Greetings.
First off, thanks to Radial Tire Co for sponsoring the weekend and feeding us. We love those guys.
OK, I'll start it off in ITA/ITB and IT7. Qualifying in the rain is something I enjoy, so I managed to start the afternoon qualifier in 7th. My best student ever, Doug Kinser in the #03 MR3 beat me by a tenth. Curses! Of course in the afternoon dry I went backwards to 18th overall, 13th in class for the race on Sunday. To describe the race as eventful would be a gross understatement, but I managed to stay out of trouble, finishing 9th in class and 17th overall. The old reliable video camera failed to operate, so there was no VEV. It was grim coming down the front straight and seeing Greg Ginsberg and John Cummins in the gravel. The second hand report was that John's throttle stuck wide open and took them both out under braking. I did not see Greg's car, but he was OK and understandably disappointed... I saw John's car getting towed home and it was in very tough shape. I've been around that car and driver for 15+ years now and it was not a pretty sight. I did not hear about John's condition but assume he is OK. I hope to see both old friends again next season.
I caught Doug Kinser at the start, but he quickly forgot about me and kept going forward, turning a 1:31:7, so I've got some work to do over the winter. Can you say dyno? Nice job, Doug, especially on those worn out brake pads I GAVE YOU! You owe me another brewski. Matthew Yip and the # 01 General Li disappeared in the first couple of laps, but later broke. Sorry to see that, Matthew. I was looking forward to racing Matthew Rowe, #96 Dodge Shelby, but traffic and circumstance prevented another drag race to the finish. I spent a good deal of time dicing with 3 2002s and I got called up to the tower as a witness to a couple passes under yellow. We were all chewed out, slapped on the wrist and sent home. I also drove the pace car for a few races in the morning. It's REALLY HARD to do 40 MPH coming out of turn 10 with guys breathing down your neck!
All in all an enjoyable last race for me. I hate to see broken and mangled cars, though. It takes a lot of the fun out of it.
Thanks again to all you guys and gals who volunteer to watch over us while we play.
AJ