Thread: tires for 240sx ITA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mr. H, forgive the leap of faith. I must have ASS-umed from your posts that you had reached a level of experience that would lead you to the more intricate details of tire selection and "racing" up-keep.
    When I raced Nationals I used BFGoodrich tires and enjoyed occassional benefits. Over the last 6 years of racing IT with the same car, I've acquired 4 sets of wheels (not including the OEM wheels) so you could say my "investment" provides me a bit of tire & wheel "luxury"...haha But these days almost everything comes out of my pocket. By the way, I didn't go to the Sebring test day today so I've actually got 3 different sets of brand new tires...ugh
    Alright, back to your issue. So at this point have you completed any of the required "schooling" to earn your competition license? It seems that you haven't. While it's comendable to research here to gather as much information as possible, right now I'd say don't sweat the details. Make sure everything is good to go on the car, all the fluids, brakes, safety equipment, etc. Don't run 205s, but do take advantage of any clearances on the Hoosiers (NOT the As, but the Rs), Toyos, Hankooks, whatever. If you're doing the SCCA school route, you'll have two weekends right there to wear out some tires. But don't even bother worrying about whether you've got the "right" tires, you'll have way too much going on for that.
    I think my original advice still applies: if money is not an issue, continue using the tire that came with the car, and prepare to have spares available as you learn what you can and can't do with a Hoosier. Otherwise, get the least expensive racing tire and concentrate more on honing your race craft. Keep it simple in the beginning, that way you'll actually have more fun.
    Good luck, have fun,
    Michael

I didn't go to the Sebring test day today so I've actually got 3 different sets of brand new tires...ugh[/b]
    Michael, I take it from your earlier post that one of those sets are the Kumhos? If so keep a close eye on them; apparently they don't like too much camber or pressure (you've probably already read the thread on this in the tech section). I had one blow out a section of tread about the size of my palm last weekend, even though it was on its 6th heat cycle at the time, and had shown no signs of impending failure up to that point.

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5