Thread: Enclosed Trailer Questions

I am working on a project that is similar to an enclosed trailer and curious about how/if condensation is an issue in enclosed trailers.

Most seem to have metal (alum) roofs or plastic/frp. Anyone have issues or not with condensation inside the trailers? Please let me know what part of the country you are in.

Thanks,
    Devin

I'm in the NE, and no issues. I leave the skylight open a bit though at all times.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I have never had a problem with it but I do remember one guy who claimed it was a real problem. might have been some kind of problem with his trailer. he was not the brightest guy, you know AS driver.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Normally, I'd come back like you guys and say I'd noticed no problems with condensation - but NEVER again. Last winter I left the NX2000 in my enclosed trailer, partially disassembled, with a lot of loose parts (engine stuff, mostly) in the hatch and passenger floor area.

Didn't think much of it until March rolled around and we grabbed it to bring it to Matt's shop for the season. When I opened up the trailer, I was horrified: EVERY bit of exposed metal had significant surface rust. Struts, rotors, brakes, MY NEW CAMSHAFTS - everything. And this wasn't basic surface rust, either; the cams were pitted badly enough that I had to throw them away...

I have a different trailer this year but I'm not taking any chances; this year things will be different. I've purchased a controllable dehumidifier, one where you can set the humidity level and it'll cycle on and off, and that's now in the trailer. I'll be consistently going in there and checking for any kind of rust and/or corrosion. If necessary, I'll buy a small thermostatically-controlled electric space heater and plug that in, too.

For what it cost me in lost parts and rework, the cost of a dehumidifier and heater are peanuts...

Greg, CT

Sailboats have the same problem. i see a lot of them with solor powered vents. of course if it rains it will pull in water from anywhere that is not tight. but them it will dry it out too. oil on those parts will help. I never had the problem but mine had holes in the floor from old age so it was the same temp inside and out all the time.

I have an older Featherlite Econolite enclosed 24 with a metal roof and full metal floor. In the summer AND winter, well ok fall, if I'm trying to keep it sort of warm or sort of cool there is significant condensation on the roof.

This is inevitable almost anywhere if there is a large discreptancy between the inside and outside temp and there is some humidity around. (I'm in the SEast Div so on rare occasions!? there's humidity)

It's really not much of a problem, occasional drips here or there but no biggie. Main isssue is that it makes my ceiling look dirty or stained and I have to wipe it down every once in a while.

Travers
    ITS 19