Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: ARRC updates....

Greg, Thanks for posting the video. Watching a winning car confirmed the areas in which I thought I was giving up time. This was my rookie year. The ARRC was my sixth race. My line wasn't perfect, I blew several turn in points. and I missed several apexes. Over all I have the basics. Now I just need to hone the skill. Seat time Seat time Seat time. UnfortunatlyI lost a cylinder and had to withdraw in lap ten. Still it was a fantastic weekend.
    Congratulation on a well deserved win.

Hope to see you at ARTRC 2007

Chuck
    ITA Pontiac Fiero #34

Thanks, Chuck, I appreciate the comments.

Something to keep in mind: each year I make a point of walking the track either Wednesday or Thursday night to refamiliarize myself (I only run there once a year). I appreciate company; anyone is welcome to walk along and I'll point out the details I've learned over the years... - GA

Doc Bro gets to hold the flag!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

ARRC in-car videos are up...

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=GregAmy
    [/b]
    Greg,

Thanks for the posting these up. I do have a couple of questions:

1. What happened to the red car in front of you at about the 4:40 mark in tape 2? it looked like an odd spot to go off?
    2. What happened to the rear of your car at about 1:20 in tape 3? Was there debris / oil on track?

thanks,
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Andy - I was surprised, and pleased, to look over and see Rob in the car for the post-race, so I handed him the flag. He told me he wanted to see the track, and I hear he knocked over a couple of people trying to get in the car (grin). JoeD says the backpack is gay, though.

Tom, the red MR-2 is my buddy JD from Tennessee (Jim Daniels - no, not that one). He said he didn' think the car was turning in like he'd like, so he purposefully drove off the track so he wouldn't hold us up(!). We had a conversation later about it, as it really wasn't the right thing to do; if you watch my head in the mirror you'll see that I actually had to drive WAY offline and turn to watch him to make sure he wasn't coming back across, then I ended up high-centering the car on the right hand berm going into T5 (listen closely and you can hear the "gritch".)

Contrast that to the RX-7 in the lap immediately prior.

As for the sideways action in T10, best I can figure there must have been some dirt at the edge of the track at turn-in; plus, I also notice that I had down-shifted just a tad bit sooner, causing higher revs. I'm guessing the combination of stuff on the track plus just *that* much more weight transfer caused the rear end to come around. I was extremely fortunate to be pointing the right way to gather it back up; I nailed the throttle and unwound the steering wheel and squirted outta there... - GA

nice slide greg

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

so he purposefully drove off the track so he wouldn't hold us up(!)[/b]
    that was what it looked like in the tape. but i thought maybe with your monster motor that you had pulled the air off his rear deck and made him aero loose or had sucked the air out of his tires.

the question of you getting sideways was as much because it was an otherwise flawless drive.

congrats again and thanks for sharing the line, etc.

tom, who has marked ARRC 2007 on his calendar.

Greg, honestly, there were some boring laps there... Try not to lead so much and the tapes will be more entertaining. ...

Yea, I have never seen a guy go off track before to get out of the way! But the one thing I want to know about was, when you entered the pits after the checkered flag lap, what happened as you made the last turn, and the car shakes, and somebody says, "Thats gonna leave a mark"??

(And man, am I glad I never saw you in the race...the closing speed you had on those IT-7 cars ...jeeez...that would have made me DEpressed, LOL)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Greg, honestly, there were some boring laps there... Try not to lead so much and the tapes will be more entertaining. ...

[/b]
    or at least turn the camera around
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

1. What happened to the red car in front of you at about the 4:40 mark in tape 2? it looked like an odd spot to go off?[/b]
    I laughed when Jim did that because I did the exact same thing on lap four or so. Greg, Joey, and I were so close nose to tail that when we turned in to the right for the start of the esses, I was so close up on Joey that I couldn't see my turn in point. So I was late and thought to myself "Crap, I've got to lift in the marbles (which is a bad idea) and I'll probably still straddle that next curb on the left and kill those two cones.........or I could just keep my foot down and drive it through the grass! WOOHOO!" I chose door number two! I mean come on, it's the ARRC!

The people up on the turn 5 hill liked it, and I'm just here to put on a show for the fans.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

...the car shakes, and somebody says, "Thats gonna leave a mark"??
    [/b]
    Uh, yeah. That. Well, I was otherwise-distracted taking my helmet off, and it seems there's this rather large pothole on the outside edge of the pit entrance lane...fortunately, the most generous Wheels America is supplying four wheel repairs for the win...!

Tom, the red MR-2 is my buddy JD from Tennessee (Jim Daniels - no, not that one). He said he didn' think the car was turning in like he'd like, so he purposefully drove off the track so he wouldn't hold us up(!). We had a conversation later about it, as it really wasn't the right thing to do; [/b]

That was me. I turned in late and the car just didn't feel stable(which I have now found was my steering rack slipping) and I was afraid of causing a bad mishap with the leader lapping me(which would not have been good, especially since this was my 3rd race overall). I decided to just put it through the grass vs spinning or loosing it and making contact with someone. Race and learn.

J.D. Daniels ( no, not Jim, or any relation to the SM guy )

I laughed when Jim did that because I did the exact same thing on lap four or so.[/b]
    You mean this?

Ed.
    Edwin Ho
    #65 SM
    www.ehmotorsports.org

LOL!
    Kevin, you a bad boy.....
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

ha ha! i was lol so hard, my wife came to see what i was watching. ed, great shots! thanks for sharing!

YEEEEEE-HAW!

AWESOOOOOOOME! Ed, you're my freaking hero for capturing that!

Now do you see why I said this?
    I was late and thought to myself "Crap, I've got to lift in the marbles (which is a bad idea) and I'll probably still straddle that next curb on the left and kill those two cones.........or I could just keep my foot down and drive it through the grass! WOOHOO!"[/b]
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Gordon Jolley has finally posted his pics online...

http://gordon.smugmug.com/2006%20Events-SCCA/259496