Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Longest Day is Back! 24 hours at Nelson

It's been a little slow getting done (go figure!) but we've updated the web site with our little story and pics at...

http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/events07.php

Thanks again everyone for your efforts with this event. We had a great time - and yes, I'd probably be saying that even if those Troxell boys had beat us up again...

K

Jeff
    Great job with the pics............
    Bill Johnson

Jon, I love the modified body work you did on Don's car. The aero on it now is supurb!

So tell me, how many tractors does it take to make it look that cool!

That's the greatness of endurance racing. Major mishap and still get it back out and finish! Just shows how crazy you guys are!
    John McFarland
    ————————————————
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    ————————————————
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH

One good sized front-end loader!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Thanks John. I would have rather returned the car to the pits in the shape ( and I do mean shape not just condition) that I took it out in. The funny thing is that once they got all the things fixed on the car it ended up running about the same lap times that it was before I did the modifications. The crew that weekend was just awesome. And it wasn't just our crew but others that pitched in. I am told that there were some people from other teams that were pulling parts off the parts car.

To all,

I'm not race chair this year so I don't have any information to give out. Please contact Ann McHugh with your questions , I am sure she would be happy to answer any questions you have. Supps are up on : http://www.neohio-scca.org/ and http://www.nelsonledges.com . I do know we expect a larger field than last year and should prove to be the endurence event of the year not to be missed!

Thanks,

Roland

Ann McHugh Assistant Chief Registrar LD 08 8722 Pine Hallow Dr. Novelty OH 44072-9545 (440) 338-3159 Fax: (440) 338-3159 [email protected]

Default Latest 2008 information !

Got information from Ann the other day. I do have the latest entry list but I can't post it ( too large of a PDF for this site). The letter I will post on the very next reply as Ann has lots to say! I will try and post both of these items on www.kumhoecs.com in the next couple of days. When you visit that site please sign up for the series. It's free and you do not have to run on Kumho's to play! The more cars we get to join the series this year will help in getting sponsors and more contigency for next year. Even if you only run one race you'll be helping out.

Thanks,

Roland

Default Ann's letter

Here is Ann's letter:

