Thread: ITO or ITU

If I'm reading the rule correctly, a Grand Am Cup ST RX-8 gets bumped to ITO because its a rotary even though all NA ST cars are in ITU. Can anyone explain why this is? With the 2x 1.3L displacement correction, its still less than 3L.

Ed.
    Edwin Ho
    #65 SM
    www.ehmotorsports.org

Ed,

How to explain? How about an oversight when writing a new set of rules for a class that doesn't exist anywhere else? I was heavily involved in writing these and certainly see we missed this, so I'll take it up with the Competition Committee before the event. I'm thinking we added the exception to account for people dialing up the boost, but then the car would no longer meet the rules for the series it was built for, would it?

I've also been notified that the Viper Racing League (which is specifically listed in ITO) uses a spec slick rather than DOT tires as called for in our rules. The intent is: If the car meets the rules for a series specifically listed (and you have a copy of those rules in case it is questioned), you are legal in ITO/ITU.

Short answer - if your car is legal in GrandAm ST, enter it in ITU.

Butch Kummer
    ARRC Committee Chairman
    Atlanta Region Competition Director
    AR Competition Committee Chairman
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Thanks Butch!

Ed.

I am continually amazed (although I shouldn't be) at the courteous and rapid response to us entrants and crew concerning questions about the ARRC. You guys are really great!
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic