IMHO the 944 8valve cars make great race cars. IT prep is pretty good for the cars except for 1 thing.

MOTOR....

The cars take well to alot of chassis mods and there is a nice aftermarket support for them. The cars are robust and also take a pounding at the track pretty well. The issue is the 25% gain expected from an IT motor. Even when you down rate that to 18% getting more than 135 rwhp from motor in IT trim is not that easy. Some places show it can be done like Milledge, but the costs shoot up to the extreme. I am not sure how these costs compare to other cars, but lack of IT competitive hp is the biggest killer for the 944.

Really the best way to get 944s to run in IT is to class the car in ITA at 2650lbs and limit power to 140 rwhp. The great thing with that is 2650 is not hard weight to achieve and simple rebuild will get you close to 140 rwhp. This makes build a competitive 944 pretty easy. Clearly this kind of thing does not fit in the IT philosphy as you would need to restrict the development of the motor more severly than normally allowed. This would be special adjustment for the 944 and does not meet class intent.

So what is the answer? Hard to say? My car as preppared now is 2600lbs and 134whp is just a bit slower than an ITA 240SX. Of course this is on toyo's with 944 and V710's on the 240SX. Point is that I think 2650lbs sub 140 rwhp 944 would be good match for the 240SX. Putting the car in ITA at 2750 is ok, but the problem is gettign 155 whp is not easy to get and most cars would get run over anyway. So nobody would build it when insead they can run it in places were a 2650lbs 135 whp car is competitive.