It's NEOhio's race. They're perfectly within bounds creating any sort of entry-preference system they want. Nothing in the GCR or the Ops Manual restricts that.

It's not a democracy. No flag-waving and singing egalitarian fight songs while dragging people to the guillotines. If they want to reserve slots for potential 'sponsor-linked' entrants, to garner publicity, further sponsor interest or even just snag free hot dogs for Joe to sling at the concession trailer, that's OK. They need to serve their own core constituency...their own members and competitors...and it's not unethical/immoral/unsporting/subversive to create an entry system that does just that. Mirror of life, actually.

They have two major obligations:
1.) Make money on the event
2.) Follow the GCR and whatever Supplementals they create

They're an experienced 'racing Region'...I'm confident that they'll do #2, as they always do. Any lattitude they need to hit item #1....they should take. That might include sponsor-linked teams, etc. Scheduling of past 12's at the Ledges have been pinched in among a busy Nat'l & Reg'l schedule, and in close proximity to the SP12, which has thinned the field. The August date seems like a winner....the Nat'l season, in most divisions, has dwindled by then, and the RunOffs are still a long way away.

More power to'em.

Will I lobby for a system that includes any the preferences mentioned by others ? Sure...I want to 'get in', too. But...I'm not going to start trying to run their Region for them.