Thread: 07 MiDiv Schedule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

scott -

it's a good idea, but i'm not sure it would solve the problem. I think then you'd have everyone fighting over the national race weekends, and nobody would want to host the regional only events. i know we don't like the idea that we're "second class," but i'm pretty sure the school/regional/pdx weekends are money losers. remember topeka last year?

yes, i'm with you 100% on how poorly the dates are arranged though. there are forces working beneath the surface that have influenced this though.
    [/b]
    Travis,

I feel like less of a "second class citizen" at a Double Regional that provides lots of competition, decent track time and no chance that my regional run group will be cancelled if National races run long or get delayed (this has happened).

Here is the concept - having fewer Regional races will make the ones that are held more profitable.

With respect to scheduling, giving the regions a choice between two different event types means that they can schedule events in ways that help ensure good participation for every event that they put on. The fact is that organizations like KVRG are willing to put on known money losing events on the HOPE that two big National weekends will bail them out. To my thinking this is a bad busness policy and and a member of the KC region I don't like my money wasted or wagered in this way. And be very clear on this....when the National Races fail to make a year profitable which races will groups like KVRG and MVRG cut? The Regional races.

From an IT racers perspective is there not much difference between a Regional/National that offers a Restricted Regional on Sunday and a Double Regional. If you seperate Regional and National races you creare a distinction that makes it clear where an IT racer is going to go with his car. It should make IT racing better and that is important to all of us.

The alternative is to elminate Regional Only classes and give everyone that races, pays dues, builds a car, and buys tires the same chance in this club. Oh, and I know you don't like this idea so you don't have to comment.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Travis,

I feel like less of a "second class citizen" at a Double Regional that provides lots of competition, decent track time and no chance that my regional run group will be cancelled if National races run long or get delayed (this has happened).

Here is the concept - having fewer Regional races will make the ones that are held more profitable.
    [/b]
    i've never felt second class even at nationals, but yes, i agree with you 100%. see my previous unpopular comments regarding relocation of memphis and hastings.

With respect to scheduling, giving the regions a choice between two different event types means that they can schedule events in ways that help ensure good participation for every event that they put on. The fact is that organizations like KVRG are willing to put on known money losing events on the HOPE that two big National weekends will bail them out. To my thinking this is a bad busness policy and and a member of the KC region I don't like my money wasted or wagered in this way. And be very clear on this....when the National Races fail to make a year profitable which races will groups like KVRG and MVRG cut? The Regional races.
    [/b]
    it may be wrong, but here's my understanding of this situation;
    the money LOSING events are/were the driver's school weekends at MAM and HPT, specifically the one at HPT in the dead of summer. there's some arrangement (which i don't remember the details of) that every track has to put on at least one driver's school per year. even though the specific event is a money loser, it's probably profitable in the long run as a result of gaining new drivers. all the other events at MAM and HPT are profitable. i don't really see this scenario changing. i think what KVRG/MVRG/DMVR or whomever has done a fantastic job of is finding a way to make the school weekend a success through the annual 2hr enduro. i've been involved in it every year since they started and it is a TON of fun. KVRG/MVRG/KCR has started having the PDX stuff on our school weekends which i think is also a good idea. tack on another 20 or so entries and it turns your event from a loss to a break-even or slightly better scenario, all the while adding members and potential future drivers/workers.

but, as we've both said before, the situation could be further improved by cutting down the schedule.

From an IT racers perspective is there not much difference between a Regional/National that offers a Restricted Regional on Sunday and a Double Regional. If you seperate Regional and National races you creare a distinction that makes it clear where an IT racer is going to go with his car. It should make IT racing better and that is important to all of us.

The alternative is to elminate Regional Only classes and give everyone that races, pays dues, builds a car, and buys tires the same chance in this club. Oh, and I know you don't like this idea so you don't have to comment.
    [/b]
    for the most part your right, but i certainly take the Mid-Am races more seriously than the IT Tour races. i'm not in favor of going national, but we've been over that.

will i finally get a chance to introduce myself at the annual meeting on tuesday?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region