Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air impact gun/wrench

Over the winter I bought a nice DeWalt cordless impact wrench, but it just doesn't have enough torque. I often find myself either taking much, much longer on a project or like today getting stuck and simply not being able to move forward since the tool I have can't handle it. It's become very frustrating!

I'm looking for suggestions on an impact gun under $250 (the lower the better of course, but do want it to be a good / reliable unit). I've seen several of the Ingersoll Rand/IR 2135TI guns over on eBay for fairly decent prices. According to it's specs, it has a max. torque of 1,000 ft.-lbs and weighs under 4 lbs. It also has four power settings so I don't start snapping bolts off.

Thoughts, suggestions?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Just get a better cordless--like a Milwaukee or Snap-on 18 V or higher!

IR makes good air guns.

I've got the Mac tools standard bread and butter air gun, I think it was around $300, but it has been very usefull and effectivbe over the last few years, Cordless impacts are good for doing tires in the paddock, as long as you've got a torque wrench on right behind it.

Earthquake from Harbor Freight, often on sale for around $80.

I've had mine for a couple of years and it has never failed to take anything off. It's a little heavier than my mechanic's magnesium frame Mac, but if you're not going to be using it all day, every day, its a good buy at 1/5th the price.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

The IR 2135Ti is a GREAT gun. I have two at work, have several friends who are pro mechanics that swear by them, and I bought one for home several months ago. They have great power, are light, and have a relatively compact design. You can't go wrong with one.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Dave,
    I picked up an electric Dewalt impact since I don't have good compressor. I think I paid $170 at Lowes and they gave me a $20 gift card. Works great. You can also use it places like NHIS that have power.

Also, watch the torq number. I've seen some that were inch pounds instead of foot pounds.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Last winter I bought the DeWalt cordless and it works o.k. (18V 300 lbs / ft) I do wonder a bit if there's something wrong with it though, as there are bolts I'm very surprised it can't take off.
    Dave Gran

Dave, Ive been turning wrenches for over forty years. I used the most expensive, and I've used the cheapest. In occasional use I can't tell the differance. For day in day out use the high quality units last longer. With either lubrication is the key to life. The compressor is equally important. High pressure compressor equals high torque at the gun, and longer use between compressor runs. A small home type compressor has less pressure and volume. The gun will hammer longer to break nuts loose, and you will wait more for the compressor to rebuild pressure. For working in the garage on the race car I use the latter. At work I use the good stuff. Define your use paramitors and purchase equipment accordingly.

Chuck
    ITA Pontiac Fiero #34

At present I own a DeWalt 1/2 inch 14.4 volt cordeless 130 ft lb impact wrench for $220.00 this past spring.

At the 06 Runoffs I went to Harbor Freight & procured a $ 90.00 (forget the torque, maybe 250/300 ft lb) 18 volt Orange Chicago impact tool for the guy I was crewing with. He left his Snap-on at home. The Chicago lasted for maybe 3 tire changes & went PUFFFFF up in smoke. Took it back to the store for exchange.

Today I see in a news paper add that Northern Tool has the DeWalt 1/2 inch 18 volt cordeless 300 ft lb impact wrench, two battery, charger, case, on sale 11/24/06 only $260.00........ Don't need one but at $260.00 I'll get one.

Have Fun
    David

Dave,
    I bought a Chicago Pneumatic in 1976 for $30.00.
    I still use it and it works great and it was subjected
    to more than its share of unfair abuse.

Its about $150 now. Not as much as a snap-on but
    it put up with 30 years of service.

Tom

(I always burn out cordless tools)

Tom, I also have a Chicago pneumatic. I hate draging the tail around. They are good & they do last.

I too have the same gun in the pic and a pistol grip 3/8 model bought in '79. I have not seen one like it since. It's great for the small stuff.

The hose can be a PITA but having used air for so long and owning a bunch of air tools I did not see the need to spend the $ on a cordless. I keep a nitrogen bottle and a 1" speed socket in the trailer as well for lug nuts.
    Tom Sprecher

Last winter I bought the DeWalt cordless and it works o.k. (18V 300 lbs / ft) I do wonder a bit if there's something wrong with it though, as there are bolts I'm very surprised it can't take off.
    [/b]
    Dave maybe you could take your corldless to a DeWalt Service Centre and get it checked for proper performance, their www.dewalt.com has an area under service where you enter your address and you are directed to a local service centre.

That's actually not a bad idea. Thanks!
    Dave Gran

Dave,
    The Dewalt service center is right down the road. just 2 miles from your place.
    But this is something I use at work, I have removed rusted lug nuts on our biggest trucks 10+ton and they come right off. Mine is 1/2 inch Dr, and I use it with large 3/4 and 1 inch dr sockets. This thing has B@ll$

http://www.dcimpact.com/page/page/784275.htm

Matt

But this is something I use at work, I have removed rusted lug nuts on our biggest trucks 10+ton and they come right off. Mine is 1/2 inch Dr, and I use it with large 3/4 and 1 inch dr sockets. This thing has B@ll$
    http://www.dcimpact.com/page/page/784275.htm

Matt
    [/b]
    Matt

What does that baby cost?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I think it was around $1,100. give or take.we might have received a discoount for getting a few of them (work paid the bill)too rich for my blood, but it does kick @$$

Matt Bal

Yeah, cause that's within my budget.
    Dave Gran

Dave,
    Its well out of my budget as well.
    your welcome to borrow it any time (no cost)

Matt

I was on another forum and someone mentioned that Pep Boys was selling a 24V battery 1/2" impact wrench that worked great and only cost $65. I could not believe it but there were a few people that swear by it. I bought one to try and I cant believe how powerful it is. It took the lug nuts off my father in-laws 1 ton Dodge dually no sweat. The race car is a piece of cake. You can't go wrong for $65, it says Goodyear on it but it's made in China. Last week they had a $10 rebate on it.
    Karl Bocchieri
    NYR
    ITS #80