Thread: Looking for IT refresher

Hi there.

I have been away from racing for a long time. I did some solo2 but I can't get addicted to it like I could when I TT'd and IT'd.

Today, what are the competitive cars?

time

I am partial to BMW's and FWD drive cars, and I am 6'3" so, even though I have a Miata, I don't want to curl myself into one when I race.

What are the "not too small" FWD cars that are competitive..?

What's changed in the rules since 99?
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

Why not stick with BMW's?? With all due respect to those who love their FWD cars, but real race cars don't lift their rear wheel like a dog on corner entry :P Also, the tracks here in So-Cal suit BMW's quite well. There's also a wealth of older BMW sedans to take advantage of. Why don't you visit the Cal-Club web site at: http://www.calclub.com/ We'll be running at Cal-Speedway Fontana in January. I know of a nice e-30 M3 that'll be for sale soon, used for J-Stock, so it's already got the cage in it, it'd make a great ITR platform.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

yes, and there are other BMWs that are good platforms. I always thought the 325e could rock at certain tracks in A. And I think theres a move to get the 318 into ITB.

And another turn key car would be the current ITS E36, which could stay in ITS until the budget allowed the wheels to move to ITR.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Considering I live about 3 miles from Jeff Ireland's shop and the "Moons" live down the street, I probably should stick with BMW.

I'd really like a 318is... I worked for Leo Franchi way, way back (just around the Firehawk days) and despite their poor performance in IT, are wonderfull cars to drive...

Then again I could go Spec E30 and get a 325is and have more fun and torque too!

Secretly I desire a Honda... It's like having an "I win" button.
    Racer of old BMW's.

Considering I live about 3 miles from Jeff Ireland's shop and the "Moons" live down the street, I probably should stick with BMW.

I'd really like a 318is... I worked for Leo Franchi way, way back (just around the Firehawk days) and despite their poor performance in IT, are wonderfull cars to drive...

Then again I could go Spec E30 and get a 325is and have more fun and torque too!

Secretly I desire a Honda... It's like having an "I win" button.
    [/b]

I have it on good authority that spec e-36 may be much better subscribed next season out here than spec e-30. I was running with Steve Dais last weekend and he's got a cam and header sitting in his garage for install over the winter, Lance Leong crashed out at Laguna-Seca, and Brian Pierson was running the full K-Prepared set up. So spec e-30's not as healthy out here. The early e-30 318 is already in ITB and should give the Honda's and VW's a real run for their money. This is the NEW and IMPROVED IT, the ITAC is working hard to take away all the "I win" buttons.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Where can I read the detailed changes to the IT rules?
    Racer of old BMW's.

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2007.pdf

As someone who somewhat-recently did the same thing as you, I strongly encourage you to READ the rules thoroughly with an open mind. A lot has changed in the last few years...

The new rules are out at http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2007.pdf for downloading.

I don't know if it's rational but I like the 318Ti Sport as an ITA car. Or a Z3, if you have to go Bavarian.

K

HONDUH

What's funny about this is that I talked to a big race shop owner who chewed me a new one for making the Hondas an also ran. "Legislated out of competiveness" was the term.

That said, the Z3 seems an uphill battle. Those I've talked to lament the issues with electronics and rear suspension.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jensen Healey. Really reliable, lots of power, great brakes!

<--- 6&#39;3&#39;&#39; 200lbs and fits in a miata quite nicely, so don&#39;t throw away that miata just yet.

Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

OK, downloading the pdf.

The Miata is the very first car I Autocrossed. it&#39;s a 1990, we&#39;ve had it since new. It&#39;s not going anywhere. Especially door to door with you numbskulls :P
    Racer of old BMW's.

OK, downloading the pdf.

The Miata is the very first car I Autocrossed. it&#39;s a 1990, we&#39;ve had it since new. It&#39;s not going anywhere. Especially door to door with you numbskulls :P
    [/b]
    I know of one guy kicking Miata/Del Sole Arse in STS2 with a Z3 back in the Carolina&#39;s. There&#39;s a 318iS on auto-trader that&#39;s got a crushed roof might make a great donner, if you can talk his price down some, $2500 seems kind of high.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter