I agree that it's time to open up the ECU rule (the "box" is just silly). But let me point out that we need to be able to add sensors and wiring too. Here's why: Different cars come from the factory with different TYPES of airflow measurement (e.g., hot wire temperature compensated mass air flow, simple flapper mass air flow, pressure sensor in intake, etc.). The Mega-Squirt is the probably both the cheapest and easiest solution, but it only uses a pressure sensor in the intake (no mass airflow sensor). Why exclude cars that simply came with a different type of system from being able to use the cheapest/easiest type of system? If you agree that there's no good reason, then it logically follows that wiring and sensors should be open as well (at least to add the pressure or MAP sensor and wires to it).[/b]
Well, I've thought about that. On the surface, it appears that that could be written into the rule, but that the existing meter would need to be left intact, and operational, except that it's output would be ignored.

(For example, any 'flap' style meter would need to be left to 'flap' as stock, not have the flap removed or pinned.)

But what am I missing with that concept? Unintended consequences??