Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interior removal questions

Where in the IT GCR's does it allow the removal of the stock seat belt mechanism, but show me one IT car that still has it in it??[/b]
    ITCS-12, section 8.e:
    "Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hardware and bracketry may be removed."
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Josh,

That's funny, I saw that rule, but didn't see the seat belts part

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Don't just "see" the rules, Grasshopper: READ them.

Even I am guilty of assumptions that aren't there...

Ah, yes Sensei. Even Master's can make mistakes, and that's why there is an appeals process. To error, is human, forgive, devine

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Yes, young Spurling, you have seen the light. But remember that Master Greg sees not the RULES, he sees the OPPORTUNITY.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

GCR Definitions:
    "Instrument Panel - A panel, the associated mounting bracket(s), and HVAC ducting components, located within the cockpit of a car, and in a position convenient for driver visibility, which may provide a mounting area for various gauges and controls. Also referred to as a dash pad or dash panel."

Glove box is not used to mount guages and controls.

"9g. Any removable covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins, etc., may be removed along with attaching hardware and bracketry. Carpets, mats, and their insulating or attaching materials may be removed from the floor and recesses of the cargo/ trunk/spare tire area."

Allows me to remove the glove box? (refering to bin and associated hardware)

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Allows me to remove the glove box? (refering to bin and associated hardware)
    [/b]

Isn't the glove box part of the dash board? If so it should not be removed correct?

Isn't the glove box part of the dash board? If so it should not be removed correct?
    [/b]
    I think that depends very much on the car. On some cars (like mine), there is a lower plastic cover underneath the main dashboard ... it's just above the passenger's feet. The glove box is really part of this cover, not part of the main dash panel in any way.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

The GCR definition of the dash regards instruments and gauges. That definition would exclude the glove box from being considered the dash. ( I think).
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Using the words in that rules that you quote I would think the following:

I don't see how you can remove the GB (unless your cage install prevents it's reinstallation). If it's a 'bin' with a cover, you can remove the cover per the rule but not the bin. Where does it say you can remove any dash bin? If it's all one piece, it has no cover - so can you even touch it?

Andy Bettencourt

Using the words in that rules that you quote I would think the following:

I don't see how you can remove the GB (unless your cage install prevents it's reinstallation). If it's a 'bin' with a cover, you can remove the cover per the rule but not the bin. Where does it say you can remove any dash bin? If it's all one piece, it has no cover - so can you even touch it?
    [/b]

Beats me. Who can I ask?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

These questions were for you. I don't think you can touch it for the reasons I gave. What rule allows you to remove the 'bin' that is the GB? At the most, you can remove it's door - or 'cover'. If it's all one piece, that allowance doesn't apply.

Andy Bettencourt

***If it's a 'bin' with a cover, you can remove the cover per the rule but not the bin.***

EVERYONE removes the bins behind the front seats in a 1st gen RX-7.

Did your 2nd gen RX-7 have bins behind the front seats?

Have Fun
    David

Dave,

We are talking about how that rules applies to the dash specifically. Interior removal is discussed in section F. of the rules. As you know, the rear bins in an RX-7 are not attatched to anything once the carpeting is gone.

YMMV.

Andy Bettencourt

Andy, ignoring the glove box, do you think it's legal to remove a panel that separates the passenger footwell from the wiring and other stuff that's under the dash or behind the center console?

Now, what if the glovebox mounts to that panel?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I would have to see it to give my opinion. I am firm believer in the 'if you think it's grey, leave it in' thought process. Unless you are scraping for every ounce, it just doesn't make sense to 'get grey'.
    Andy Bettencourt

I would have to see it to give my opinion. I am firm believer in the 'if you think it's grey, leave it in' thought process. Unless you are scraping for every ounce, it just doesn't make sense to 'get grey'.
    [/b]

I agree. It is best to stay out the grey area. I am not sure that I agree with your interpretation of the glove box, but grey nonetheless. It will stay in my car.

I am trying to hook up with a local Scrutinier regarding this and some other interior removal questions to bounce them of him.

Speaker? Speaker wire? Seems silly to me to have to leave this stuff in. I am going to gut the driver door fo the nascar bars......the speaker needs to go. I have to leave the wire there? The rear moldings are removed...they house the speakers. Has to stay? I suppose if I run light on wieght I can put a subwoofer the in the rear so I can listen to some tunes while lapping LOL

Regardless, having fun working on this car......
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

***As you know, the rear bins in an RX-7 are not attatched to anything once the carpeting is gone.***

Andy, I had typed more within this post on this subject of bins but have deleated it because we will continue to agree to disagree. IIRC the bins & carpet in the area of the bins are attached to bolted in formed sheet metal. My last point is that if someone can't find a rule, removal of the bins & the formed sheet metal behind the front seats on a 1st gen is illegal.

Have Fun
    David

Gotta disagree David, the rules F & G cover those.

I won't quote the entire rules but the bins/covers fall under the phrases like (G, page 304 of your 2007 GCR, ITCS section) "..... covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins...may be removed.....along with ....attaching... bracketry ...." And, "Carpets, matts, and thier attaching...may be removed from the floor and recesses of the cargo area...."

Now, the bins are located in the cargo area, correct? (Area aft of the seats used to carry cargo, not people)
    The bin covers come off as part of the first half of the rule.
    The bin bottoms are made of carpet, so they come off under the second.

I'd love to get protested for THAT one, LOL. Mr tech inspector Greg, how do you think the average tech guy would rule...or how would you rule?

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

ITCS-12, section 8.e:
    "Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hardware and bracketry may be removed."
    [/b]

Define Bracketry? Does the weld nut on the floor count as attaching hardware?.......
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring