Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiero

The Fieros are coming out of the woodwork....lol..you go guys.....I always liked that car....
    [/b]

How 'bout "Spec Fiero"
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Jeff,

Ther Fiero was listed with 135 HP (they later changed the way it was determined and was listed at 140, but it was the same 135) and 170 lbs of torque. They were quick for the day, 8.5 sec to 60 mph, top end was in the 140 range.

A well built motor with a trick cam and roller rockers could net you in the neighborhood of 190-210 HP. I think that in IT trim it should be possible to get 155 HP, maybe a bit more.

Weight distribution is close to 45/55. I think you could get that a little closer to 50/50 with a fuel cell. The GCR allows you to put the cell up front in midengine cars... and doesn't stipulate removal of the original tank. So, one could wind up with close to the max allowable 25 gal for enduro's . Stock cell is behind the shifter in the console.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I bring my Fiero to the dyno for tuning next week with several different types of exhaust to see what works best and some different chips. But I swear I'm not really putting out a real effort to get this car fast - its just for kicks! (actually the dyno test must be good or I will not put a cage in the car)

I will not post my numbers unless bribes are made. (BEER IS ACCEPTABEL)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I bring my Fiero to the dyno for tuning next week with several different types of exhaust to see what works best and some different chips. But I swear I'm not really putting out a real effort to get this car fast - its just for kicks! (actually the dyno test must be good or I will not put a cage in the car)

I will not post my numbers unless bribes are made. (BEER IS ACCEPTABEL)
    [/b]
    Hey Benspeed I live in Danville,VA. about 15 min from VIR. post the hp # and i will buy you a beer if you run the car in my neck of the woods. I would even help as crew so i can get a good look at your set up. i knew for some reason i should have gotten one when it was just laying there asking to be hauled off.

I have a dirt track friend who knows a lot about these cars/engines so maybe i can pick his brain some for some legal hp on the thing. You may have to buy me a beer for the info.

Lawrence

Anyone want to help with where to put the tow rings on the front and rear? I'm at a loss. I'd love to go right out the sunroof.

Peter B.
    '87 Fiero GT

That torque number is strong. The car be a contendah...
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Hey Lawrence - I'll PM you with the numbers and you send me a beers of the world gift pack!?!

Jeff - you sound like a guy from Jerzey

I just have doubts on the handling, but as our friend Andy says - if you can make the power that is the harder half - getting the handling right is much more doable.

I'm putting together an array of springs and already have two sets of sway bars for this car too. What I really need is an engineer who knows what they are doing. Andy is happy to help.......but then he'll know all my tricks!

I bet I would find Greg lurking around on a test day too - maybe I should hire Greg's engineer away - my beer is colder than his anyway.

I'll have to go down south to test under a shroud of secrecy. I'll hire Mattberg to run my PR campaign over why the Fiero needs to be 500 lbs lighter and can run 17 inch rims.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Dude, you'll post your numbahs here in public like the rest of the men on this forum, and you'll shut up about it. Otherwise I'll go put my japcar on a DynoJet and make you fruity GM guys look really silly...

DYNO WARS!!!!

Recognize that Kessler is more of a racing slut than I am: for a carton of cigarettes and six-pack of Monster you could probably have him dancing nekked on the hood (I think I just hurt my brain with that visual...)

yeah, any pictures like that should be kept to yourself, it doesnt bode well if your reading this site and eating lunch at the same time.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I thought with the 88's suspension, you had most of your problems cured? And, if you can put the cell up front, the weight distribution issue goes away.

But for the fact this is a GM product, on paper it sure seems like a better A car than the Mk.II MR2. 170 ft lbs is STRONG for A. Real strong.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The GCR allows you to put the cell up front in midengine cars... and doesn't stipulate removal of the original tank.[/b]
    Hoop, could you please cite this? It's not a challenge; it's a request for info...

That got my attention as well. Section 19 stipulates the basics for cars that require cells, and even there, it says nothing about location other than the 12" rule.

The ITCS also says nothing about front allowances for mid engine cars.....but allows you to replace[b] the stock tank with a cell within 12". IF that new location encroaches the driver compartment, you must construct a metal bulkhead, and the cell must be 6" above ground unless it's located within bodywork or the original floorpan.

I see nowhere that the rule allows stock AND new cells to co-exist, and no any rule that allows you to locate the cell more than 12" from the stock tank (perimeter to perimeter), except the notes on the spec line for certain BMWs.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

All I gotta say is I was behind (right behind) Chuck's car at the ARRC and he pulled me by 2 car lengths or so down the back straight. I'd start to close towards the end of the straight with a little more top end, but he pulled me off the corner. My exits were cleaner as it looked like he pushed a bit through the corner. My engine is tired with 2 seasons on it, but it's a full built motor. Take that for what's it worth.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

ok... ok... i may have been wrong. for some reason, i thought the fiero had the same line note stipulating a "trunk mounted fuel cell may be added" that was noted for the Fiat X 1/9. i will have to go back and dig up some old GCR's to see if they changed that. with the fiat, i was told by someone with "authorotay" that the trunk mount could go in the front. my bad.

Ben... you gotta post the numbers, so we can see. I would make the jump... probably more for 2008 than 07, if I thought it was doable. What have you done to the motor? Have you freshend it at all, or is it original?

Jeff... the consensus has been that the pre '88's had a good enough front suspension (perhaps a touch better), the '88's had a better rear suspension design. There are ways to improve both effectively. I don't think the car will pivot like a Miata, but that remains to be seen.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Saw this on eBay. # 260059917680

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Beer for numbers. (I'll post to my other mid-engine compadres!)

I'm very intersted to learn what folks say about the fuel cell up front. That was something I was considering to improve the balance of the car.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Ben, I've gone through the rules again, and I can't find any allowance for fuel tank in the front of mid-engine cars. HOWEVER, the rule does state that the fuel cell must be "within 12 inches of original location."

I clarified that with Sven Pruett several years ago, and it's been confirmed by others, that if any part of the old tank is within any part of the new fuel cell - in other words, if you can take a 1-foot school ruler and touch any part of both concurrently, ignoring firewalls, panels, and such - then it's a legal installation. An illustration of this is Serra's installation of a fuel cell where the passenger seat was in Lorenzo's CRX.

So, it all boils down to where your stock fuel tank is. From reading above, someone said the Fiery's fuel tank was near the shifter? Get under there and find it, then see if you can install a fuel cell in the "frunk" within 12 inches of it. If so, you're set.

And don't forget to remove the original fuel tank; the rules specifically say "replace", not install... - GA

Ben, I considered such an idea with my RX-7, and I actually COULD have gotten it ahead of the drive axle and met the requirements, but my engineer friends said no, not a good idea.

But, I would imagine that you could move it into the pass footwell area and still be within 12" of the original perimeter. Might help offset driver weight a bit. Of course, getting the car on the scales would be a prudent starting point. Also, any ballast you need can go up to the front of the footwell as well.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Talking

The factory fuel tank in a Fiero is in the tunnel between the the seats. It is a torpedo shaped tank and extends from the front firewall to the rear firewall. A front mounted cell is well within the 12" rule.

Chuck

Hi Chuck - I figured you might chime in on this.

Any chance you could post a pic of what the install looks like? I still have some key things to check off my list before I put a cage in the car but I might go for the cell install at the same time the cage is being installed.

Thanks to all for the rules confirmation - beyond helpful - my luck I'd be 13 inches away. Anybody remember when Kip lost the ARRC for weight installed improperly in the footwell of his bimmer?

Hey Greg - any real thought on the MR2?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion