Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: 944 weight reduction, any results

Nort got out of ITS about 2 years ago and went into HSR with an old 911.

Mark
    Mark Nasrallah
    944 S
    #54 ITS

He is running a FIA 30. in HSR, just came back from the glen... Is Gary Stratton building your cup car? He helped with mine..
    Paul Goyette
    Brumos Porsche
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    lildebbieracing.com

Is this recognized by all region?

http://216.197.105.57/GCR-Spec944-ITspec.pdf

Not by any SCCA regions that I know.
    Those are NASA/Spec 944 rules so they would be recognized by NASA regions and PCA has now adapted those rules to create Spec 944 classes for PCA Club racing.
    R.L. Mitchell
    Honorary
    SARRC Invitational Challenge
    "Pinball"

The first sentence of the doc said

9.1.13. Spec Porsche 944 (S944) CATEGORY
    "These specifications are part of the SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) and all automobiles shall conform with GCR Section 9."[/b]

It's my read that the Spec 944 rules are actually BASED ON the GCR and SCCA IT rules. The wording in the doc is a little misleading, I think.

K

Syntax error.
    You are not looking at the GCR, nor a part of it.
    Part of the text of the Spec 944 rules is in the GCR. Spec 944 uses the GCR as a reference because many are already familiar with it and to avoid writing a duplicate lengthy rulebook.

I'm not knocking Spec 944, I'm a 944 guy, but I wonder if Comeau has SCCA permission?
    R.L. Mitchell
    Honorary
    SARRC Invitational Challenge
    "Pinball"

Syntax error.
    You are not looking at the GCR, nor a part of it.
    Part of the text of the Spec 944 rules is in the GCR. Spec 944 uses the GCR as a reference because many are already familiar with it and to avoid writing a duplicate lengthy rulebook.

I'm not knocking Spec 944, I'm a 944 guy, but I wonder if Comeau has SCCA permission?
    [/b]

It is a little complicated, but Tim Comeau, NASA, PCA & POC don't have anything to do with these rules.

Spec-944 was created in 2002 in Arizona just a few months after 944-spec was created in Arizona in 2002.

There were two founders of 944-spec in the Spring of 2002 here in Arizona. Over the summer the promoted the class and the Local NASA region picked up on it. SCCA wanted nothing to do with it. In time as sometimes happens the two founders began to have some disagreements. In the end they split up. 944-spec stayed in NASA and the other founder left and formed spec-944. Similar names, but different classes.

From the start the rules were similar, but not 100% the same. Over time NASA National adopted the 944-spec class rules. These are one you see in NASA, PCA and very similar version in the POC.

Spec-944 on the other hand ran in some local only racing orgs and then through sufficient car numbers and lobbying it was adopted in the Az region of SCCA. It took a few years, but it developed into its own class in the Az Region. From at that point the rules were revamped. Orginally they were free from rules with no basic starting point. (NASA rules were developed from the ground up for the 944). However with the SCCA adoption of the class they changed in form to a modified SCCA IT rule set. So while little changes were made to cars the rules now read as SCCA IT rules with these changes. The local group has had some success getting other regions to adopt the rules for events were 5-10 cars wil show, but ingeneral this is a regional only class and it NOT recognized in other regions. The NASA 944 spec class however is regconized in every region NASA runs in. Fields are largest in the west however.

For more details
    944 Spec = NASA National Class & Porsche Club of America(SP1) & Porsche owners club(GSR) derived classes = http://944spec.org

Spec-944 = SCCA Arizona Region only class http://spec-944.com

BTW... I am the Arizona Region 944 spec series director for NASA and have been involved in 944-spec since the spring of 2002. I have the 2nd or 3rd 944 spec car ever built depending on how you want to count things. Tim Comeau is my counter part for the Southern California NASA region. Tim was instrumental in getting PCA and POC adoption of the NASA rule set. The PCA and POC rules are 95% the same as NASA rules. The differences are due to some recient changes made to the NASA rules at the start of 2007 that have not flowed into the PCA or POC rules. Both orgs have the choice of syncing NASA rules if they choose to.
    I am not involved with the SCCA spec 944 class, but I do know quite a bit about them. SCCA spec-944 rules are probabyl 80% the same as NASA rules. There are a number of detail differences however and in general the NASA classes have a more restrictive spec. Some Arizona guys run both NASA and SCCA 944 classes and do well in both.
    Joe P.
    Porsche 944 Racer

I'm new here...first post. I've been all PCA for 6 years and have some experience with SCCA when my buddy and I built an ITB '84 VW GTI about 5 years ago. He drove and I broke knuckles.

With that said, this has been good reading. I am sitting in my garage in front of my newly purchased project 89 944 getting it ready for ITS. I had a 86 944 Turbo spec'd for GT3 in PCA and wanted to leave the cubic dollar factor for a more cost effective class and be able to do SCCA. This car is an 89 and has the 2.7L motor from the factory (basically the 2.5 crank with the 3.0L 104mm pistons). The GCR in ITS shows weight at 2635 or 60lbs more than the 944 with the 2.5. This is still an 8v motor. Has anyone evaluated this setup? It seems to have more potential and I am sure I can get the car below weight.