Thread: Lots of spam recently

As well as some nonsense posts from some brand new members. I'd be on the lookoug for a hacker attack.

Seems like a registration process that emails a key to complete the registration would eliminate much of that. Anyone know if the software running this board is capable of that?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

You'll find that BB apps have holes in them, or spammers figure out how to automate registrations and posts for particular systems.

Do a search on 'invision power board' (behind it.com) and you'll find bunches of sites using the same system, all of which can then be exploited with the same tricks. As holes get patched, the goofballs find new ways in and share them around. Bill has a full-time job on his hands, staying ahead of this crap.

Whatever you do, please don't CLICK on any of the links in the junk posts. It just encourages them. Replying to them probably won't make any difference though because it's doubtful that any human being responsible for the post ever looks at it again.

K

Come on Trish, Raymond & Stephen are big boys now. I think they can handle it.

Matt

Would it be possible to put all new accounts on read-only status until they're approved? I would think most of these spammers would move right on by if they had to wait a day or two to start posting.

I run a few sites, I have put up an image to type in for registration they get around it, I put up e-mail approvals and they register but never post but it wigs everyone on one of the boards cuz its a private board so I turned that one to admin approval only.

However, requiring the registree to click on a link on the e-mail approval has managed to stop most of the spam posts but not stopped them from registering.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Nobody emailed me to tell me.

I was quite surprised when I logged in and saw all the crap in the General Forums. I've enabled user email validaton. This will require new users to validate their email address before they can create an account. Let's see if that works. If not then we will have to start having those of you who are on here all the time become moderators and authorize new useers. I just dont have the time to watch this site anymore.
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

(volunteering...!)

Me too, not that I&#39;m on this forum very often. LOL
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Nobody emailed me to tell me. [/b]
    If I&#39;d known what to do, I&#39;d have done it. In fact, it wasn&#39;t until I started this reply that I noticed the "Report" button at the bottom of messages. Is that what we should do if the stuff starts again?
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

I work out of my house and although I may not post everyday I definitely visit here multiple times a day. If you need some help moderating let me know.

Tom Sprecher

Is that what we should do if the stuff starts again?
    [/b]
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

If not then we will have to start having those of you who are on here all the time become moderators and authorize new useers.
    [/b]

Count me in.