowing steady at 20 mph and it hits a high of 40 degrees. You also run into starting and tire issues. And how well you have mapped your ECU for temps that low. Dress warm.

Andy, where are they talking about location?

[/b]
    Why, Mid-Ohio of course!

Andy, I would caution you about the weather. The april national at Summit Point that is only a few hours north of VIR has been colder than a witches tit the last few years. And that is in april. I cannot imagine VIR is any better in march. Its amazing how long a weekend can be when the wind is blowing steady at 20 mph and it hits a high of 40 degrees. You also run into starting and tire issues. And how well you have mapped your ECU for temps that low. Dress warm. [/b]
    Yes. We will keep an eye on the weather. It's called the 'Snow Melter', no?

Andy Bettencourt

AB what's the date of this thingie at M-O? Gotta plan far ahead for something like this
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

If we were smart, we'd go to VIR or some track in that direction in October, and leave the trailers there to save hassle on the way to the ARRCs.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

AB what's the date of this thingie at M-O? Gotta plan far ahead for something like this [/b]
    It's still in the conceptual stages with dates being considered - but something in August looks to be the best option.

Andy Bettencourt

I usually only make it to Mid-O once a year, even though it is only 3 hrs away. I guess this year it will be in August!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

fortunatly last years weather was great at VIR. and can you say 101 cars in the enduro. that was a wild race. awesome track. i would like to go to mid-ohio and nelson ledges
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Greg, I've never given a thought about the whole series thing so that's not an issue for me. I also agree that getting a group like we do for the ARRC makes an event especially when away from our home tracks that much more fun.

Any idea what the date in Sept. would be if it happens? Are you talking about the NASA Championships on 8/11 - 8/13? (The same weekend as a LRP event which I wouldn't mind missing.)

One other event for you to consider - One of my favorite events has been the Summit Point Labor Day double. It's just an awesome event! I do like the idea of an IT festival. Maybe we could also get the NARRC Runoffs into the festival as well (or was that the plan already)?

I really don't hear very much about Nelson Ledges or BeaveRun, and am not sure why. Do most people just feel that MidO is a much better track than these two? Just curious.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Of the tracks you mentioned visiting, I'd choose them in this order.

VIR: Beautiful facility, FUN corners, every type of corner you can imagine except banked the right way!
    Mid O: Historically, everyone's heard of it. Nice facility, challenging corners, not as smooth as VIR.
    Nelson: Fun, flowing track, interesting corners, narrow, maybe bumpy (the rumors have always been that it was repaved, haven't seen it yet, but haven't been there in 3-4 years) facility slightly better than the old Bryar track (Kind of primitive)
    Beaver Run: Haven't been there, but I'm told that's going to change soon.

Steph is particularly enamored of Road America, (it was a fun weekend on a lot of levels), my opinion is that for our type of cars it's 5-6 drag strips between average corners. Good Brats tho!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Why, Mid-Ohio of course!
    [/b]

Never been there, I'll have to learn the track, but..............I'm in if it's in semi warm weather.

Nelson Ledges--Fastest 2.0 Mile track East of the Mississippi. Facilities are just fine.

[Nelson: Fun, flowing track, interesting corners, narrow, maybe bumpy (the rumors have always been that it was repaved, haven't seen it yet, but haven't been there in 3-4 years) facility slightly better than the old ]

Nelson does have flush john and HOT showers. It's a work in progress. You probably would not recognize it. No need to bring a lawn mower, grass i usually shorter than a lot of tracks. Friendly helpfull management.