Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300ZX In ITR

with the 350z, you arent going to class in ITR in 2 years. The pie as you say for ITR is less fly hp than that and we have a very good group of cars as is.

I think this discussion is a good example of you cant please everyone all the time, and I mean that in a good way because the minority usually has, as you do, valid thoughts.

On the 300zx, just a note of clarification, it will not have to run with M3s, but I agree the 2.8 and 3.0 Bimmers will be tough.

That said, how about a wager instead of internet beeyatchin )by both of us)? Iĺl bet you 100 dollars that a Z32 is on the podium at the ARRC in ITR in one of the first three years of teh class existence. Deal?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

with the 350z, you arent going to class in ITR in 2 years. The pie as you say for ITR is less fly hp than that and we have a very good group of cars as is.

I think this discussion is a good example of you cant please everyone all the time, and I mean that in a good way because the minority usually has, as you do, valid thoughts.

On the 300zx, just a note of clarification, it will not have to run with M3s, but I agree the 2.8 and 3.0 Bimmers will be tough.

That said, how about a wager instead of internet beeyatchin )by both of us)? Iĺl bet you 100 dollars that a Z32 is on the podium at the ARRC in ITR in one of the first three years of teh class existence. Deal?
    [/b]
    i'll take the bet if it is you or Ron building and driving it......

Sorry actual people that want real info...I am going back to ignore...my e-mail is listed if you want to reach me but these guys tire me out.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

The car that was used for that project had a sunroof if I remember correctly.
    [/b]
    Sounds like a slicktop, though I didn't think they had sunroofs (I've never actually seen one). A slicktop car is definitely the way to go if you can find one.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I had a '93 NA slicktop. No sunroof (AFAIK, Nissan never offered a sunroof in a Z32), no T-tops. I don't think they ever offered a TT slicktop.

Anyway, I sold it to buy a '92 TT, sold the TT to build the race car.

Now I have an urge to sell the race car to buy a slicktop and build another race car...

Have I come full circle?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

A slicktop car is definitely the way to go if you can find one.[/b]
    Find old SSA results from the early-to-mid 90's, locate the drivers/owners, and trace the cars down. There were plenty of them, as they were EXTREMELY competitive SSA cars (*the* car to have ~'92-96, IIRC).

But Greg, how can that be? Their four wheel foot on the floor a la Fred Flinstone brakes just wouldn't cut it!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff.

Back then all SS cars had to run stock brakes! They ALL sucked, just the Nissan sucked less!

I used to race SS That's why I love IT!
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

I'm sure they not great, as in class beating great. But lots of IT cars are "not so good" in braking, but they race okay and simply demand more of the driver in brake management and planning. There are cars that have "worse" brakes than the Z in ITR, and worse when comparing swept area per ton in ITS and ITA.

I find it hard to believe the Z in ITR would be worse than a TR8, and the TR8 is definitely racable and when running well competitive. It takes a lot of maintenence on the brakes, and it does require the driver to manage his brakes - maybe this is a lost skill for some drivers? I'm sure it isn't a lost skill for the competitive IT drivers out there now, many of them are doing the job just fine.

Ron

I think a good driver will be able to drive the Z32 fast. I think the same driver in some of the other cars would be faster, though. There's such a big disparity in driver skills in IT it's hard to tell whether it's the car or the driver. My car has done low 1:43s at road Atlanta with Bob driving. My best to date is a low 1:54. A well prepped Z32 with a good driver will probably beat a lot of the cars in ITR. I still think the brakes are a handicap.

After all, isn't that what the magical IT weight formula dictates? The goal of the formula is to get equal horsepower to weight ratios for all the cars with some "adders" being allowed based on specific design characteristics. So unless the Z32 got the crappy brake adder it'll be able to make the same horsepower to weight as other ITR cars. Its brakes aren't as good as other cars in the class so it would stand to reason that it'll have slower lap times than those cars.

Only time will tell. We're all just bench racing at this point.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Jeff.

Back then all SS cars had to run stock brakes! They ALL sucked, just the Nissan sucked less!

I used to race SS That's why I love IT! [/b]

I wouldn't count the Z brakes out completely. With the newer compound pads being developed, they may help the braking a hell of a lot. IMO

I've also been considering building a Z32 for ITR. Maybe I should concentrate on getting my license first, but that will come soon enough

I've tracked a turbo Z at the Glen for many years and until I upgraded the brakes I couldn't stay out for 20-30 minutes without terrible brake fade. I've tried Hawk Blues, PFC 97's etc... IMO the PFC's performed the best but still faded. I suppose with proper ducting and 200-300 lbs. less weight the brakes would be adequate for a sprint race.

As far as weight the last iteration of Z I built was a slicktop chassis with a twin turbo engine, it weighed 3100 lbs. w/o driver. The complete A/C system was removed, but it had full interior with Autopower rollbar, Sparco race seats, big brakes on 4-corners and heavy 18" wheels. I suspect even a t-top Z can get to 3250 once stripped.

Also the chassis is strong. After bouncing off the armco three times at the top of esses at the Glen I was able to get out and walk to the nearest flag station to wait for the ambulance.

I've probably got enough parts to put a car together, just need a good body now. If I can't find something resonable I've got an na engine, and tranny if anyone is interested

-Chris

Chris:

I think i see a project developing

DC
    Dave Ciufo
    Livonia, NY
    ITS 240Z #34
    SM #34