Thread: Road Trip!

It's time to plan a trip to the crash lab. But before we go, we thought it would be a good idea to ask real race car drivers what kind of testing they would like to see. We have our own ideas, of course, but there is no reason we can't put yours on the list if it makes sense.

It would be especially valuable to get some HANS and R3 fans involved.

Seriously, if there is any design you would like to see tested--or if you would like to see a variation on an old test--feel free to speak up.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Reconstruct (redestruct ?) Joey Hand's wreck. :-D
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

How about that one where the driver oversteers, corrects, sticks, shoots across the track, bounces off the inside wall back onto the track, then gets clipped into a big pin-wheeling yard sale of busted lenses, trim, and fluids?

Seriously - it would be interesting to do actual broadside impacts, like the one at Road Atlanta earlier this year where they had to cut the driver out of the car. I'm talking about increasing the knowledge base about the entire driver-protection system (both side nets, halo seats, door bars, etc) in addition to just H&N restraints. We don't actually know much about this kind of impact, and it has potentially lethal consequences since there's not 5' of structure to deal with the energy involved.

K

Most new helmets I have looked at are coming ready for attachment of HANS device posts. I would like to know if ISAAC and other systems attachment systems can use these posts.

Dave Z

I'm with Kirk. Side impact with a comparison between Isaac and the "other(s)." Good documentation, full calibration, and filming of the whole thing. And, do it at a well respected institution. Then, write a paper and present it at SAE!

Oh, and you could do an additional test (well, consider doing an additional test) using the side net and/or the Butler seat with head surround...
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

The test I'd like to see replicated was an impact event I saw.

It invovlved 2 HP Spridgets at Lime Rock.

The first car gets to grid late and the driver is flustered because he's not fully suited. He gets ready and in the meantime another smoker/oiler pulls right in behind. Because he's flustered he doesn't realize he puts his "gearbox" into R (for race) and proceeds to back into his "competition" instead of pulling on track.

While I know this is a low speed test, the results will assuredly be as amusing the second time as they were the first time. I don't know if the results of this test will profoundly expand the knowledge of the racing safety community or not but I do know that they could provide hours of entertainment!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Reconstruct (redestruct ?) Joey Hand's wreck. :-D
    [/b]
    Sure thing Doug, but you have to drive.

How about that one where the driver oversteers, corrects, sticks, shoots across the track, bounces off the inside wall back onto the track, then gets clipped into a big pin-wheeling yard sale of busted lenses, trim, and fluids?

Seriously - it would be interesting to do actual broadside impacts, like the one at Road Atlanta earlier this year where they had to cut the driver out of the car. I'm talking about increasing the knowledge base about the entire driver-protection system (both side nets, halo seats, door bars, etc) in addition to just H&N restraints. We don't actually know much about this kind of impact, and it has potentially lethal consequences since there's not 5' of structure to deal with the energy involved.

K
    [/b]
    Like this poor guy last weekend: Link

I agree on the value. That sounds very aggressive, and my first inclination is to recommend no just on the basis of its complexity. However, it is not uncommon for manufacturers to pool their efforts and test multiple products on the same test. We could probably get a seat, net and H&N manufacturer to donate product to test (and probably destroy), but the cage issue complicates things. Not to suggest that it can't be done though. This may not be too far out in left field.

Most new helmets I have looked at are coming ready for attachment of HANS device posts. I would like to know if ISAAC and other systems attachment systems can use these posts.

Dave Z
    [/b]
    Dave,

Use the hole provided in the shell, or the HANS post itself? Offhand, I'd say "yes" and "no" respectively.

I'm with Kirk. Side impact with a comparison between Isaac and the "other(s)." Good documentation, full calibration, and filming of the whole thing. And, do it at a well respected institution. Then, write a paper and present it at SAE![/b]
    Sorta like this?

You are right though, Bill. The whole thing needs to be kicked up a notch for lateral impacts. These head-on comparisons are becoming a salesman's game.

"Ya'll" have a good weekend.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Sure thing Doug, but you have to drive.
    [/b]
    Sure. We'll get Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters and rig up a remote control.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

So far we have requests to test the R3, Isaac Link and HANS (retest) on the Delphi sled. Also a couple of suggestions to rerun the offset tests at Wayne State on everything, principally because of the presence of a seat.

Keep those cards and letters commin'!
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC