Thread: New doorbar rule

The 07 GCR is online. Running through the cage rules I came across the X bar clarification and was surprised by the change in the gutting rule.

G. Side Protection:Two (2) side tubes connecting the front and rear hoops across both door openings are mandatory. Door side tubes may extend into the door. NASCAR-style side protection, or one bar bisecting another to form an “X” is permitted. The door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed to facilitate this type of side protection.[/b]
    Ok... so, now we can gut the door no matter what style of side protection is used???? Am I interpreting that correctly?
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I think you are, Scott, but don't overlook that the gutting is only permitted "to facilitate" whatever door protection you choose. I know we've discussed the meaning of "facilitate" here before but I think it requires something more than mere ease of installation. E.g., if you already have an X that did not require going into the door, and you make no changes to the X, you can't gut anything.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Gotcha. So, rather than removing the door to facilitate doorbar installation, I'll just gut it and stick my head in the cavity to weld (JK)

Facilitate 1. to make easier or less difficult; help forward (an action, a process, etc.):
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

just in case you did not it in the rules section:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=8482
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

so the "X" is ok still and we don't need to install "Nascar" door bars?

I have paid little attention to this rule (procrastination) so I am sorry for not reading the masses of other posts. I have always had an "X" so I am wondering if I am still legal for 07?

Raymond "Yeah, I admit I should know this stuff, but I am being a bit lazy" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

so the "X" is ok still and we don't need to install "Nascar" door bars?

[/b]
    Um.. you never HAD to install NASCAR bars, the new ruling just allows you the option if you want to put them in (tubes MAY extend into the door, not tubes MUST..).. All you're REQUIRED to do is add a second bar if your car only had one. I had a second passenger-side door bar added to my cage when I bought the car a few years ago (ex-SSB car with single door bars) just because, but this was prior to the new requirement and allowable options, and I don't plan on re-doing that side of my cage - too many other winter projects to deal with..

From the GCR quote posted, sounds like the "X" you've already got is fine..
    -noam

On racing hiatus for a while
    NER SCCA