Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 ARRC Planning

...Dalylight savings time is not going to be in effect next year...[/b]
    Correction: IS going to be in effect later next year. Da Prez signed the order moving Daylight Saving Time (note the lack of plural) effective 2007, ostensibly for energy savings; it goes into effect two weeks earlier, and is rescinded one week later, than in 2006.

Next year it goes into effect March 11 (vice 04.02.06) and is rescinded November 4th (vice 10.29.06), the Sunday traditionally PRIOR to the ARRC weekend...

Why this stuff is in my brain, I have no clue. - GA

Butch, how about the same schedule as 06 for 07 with as you say only real hardships Sat. am.
    I think it went pretty good.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

forgive the arrc newbie question, but there is not any "qualifying" required to attend the arrc is there?

i am looking at vacation planning for 2007 and am considering coming to run it or at least to spectate.

tia, tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Nope, nothing to qualify differently than a normal regional weekend. If you have the option of racing versus watching, then race!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Why this stuff is in my brain, I have no clue. - GA [/b]
    I do brain surgery as well as gyn exams part time on the weekends, let me know if you want to setup some time, maybe I can help you with your problem.

dr. dj

Moving the date two weeks earlier is not an option because of proximity conflicts with the Petit (I can see going to Don Panoz and saying, "Don, we want to run the ARRC two weeks earlier so can you move your event with 90,000 spectators to a different weekend?" :P ), our desire to work with NCR on the Goblins Go and 13-Hour weekends, plus the strange fact that it's traditionally better weather in Atlanta in early November than late October (strange but true). We also have established the second weekend in November as our traditional date and I hate to mess with that.

The 2006 schedule worked "OK", but we need to add a run group for 2007 with the addition of ITR and the desire to move the TCC cars out of the ITS group. I'm also thinking ITO will increase in its first year as an Atlanta region class (we're already getting calls from people wanting to run with us) and they're a natural to run with the TCC cars. We're also getting more and more road racing stock cars, so I expect that group to remain around 40+ cars even though we move the ITO cars out. And as I said before, if you suggest dropping the Ground-Pounders race group (SPO, GTA, LMSC) the next words out of your mouth better be "And yes, I DO volunteer to organize the event next year."

We'll look into what might be happening with Daylight Saving Time being extended. I know back in Nixon's presidency (before many of you were born) they went to year-round DST as an energy measure and soon rescinded it because parents were concerned about their kid having to wait for the school buses in the dark. And while we'd gain an hour of sunlight at the end of the day, when would the track be light enough to start in the morning?

Lots of things to consider, and I/we appreciate your (continued) input...

Butch Kummer
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Moving the date two weeks earlier is not an option because of proximity conflicts with the Petit (I can see going to Don Panoz and saying, "Don, we want to run the ARRC two weeks earlier so can you move your event with 90,000 spectators to a different weekend?" :P ), our desire to work with NCR on the Goblins Go and 13-Hour weekends, plus the strange fact that it's traditionally better weather in Atlanta in early November than late October (strange but true). We also have established the second weekend in November as our traditional date and I hate to mess with that.

The 2006 schedule worked "OK", but we need to add a run group for 2007 with the addition of ITR and the desire to move the TCC cars out of the ITS group. I'm also thinking ITO will increase in its first year as an Atlanta region class (we're already getting calls from people wanting to run with us) and they're a natural to run with the TCC cars. We're also getting more and more road racing stock cars, so I expect that group to remain around 40+ cars even though we move the ITO cars out. And as I said before, if you suggest dropping the Ground-Pounders race group (SPO, GTA, LMSC) the next words out of your mouth better be "And yes, I DO volunteer to organize the event next year."

We'll look into what might be happening with Daylight Saving Time being extended. I know back in Nixon's presidency (before many of you were born) they went to year-round DST as an energy measure and soon rescinded it because parents were concerned about their kid having to wait for the school buses in the dark. And while we'd gain an hour of sunlight at the end of the day, when would the track be light enough to start in the morning?

Lots of things to consider, and I/we appreciate your (continued) input...

Butch Kummer [/b]

Butch, 2 weeks was just a thought, I could be 1 month as well, I was just trying to buy you some more light. It seem to me that if you are sticking with your date, you will definately need to run more races on Sun and some people will have to bite the bullet and be missing Monday @ work......what a shame. I reality it is a small price to pay so that the workers & officials, God bless them all, aren't rushed.

Is there anyway we can get more registration stuff accomplished online so when drivers arrive all they have to do is sign a waiver and pick up their packets? Just a thought to keep the registration lines moving.

Is there anyway we can get more registration stuff accomplished online so when drivers arrive all they have to do is sign a waiver and pick up their packets? Just a thought to keep the registration lines moving.
    [/b]
    The Registration process is constantly being reviewed/revised and the DLB system we went to this year has generally met with great reviews. We did have start-up issues with the Express window Thursday night because many of the people in the building were unfamiliar with our new folderless registration system, but things seemed to go fairly smoothly there after the first hour (and Registration opened an hour earlier than scheduled as well). I'm also not sure why we can only have one window for changes and payment, so we'll work on that for future events (not just the ARRC). It sure seems like crew and drivers could use the same Express Window and create another one for changes and payment, but there are probably legal ramifications that I'm not even aware of.

True story: About ten years ago I was involved in a "come to Jesus" meeting with a group of experienced (and opinionated) registrars as we tried to streamline the process. We couldn't even get those in the room to agree how the process worked NOW, much less what we could do to improve it. The only thing accomplished that night was we decided we needed a special folding table for the bins for the folders, then it took almost two hours to determine the dimensions of the table! Oh the joys of being in a leadership position...

BK
    Butch Kummer

Butch,
    One of the things that I noticed that helps is having someone walk the waiting line directing people to the right windows. (I think you were doing some of that.) If nothing more it makes the line waiting a little easier. One thing that I have suggested for our Region (TX) to try is maybe factoring a buck or so into the entry (or getting it sponsored) and having some refreshments and snacks setup by the registration station. Myself, I probably talk to more different folks at registration than almost any other time of the weekend. That way you turn what some people look at as sort of a pain into a social kickoff for the weekend. It sort of turns registration into a semi cocktail party, and from my experiences folks in Georgia know a lot about holding those!
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Butch...

Not sure how I feel about this, but it is a thought... I know that Thursday has always been a "track test day" but what about renting the track for the extra day and adding it as another day in the schedule? Have an shorter practice session thursday followed by a qualifying session for ALL the race groups including the Enduro, and the Pro-IT race, Miata races etc. Then Friday can be a second qualifying session for the ARRC races in the AM and the afternoon could be filled with the normal Pro-IT races and possibly the Miata madness. Saturday could be the quick start of the day hardship practice (for those that get permissio0n) followed by ARRC ONLY races. Sunday could be an entire second day of "extra" races that followed once again after a morning hardship that you needed permission for.

Raymond

Mac-

great idea!!!! People might actually just hang out a registration for a few hours even after they have registered, and or before they have. Cook up some burgers also and I am sure everyone will be happy after the long tows!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Butch,

After the recent power shift in congress you may be able to get Bush to sign a new order to push the end of DST back yet another week. After all, he is going to have to start being nice to people too.

Hope to see you at the meeting.

Tom Sprecher

I don't know who the idiot was that called for a meeting in Atlanta at 7:00 on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but he needs to have his head examined! You guys thought traffic at the ARRC was busy, GA 400 and I-285 was a damn zoo last night! Oh wait, it was MY meeting...

Current plan for 2007:

Dates will be Nov. 8-11.

Test day on Thursday - it's a major money-maker for Road Atlanta and they won't give it up. Having snacks and beverages at Registration that evening is an excellent idea.

Nine groups on Friday, 20 minute qualifier followed by a 15-minute qualifier (all but Pro-IT), followed by the Pro-IT race.

"True" hardship warm-up lap on Saturday morning - requires a hall pass from the Chief Steward and will be ONE LAP only (enter track at Turn 1, enter pits at Turn 11). Two groups - open and closed - and it's just to make sure the car steers and stops after rebuilding it Friday night.

Eight ARRC Championship races starting at 8:15 Saturday. Not necessarily in this order, but current thinking on the groupings is:

ASM, SSM
    ITB, ITC
    ITA, IT7
    ITR, ITS
    ASR, CF, CFC, CS2, FS, FSC*, F1000*
    ITO, TCC, ST*
    SPO, GTA, LMSC, BP*
    SPU, ITT, SRX, GTP, ITU, DP*

* - new National classes that will not be invited to the 2007 Runoffs

Obviously the groupings could change based on pre-entries, but this is what we're thinking right now.

Enduro qualifying Sunday morning, race in afternoon. Length will be at least two hours, but is dependent on what else we run on Sunday (a number of options being explored right now).

The other two big changes from 2006 is that (1) we will NOT accept new entries at the window and (2) you'll need to pay your fees prior to showing up. Atlanta Region does not deposit checks until after the event and refunds PayPal for no-shows with absolutely no questions asked, so there's NO reason not to sign up if you think there's even the slightest chance you'll be coming. Ends up we've been killing our Registrars, particularly with last minute entries and money reconciliation, and this will help spread that work load out over a month or so. We also anticipate opening on-line registration right after our Labor Day event at Nashville, with a deadline of Oct. 15 if you want to be listed in the "Spectator Guide" (which will be much improved in 2007).

Looking forward to seeing y'all there...

Butch Kummer
    2007 ARRC Committee Chairman
    Butch Kummer

ITB, ITC
    [/b]
    I like this grouping. I will try to plan a season that ends in GA next year
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Looks great! I'm impressed with the level of consideration given to the inputs we provided.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Nice job and the new changes make a lot of sense.

I thought about going last night but after hearing the nasty traffic reports starting at about 3 I decided against it. No wonder I can't get through to anybody today.

Tom Sprecher

If we're not driving next year, it's almost certain that I'll be doing (helping with) the event photography for Atlanta Region again. In that case, if anyone is interested, I'd like to try to get some "ImprovedTouring.com at the ARRC" photos, both on track and off. Maybe we could work out some sort of recognition symbol for paddock spaces and cars so I can tell who you are? Peter Keane had one of the older ImprovedTouring.com decals on his podium-finishing ITB car this year, but I only noticed it by accident as I was dodging showers of champagne from the podium.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

dj10, its rather difficult to say just move it X weeks up the schedule. We got a SEDIV schedule to play around with and frankly after working 3-5 days after Petit I don't want to see Road Atlanta for a few weeks. The time away is incredibly necessary for many workers who enjoy both events. Then of course you have a Road Atlanta schedule to play with, if they could run the track 365 days/year they would but 275 is not unheard of.

Maybe a 3rd tiltbed and wrecker could be brought in for Saturday, it will help when we have 12 pickups(or more) because folks feel like hittin everything but the pace car.

I don't know who the idiot was that called for a meeting in Atlanta at 7:00 on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but he needs to have his head examined! You guys thought traffic at the ARRC was busy, GA 400 and I-285 was a damn zoo last night! Oh wait, it was MY meeting...
    [/b]
    Pffft, if you want real fun try going from 285/75 fustercluck upto Gwinnett for a hockey game at 4 in the afternoon on Friday. I did that once... 3 years ago. Never again... out of the area by 2.
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C

RIP Dimebag- August 20, 1966 to December 8th, 2004.

Jason, do it! I said that I'd only go one year as it is a long drive from CT but that changed. It is worth it. The track is awesome and the event is a blast. The stories (memories) alone a worth it.

Jake - I shouldn't have missed your "corner weighting" exercise with blocks of wood and such.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Give us some input on the evening socials. Friday we presented the 2006 PRO IT awards, and I really like this since most of the guys are there. Saturday we presented the ARRC awards and it was very unorganized, but we promise this won't happen next year. In previous years we had a band on Friday and a worker appreciation gift presentation. The worker appreciation was moved to our July event and the band was deleted due to the small crowd that stayed for the music and cost.
    We will continue the dinners and the PRO IT presentation. Do you have thoughts, comments, or suggestions on presentation of ARRC awards, entertainments, or something entirely different??

Give us some input on the evening socials. Friday we presented the 2006 PRO IT awards, and I really like this since most of the guys are there. Saturday we presented the ARRC awards and it was very unorganized, but we promise this won't happen next year. In previous years we had a band on Friday and a worker appreciation gift presentation. The worker appreciation was moved to our July event and the band was deleted due to the small crowd that stayed for the music and cost.
    We will continue the dinners and the PRO IT presentation. Do you have thoughts, comments, or suggestions on presentation of ARRC awards, entertainments, or something entirely different??
    [/b]
    I hate to say this but ask Dave and others that have been to "NASA" events, especially the ones that go to that Summit Point event.... I think that they might have a better grip on how to through a party

If you want a band, wich I fully support it, but it needs to be one that (no offence) is a little more hip on the younger crowd, not saying rap, but at least new age rock and roll, and or in the south you may be able to get away with possibly having some new age country. The bands that I have sceen at past ARRC races are great for those that are interested in thier music, but I think that it caters to a small group of people.

Just an idea... but how about instead of a band, maybe you can get someone to volunteer and put together a video from this years arrc, showing in-car from many if not all the contenders and any "out of car" video that someone may have taken. Put it up with an expensive projector and some good speakers on a 8' of bigger screen...

Also for the dinner on Friday night or Saturday night make it more of a banquette style... charge $5.00 (free for workers) in advance to help cover the cost.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com