Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fiero

Short shifter....Holley intake.....cool car, but it does make one wonder.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Awesome looking IT cars, build that thing Ben!

R

I am absolutely with Chuck on that car - so many obvious things not done right. Jeez - ya might clean it up a little before taking the pics.

My car is slowly coming along. Saving up my pennies for a programmable ECM - Chuck gave me the point in the right direction on the way to go. I still have about $3K to go and that $ was sucked up by my SPO "incident" at Pocono - unfunny, it was exactly $3K in damages.

These Fiero GTs are really cool. Can't wait to put an AMERICAN ITA car on the podium.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I'm not going to totally knock the guy... cause I actually think the car looks nice for the money ($4000). The cage looks similar to the one that was in my Fiat X1/9, which was duplicated from the "how to build a fiat race car book" from the early '80's.

As for the slotted camber plates, that might be a bit tricky on the early cars... seems to me, the strut tower's were tight enough with the springs and struts in them, cant be certain. The short shifter has to go, although that is a stupid rule.

Ben, sorry I haven't been able to get in touch with any of my old Fiero Programers. You need to hury up with that project... I'm getting the itch, and would hate to thik I made a mistake in buying or building another Honda

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I am running an 88 Formula in the Florida region and feel like I am finally getting to the point of being able to enjoy the car. I built this car from a street car and have run it 5 weekends over the past year and a half or so. This is my first GM (after 20+- Mopars and a couple off brands) so it is like learning all over again and it has been a school of hard knocks. I am working on engine number 4 after splitting a crank in 3 pieces (wrong flywheel), breaking 2 main caps, and destroying most of the main bearings on the first 3.

This engine has been fully balanced, blueprinted, bored and other things my machinist tells me are required on all out race engines. The amazing thing is I have not lost any rod bearings so I know oil is getting through the crank. I now have enough seat time that I am finally learning the unique handling of the car and am trying to get quicker. In spite of all my issues the car has finished all the races and enduros it has entered and always drove onto the trailer except for the obvious crank break which occurred in a practice session.

I have been reading a lot on other forums regarding springs, sway bars, and general setup and have come to the conclusion that these cars seem to have more of a personal preference setup rather than a "standard" setup.

Way to go! I'm hoping to update my Fiero with some of the 88 components since the car is now on the same spec line as the 88. Looks like some debate on what can/can't be swapped though.

I'm going to wait until some of the dust settles before I start making any changes to the car that might end up being reversed if the rules change back. (Which I don't think would happen but better to be patient and wait and see.)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Hate to say it but I'm selling the Fiero - just had too much fun running big bore and I gotta put my total focus on one car. Somebody put this American mid-engine car in competition!

I look at my old posts on this project and its a downer to see it go.

Here's the ad.

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...showtopic=12993

Cheers and good luck to all fellow Fiero drivers!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion