Thread: ECUs....is it time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can you explain that point of view?
    [/b]
    The current weights and allowances take into account historical %gains for the cars now in IT. If you now allow wide band O2, more precise sensors for Map, TPS, and air flow you open it up to some real creative solutions. How about a 65MM hot wire from a mustang on the Mazda? Total control of the dual Vanos on the BMW? I know some Honda's will get real fast with unlimited sensors and ECU. It will take years to balance the equation again as cars have to go 10/10ths in all these cases to see the real outcome. Open up the ECU but keep the STOCK sensors as the only inputs. Anyone with the brains to set up a system is smart enough to solder to the original ECU plug.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

How about a 65MM hot wire from a mustang on the Mazda? [/b]
    That's not at all what I'm suggesting. All stock sensors would remain in place so as not to free up any current restrictions. We'd just be able to add EMS specific sensors to ease installation, setup, and tuning. Changing from a speed density control system to MAF or vice versa will not create power in anyway. Optimum tuning is optimum tuning regardless of the control structure. And the reality is that the physics of VE limitations will never be overcome by electronics. With cam control you may be able to shift the power band or fatten up the torque curve. But the current rule already allows this

Total control of the dual Vanos on the BMW? [/b]
    It's already possible with in the current rule structure.

I know some Honda's will get real fast with unlimited sensors and ECU. [/b]
    I don't agree but am interested in your explanation. Maybe I'm missing something. Just like the BMWs total cam control is already possible.

It will take years to balance the equation again as cars have to go 10/10ths in all these cases to see the real outcome. Open up the ECU but keep the STOCK sensors as the only inputs. Anyone with the brains to set up a system is smart enough to solder to the original ECU plug.[/b]
    I agree it will take time for this to shake out. However, I reiterate it's my opinion that a properly worded rule opening up sensors and wiring will produce no more power than what is already currently available. It will make it easier for the masses to achieve what some have already through more expensive, cumbersome methods.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

I agree it will take time for this to shake out. However, I reiterate it's my opinion that a properly worded rule opening up sensors and wiring will produce no more power than what is already currently available. It will make it easier for the masses to achieve what some have already through more expensive, cumbersome methods. [/b]

Hass anyone written to request the change to the CRB?

Hass anyone written to request the change to the CRB?

[/b]
    It's on tonights agenda.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

It's on tonights agenda.

[/b]

Thanks Andy. Can you lets us know some details from tonights meeting?

dj