Uggh. Not there again.

I think what he means to say is the intake size is fixed, the engine is an air pump, and no amount of electronic management will make it produce more power than the mechanicals dictate. Certainly, good a ECU management will allow you to harness more of what is available, but it isn't magic.

R
[/b]
Exactly!

If we're not allowed alternate ecu's then why are carburetor/distributor guys allowed to re-jet, change timming, recurve the advance? If it's a limitation that came with the car, why are the guy's harnessed with a non adjustable smog carb from the early 80's allowed to change their engine management to a re-jetable alternate carb? If IT's philosophy is to change assemblies, then why is an ecu change made by gutting the oem box, then installing new boards in the stock box? It seems to me, IT's philosophy should just allow the chucking of the stock ecm box as an assembly, and installing a new one as a replacement. Any gains seen were always there, to be had the same as a re-jet and recurve would give, but are unavalible because of the tamper-proof nature that CARB/EPA has mandated into the stock OBDII system. I guess some manufactures listened to the EPA's requirement for a tamper proof system more than others did I also understand that OBDIII with send out a signal when ever the system operates outside it's design parameters, so that hand held tuners and resistor cluges designed to make the motor think it's always cold will trigger an alert to notify the smog authorities of a non-compliant vehicle. Smog tickets in the mail anyone??

James