The ITS cars running with the TCC Vettes was a joke. What were they thinking???? David Spillman was running a solid 3rd and got taken by one of the TCC cars damaging his quick 240Z.
[/b]
Just so this doesn't get lost, I'll be glad to debate this decision with anyone who ever had responsibility for putting over 300 cars into seven race groups in one day:

We had 27 ITS cars pre-registered in Group 5 (the smallest of the "normal" IT Groups) and over 60 cars in Group 6 (SPO, GTA, LMSC, ITO and TCC), 15 of which were TCC Corvettes. The stewards were considering having split qualifying sessions for Group 6 with each session being 15 minutes, but besides extending the day that also penalizes guys that towed over 800 miles one-way to be at the event. Moving the TCC cars into Group 5 created two groups of 40-45 cars with similar speed and size characteristics, and I fully support the Stewards decisions to do so.

As far as the TCC cars messing up the ITS race, the conditions were the same for everyone. Part of racing is dealing with traffic, some slower and some faster. Next year ITS will have to share the track with ITR (assuming that happens), so that class's days of being the stars of their own show are over - it just happened a year earlier than I thought it would. And even if it was an all ITS race in 2006, who's to say an ITS back-marker wouldn't have affected the eventual outcome either?

And don't tell me to "dis-invite" the non-IT cars because they are making up a larger percentage of the participation every year, they're paying the same entry fee as everyone else and deserve the same amount of track time for their money.

Congratulations to the winners, condolences to the non-winners and we hope to see y'all in 2007 (we've already begun the planning process)...

Butch Kummer
ARRC Committee Chairman
Atlanta Region Competition Director