UPDATE #1 “LONGEST DAY OF NELSON '08” JUNE 28,2008
    First let me introduce myself -it's only fair since we are asking so many questions of you on the "LONGEST
    DAY of Nelson '08" entry forms. I was an innocent(?) bystander and Nelson Ledges volunteer Press Officer
    when John McGill, Fred Koslasky, Ron Urchek and Grover Griggs were riding around the Nelson paddock
    before the start of the 24 hour motorcycle race back in 1979 (do you think alcohol was involved??hmmm)
    Anyway, their collective "hair-brained scheme" grew into the real thing in 1980 -the very first running of an
    SCCA sanctioned 24 road race for showroom stock cars. Because of a communication mix-up between John
    and Fred 50+ entrants turned into 19 actual entries that first year(a couple of locals were practically "strongarmed"
    into going home and getting their showroom stock cars and running a race they had absolutely no
    intention of entering! but that is another looong story!) Needless to say confusion reigned that weekend, but a
    fun time was had by most everyone. If you go around the paddock at most any SCCA race and ask you will
    probably find more drivers who "were there in '80" than people who professed to have been at the Original
    Woodstock!
    Having barely survived that first year myself, I had to open my big mouth and offer to co-chair/chair the
    event in 1981 and so it went for the next 15 years - chairing of the "LD", NOT the confusion. Last year I was
    unable to help, but this year Scott Lane found my phone number under the heading "for a good time call Ann
    McHugh and enter the Longest Day" - or at least that is what the guys have told me was written on all those
    outhouse walls long ago and for some unknown reason, asked me to return as Race Chairman.
    Due to the "marvelous economy" we are now "enjoying"(?) there are fewer entries for the upcoming
    Longest Day of Nelson '08 than we would like. However, Scott and Kerrie Lane who have practically pulled
    Nelson out of its "death throes" these past few years are determined that the race will go on as planned. Now
    we need all of those who have sent in their Intents to Enter forms to get their entry forms and remaining fees
    in to me so we can get started on a real program for this unique and historic race. It is strongly rumored (no I
    can't say for sure) that this will be the last LD that runs on the Nelson course as it now stands. Will it be the
    real, very last Longest Day -only time will tell. However, I mentioned the possibility back in 1996 that with
    fewer entries the race might have to go into hiatus -many of you didn't listen back then...so as they say "a
    word to the wise"...
    I have tried to include an updated entry list along with this note -there may be some errors with car numbers
    -somehow we managed to ask for so much information from entrants, but forgot to ask what car # you
    wanted. Maybe that was on the line with giving us your mother's maiden name that we nixed, but I'm not
    sure. So if you don't have the number you want and it is NOT taken by a previous entrant, then you'll get it -
    don't go running around in a hissy fit -I'll fix it. In fact as a bossy Race Chairman I can fix alot of things to
    make the "Longest Day" the fun event it was for the first 17 years. You guys just have to call or email me at
    and we'll see what we can do.
    I used to use the Updates to spread rumors, gossip and some facts before the race -that way people got to
    know one another before the race and it was more fun to “know your enemy”. In order to do that you'll have
    to send me some “stuff” or call me. This year I hope to have our own program with pictures of prior years
    -way back when we were all very young -for those smarties who weren't born in 1980 – just “Put a Sock In
    It” if you know what is good for you!!
    Car and Driver magazine is coming to record the efforts of their very
    own team headed up by multi-LD race driver/entrant Tony Swan. He is bringing along some unsuspecting
    writers and a pair who have been to the “LD” before -Csaba Csere and Larry Webster and ought to know
    better! Csaba hasn't been back to Nelson since we got flush toilets and hot showers – heck he won't recognize
    the place. Tony has promised to write an article for the program – not sure what he'll be writing about, but it
    should be interesting... Of course I have records of ALL the drivers who ran the first 17 yrs, what they drove
    and how many laps the car they were in finished so we'll be able to make sure Tony stays honest about his
    wins..
    We have a couple of father-son teams coming this year -which really makes me feel old -no do not comment
    on that as I was very young when I joined SCCA and got mixed up with Nelson Ledges or you'll be pitted at
    the old course!! Check out the entry list and call with “stuff” for the program -pictures too.

UPDATE #1 “LONGEST DAY OF NELSON '08” JUNE 28, 2008 Page 2
    Back again this year as a major sponsor is
    KUMHO TIRES. In addition Joe Specht from The
    TireShoppe
    is planning on some type of contingecy award and support for the race and will be on hand with

Toyo
    and Hankook track support.
    We are also planning on the steak dinner Friday night to welcome workers, driver, crews and even the
    officials. Teams will get “free tickets” for their drivers. We're also planning on an “after night practice party”
    for those too “cranked up” to get to sleep and/or the teams that will be pulling all-nighters to get the cars
    fixed. We thought to call it the “WHINE & Cheese Party” to get the jump on what will most likely be a large
    part of the get-together. When we started the race at 3 pm (Like LeMans), we had time for a lunch on
    Saturday, but with the race starting earlier we have to adjust the party times -darn!
    For those of you that were part of the return of the “LD” to Nelson last yar, I have been informed by the
    producer,Kevin Stolicny (also the track announcer at Nelson) that the video of last year is now available for
    sale. I haven't seen it but if you are interested his email is [email protected] and his phone # is
    330-324-5122.
    That is about it for this Update – waiting to hear from any and all participants. I am usually at work/in
    transit from 7:00 to 5:00, but the 6 dogs just love to hear people call on the phone -just no profanity as one is
    just a young puppy who is driving Ed and the rest of us a little crazier than usual. If there is anyone you want
    the Update/Entry list sent directly to, just let me know and I'll get it off to them ASAP. OR have them check
    the Nelson website. One more thing -we have dog obedience classes on Monday and Wednesday evenings so
    I won't be available till after 8:30 those days but you can call
    UP TO 10:00 pm. I check for emails everyday.
    For now

440-338-3159 home #
    440-463-7209 cell # that gets lousy reception at home! Thanks AT&T