Thread: Kill switch wiring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greg, not to be argumentative, but I have wired 5 e30 BMWs that way with no issues. The only problems with the BMWs is when you remove the cluster..you must add a bocking diode to the circuit to replace the one removed from the alternator light. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

What size wire do I need to use?

Ok, I am finally wiring up the 300zx. It's been 10 years since I wired up the 240sx, and I am embarrassed to say I have forgotten what I did exactly.

So I get the battery part. The secondary circuit will cut the alt. field wire where it circles back to the alternator, to disconnect the alt. circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    The only problems with the BMWs is when you remove the cluster..you must add a bocking diode to the circuit to replace the one removed from the alternator light. Chuck
    Chuck, I will not have the cluster in the dash, so I would need to add a bocking (sp?) diode in addition to the Bulb Check Relay, which would just be grounded to slowly bleed off any surge or spike at the alternator. Correct?

Greg Amy, jump in on this.

Thanks.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Tristan, I'm not familiar with "the BMW problem" and its systems, so I really can't speak to that. However, I consider that circuit with resistor for slowly bleeding electrical potential to ground pretty important (see first post, second diagram)...