Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiero

Dont listen to these people Ben. be a man,spend the money and build a fast and cool car and show them what you are made of. You have my support. now let cover the support thing. i was talking about moral support and not cash, you know that right :P
    Lawrence

wow, I have to say I am mildly surprised you made the plunge after putting the project on blocks. I guess if anything you will at least have a quick street car to sell.

Good luck in the indevors, let us know how all that shiny engine parts worked out for you.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Joe - I did get sucked in. Couldn't leave a sick car alone and won't sell it sick to some poor sucker.

Checked out Alans ITA Fiero site and he had some nice races - seemed like the car was handling well with very little of the dreaded understeer and was down only a bit on power. His car dyno sheets showed it at 125 ish for HP and my goal is 130 or better. My motor should be a very nice competition engine when it's finished. Not sure the exhaust will be at the top level it needs to be at but at least the headers are very nice.

Definitely a fun project so far and the parts a pretty cheap for these little scooters. When this thing is done I'll post up some dyno numbers.

What do the Integras put out for power? Mid pack and front runner estimates? Or better yet what do folks think this car needs to be at for it to run up front? Unlimited budget and all that....

Depending on who you talk to, 150-155 to the wheels for an Integra is possible. I'm sure the more informed will chime in.

Of course, some people say the 240 can make over 150. I'd like to see that dyno sheet.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Ben, That was an old data sheet on Alan's car. He did a fresh build last year (05) and added a custom exhust header. He managed to get it up to 140rwhp. It can be done with a 10/10ths build. Unfortunately employment issues kept him sidelined for the 06 season. Alan is a very good driver and has been playing with Fieros for several years. He even managed to set a couple track records with his Fiero back in the day.

Chuck

Now that is encouraging! 140 hp would make this a competitive car to pass.

Chuck - are you running camber plates on the rear shock towers? If so, what are you using?

PS - I heard Lawrence was doing a joint venture private equity investment in my project....

Now that is encouraging! 140 hp would make this a competitive car to pass.

Chuck - are you running camber plates on the rear shock towers? If so, what are you using?

PS - I heard Lawrence was doing a joint venture private equity investment in my project....

[/b]
    What Lawrence were you talking about Ben??? Am i going to have to start working nights. you know naked and all that?

Lawrence T

Fieros? late nights? naked? Did we really have to go there??
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jake, Fieros certainly make me HOT.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

They call him Duece "Lawrence" Bigalow - banging for speed is his motto.

No Ben I am not running camber plates. The factory adjustment allows for plenty of adjustment travel. Some of the guys have slotted the upper mount holes while others have added plates. I won't even consider plates until I get the setup very close. Then if needed install camber plates to allow quick alignment changes between tracks.

Chuck

Well, after about 5 weeks at the shop the Fiero is back home. Wallet is lighter and the car is faster - LOTS faster. I think the term we like is "snotty". This ended up being a full blown build.

Trip to the dyno soon.

I have nice headers on the car that are a little old and a 2 1/2" straight pipe - any trick exhaust ideas that other Fiero folks are doing? I'm looking at some of the West Coast Fiero systems but wonder if they are any better that my big pipe?

Ben, Don't waste your money on the West Coast exhaust. Hogging out the stock manifolds will yield about the same as you would get with the West Coast stuff.

Per GM race engineers
    "The preferred exhaust system for racing V6/60 Chevrolet is a three into one header system for each cylinder bank. Primary pipe diameter of 1 5/8 inch OD X 26' long feeding 2 1/2 - inch diameter collectors have proven successful. Collector length ahould be a least 33 inches. If the engine operating range is above 4000 rpm, a 2 1/4-inch diameter crossover pipe between the two collectors may be beneficial. This crossover should be located at the front of the collector." GM used to produce and sell these parts. Unfortunately they are no longer available. This was taken from the Chevrolet power service manual

An alternate final drive can be found in an Oldsmobile Acheiva. Gear ratio can be changed using an Olds Achieva R&P. Changes from 3.61 to 3.94. LSDs available from Gr8Grip and Phantom-Grip. Also a shop in Marietta Ga custom makes an LSD for the Fiero. Some of the Acheivas came with a Torson. I'm not shure which model that was.

I have put an Acheiva R&P in a Fiero Getrag, but havn't put it in the car yet. My reasoning for building the 3.94 is due to running out of rpm in fourth gear just after turn 9 flag station at RA. That is too late to allow shifting into 5th so I stay in fourth and hold rpm. I've tried shifting, but the short time between upshifting and down shifting is actually costing me time. The 394 should let me shift a couple of car lengths sooner, and build enough speed to make the shift worthwhile. The tranny swap has been placed on the back burner as suspension in a more urgent need.

Chuck

You could use the complete tranny from the Achieva but individual gears (1 - 4) would be off.

Chuck

And the Acheiva trans would be highly illegal, no?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Certainly.

But not the ring and pinion or limited slip that he is suggesting you take from the Olds and install in the Fiero box.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

If the Achieva tranny is the early model Getrag (i can't remember the #), and the same one that was used in the Corsica and Berreta, then it is the same 5spd used with the V6 Fiero's. There were 2 difference's between the Corsica tranny and the Fiero's, the speedo pick up is magnetic in the Corsica and mechanical in the fiero (easily swapped over) and the attaching bracket's for the cables were slightly different.

I made this change on my daily driver many years ago, after detonating the Fiero tranny. It's possible that the fork might have been different, but I'm not certain. Otherwise, the tranny was the same model, casting, gearing (well, he did mention the final drive being different), ect.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Hoop
    It's the same tranny, however the Acheiva uses different gearing therefore it would be illegal to use in the Fiero. The case, shafts, and bearings are the same. It would make a good core if something happened to your Fiero Getrag. The bell houising is different also. The Acheiva uses an internal slave cylinder. It will bolt up to the Fiero engine, but the hydraulics would be all wrong.

Ben,
    Found the info on the LSD shop here in Georgia. Engineered Performance Ph 770-528-3882 www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm Available in either a street or race model.

Chuck

Ok, then that's the 2nd generation of the Muncie Getrag. Correct, the internal slave cylinder model isn't the same.... I had forgot about that one. Some people have modified it to work with some ofthe 3800SC street conversions, and possibly a few V-8's.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Ben,
    Found the info on the LSD shop here in Georgia. Engineered Performance Ph 770-528-3882 www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm Available in either a street or race model.

Chuck
    [/quote]

Thanks - that is worth a call. What should a good LSD run?

I fooled around with the welder today and created a high perf street exhaust - at least I can drive it around without setting off car alarms now.

After driving the car a little I can tell its got some good power potential. It was 20 degrees outside today - nothing more fun than setting up a car in a warm shop.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Hoop, The Fiero guys who use the Acheiva Getrag swap the Fiero bellhousing onto the Acheiva tranny. They do a simular thing when mounting a Getrag to the Quad Four.

Ben, I have no idea what a LSD woulfd cost for a Fiero. Until I changed to softer rear spriings I expierenced no rear weel slip. After installing 275lb rear springs I had inside wheel spin at Nashvile and Road Atlanta. Since I also had bottoming issues at RA I am going to work with springs and swaybars first. I have aquires a set of 300, 325, and 350 pound springs. I will work through these then fine tune with spring rubbers. When I find the softest spring without bottoming I will increase the rear swaybar to control body roll. If I still have wheel spin at that point I will install a LSD.
    During your engine build be sure to port the intake and exhaust to the limit. What ever you DO NOT remove the vane in the intake ports as this will kill power. The Fiero came with a true "Cold Air" intake. which has very little restriction. The only area for some improvement it the rain catch box located in the left rear wheel well.
    Remove the box and fab tubing to replace it. I used a couple pieces of articulating dryer duct from Home Depot. You wont see much gain, but every little bit helps.

Chuck