Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiero

yea, that Fiero at the ARRCs.... I came off 7, the 45-50 mph turn before the looong straight with a better shot on him, and he squirted out once he hit the throttle, and pulled many lengths down the straight. Ok, maybe not "many", but I remember being depressed about that. Now, out of 12, he had so many bottoming problems, I was able to run right by on the front straight, but IIRC that car was a stock motor.

Never judge a motor thats not running right...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

After reading all the posts, I'm still confused as to whether I should consider building a 85/86 fiero 4 cylinder for ITB... not trying to win a championship, but don't wish to be embarrased off the course either....I have never road raced before, just strait line racing...I have the opportunity to purchase a 4 cylinder stick and a v6 se automatic car, the auto se car has a moon roof..but not sure if this is a way to go...both cars are supposedly complete and the price would be $500.00 for both of them...is this a good place to start, or should I look for a mr2 or CRxSI?

ANY ADVISE would be appreciated, especially from Fiero racers, but any feed back is appreciated...just don't want to waste money in in the beginning...as I won't have a LARGE budget...just wanna have some FUN...

tks
    Chuck

If you get the V6 your looking at ITA, if you get the I4 your ITB so thats the start of what you want to look at. Additionally, before you worry about a race car or racing, if you don't have any track experience why not hit up a few HPDE and see if its even what you want to do before you put an effort into an IT car and find out twisties are just not your thing.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I wrote this somewhere before and I stand by it:

Some of the biggest money pits started life because of a cheap donor. DON'T let that be the reason you get something. You can find excellent donor cars for short money. If you must build, and you have chosen an oddball, you must choose something you love, because you will have to fall back on that when times are rough.

If you have no singular desires, pick a class and find a good car. EVERYONE will tell you that it will cost you a small fraction of the money to buy and not build. RIght now there are solid cars in all classes in teh classifieds.

If you want to go Fiero, go V6 IMHO.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I've been doing the racing game for awhile and it is always best to buy a built car. Now I'm not listening to my own advice on the Fiero, but that's because I already have a full blown SPO race car ready to go for next year. (Which is my main focus) The Fiero is a winter experiment and it is very fun building a car. Its a cool, oddball car that has never gotten the respect on the track I think it can earn. That said I am going to be very sure the car can make excellent power and the car is in very stout condition before I spend $2K to put a cage in it. I can sell it as a street car and get my money back or even make a couple hundered - but selling it as a mid-pack race car is a cash buster.

My buddy is going to do a bolt in cage (Kirk) in his 87 GT and we will weld in reinforcements etc - but for me a custom welded cage from a top shop is the only way to go. He'll save about $1K and likely get his car on the track for under $2K. He will also get whipped but he's new and doesn't care - just wants to race.

I'd look for a built car unless you are a really good mechanic. Of the two Fieros I'd do the ITB car - I don't think you If the Iron Duke is healthy that will get you on track the cheapest but I have no idea how competitive that car would be in ITB. I think an ITA Fiero would be very competitive if it's making over 130 hp at the wheels. If I can't get my car to do about 130-140 hp I wont build it since I dislike losing very much. Make sure the car will perform before you gut it - just cause it might look like a race car doesn't mean it's fast.

PS - found a bunch of stuff last night that would have caused my car to dyno so poorly. Just basic maintenance crap overlooked - talk about worn plugs, wires, rotor and cap all shot and the dirtiest air filter ever. Looking foward to going back to the dyno with a well running car and see what we get. Compression test tonight and timing check and I'll be ready. Happiness is a low base so they say! Also, don't trust the kid who tells you he methodically maintains his car.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Oh I trust a kid that says he methodically maintains his car. Right after I pull a plug or 4, check the wires for cracking and age, pop the cap and check it out, and finally take a look at the fluids. If they all check out within reason then I believe him and wonder if the cars got electrical issues.....oh wait I was buying a VW, it was gaurenteed to have electrical issues.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

DOOM! This project is officially suspended. Compression was sick on two cylinders. I will be sending the collection agents from my local sports book to visit the seller and exchange the car back for my $$.

This will be what the kid looks like when they are done collecting
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

You give up too easy. Good thing you didn't enter an ITA race: we woulda had you runnin' home cryin' to Momma within 3 laps...

:P

You didn't ACTUALLY think you were going to be competitive in ITA with a dead-stock engine, did you? Even one with good compression...?

DOOM! This project is officially suspended. Compression was sick on two cylinders. I will be sending the collection agents from my local sports book to visit the seller and exchange the car back for my $$.

This will be what the kid looks like when they are done collecting
    [/b]
    Ahh poo! i was so hoping someone with the know how and the cash was going to build one so i could steal the go fast info from. have to wait and see i guess.

Listen, ITA is the shizz-nizzle in tha NARRC, and you know it. Sell that bucket and get with GregA. He should be willing to sell you the Egg or the Mister Duece. Get-er-done.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

There ya go, Ben: want a mid-engine rocket? Finance the MR2. I'll build it for cost and you pay for it, own it, and drive it. We enjoy building and learning, you enjoy driving...I'm workin' on some pretty trick ideas... - GA

Motor was not stock - balanced, blueprinted and setup as a comp motor. Bought it because it should have been relatively competitive as built - suspension was the one improvement point. This puppy is going on the block - not a financially viable project now - a built car would be the better choice knowing this motor is not going to last. That's what you get for trusting the friend of a friend.

How about I buy a built engine and you guys come down to put it in? I can get a motor for $3K done nice - just need qualified labor - unlike me!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

I worked at a GM dealer when the Fiero came out, putting a motor in one is not THAT bad.

Bring it up here, Ben. You could get a cage installed at the same time...

I can see it now, the rev limiter receiver on my ignition, the oil pressure light with a little reciever on it and a fuel cutoff receiver...... I know you Nissan guys have that technology Will you guys place the lead up in the front part of the cage for better balance???

PS - the seller wouldn't give my $$ back so Vinny Bustayuballs will have to visit.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

There ya go, Ben: want a mid-engine rocket? Finance the MR2. I'll build it for cost and you pay for it, own it, and drive it. We enjoy building and learning, you enjoy driving...I'm workin' on some pretty trick ideas... - GA [/b]
    Ya know Ben, tyhat's a pretty neat offer, actually.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

It's that ITA shizzle that keeps drawing me back....

Nah, I'd rather rent that MR2 for a couple races when its done....

Or tell ya what, I got a car that I'll trade for the whole MR2 and the conversion....
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK - the latest Fiero update must be delivered, especially since Herr Bettencourt was telling me I must Sig Heil to the shizzle of ITA.

The motor is now out of the car and the sucka is being worked. The heads look pretty good and are hi perf according to those who know better than I. The illness is being cured with a hearty medicinal dose of checkbook, or shall we say credit card since its the holidays?

Many new shizzle parts will be under the tree including new flowed injectors, intake gizmos and other engineering acts of wizardry. I will have a gorgeous outcast of financial pain.

But it will be fast.......then maybe the cage......
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Have you checked out this site? This guy is in the CA region and I have seen him run on two different occasions in MI and KS. http://racer.net/itafiero/

I am hoping to build an 88 Fiero for ITA in the near future. First, I have to find a good donor car.

OK - the latest Fiero update must be delivered, especially since Herr Bettencourt was telling me I must Sig Heil to the shizzle of ITA.

The motor is now out of the car and the sucka is being worked. The heads look pretty good and are hi perf according to those who know better than I. The illness is being cured with a hearty medicinal dose of checkbook, or shall we say credit card since its the holidays?

Many new shizzle parts will be under the tree including new flowed injectors, intake gizmos and other engineering acts of wizardry. I will have a gorgeous outcast of financial pain.

But it will be fast.......then maybe the cage......
    [/b]
    Damn ben you got sucked into that one.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion