Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mustang Suspension

[quote]
    We cannot use these because of the rule that states the shocks must stay in the stock location. I wish we could use them! If we did I believe it would be called cheating.

Actually you probably can use them. Fab a base that fits in the OEM spring cup onto which fits the collar. If everything is thought out, it works. If you are woried about the "sturdiness" of the adjustable collar, it can be slipped over a piece of very stout steel tubing or made from scratch on a lathe from stout steel tubing.

We cannot use these because of the rule that states the shocks must stay in the stock location. I wish we could use them! If we did I believe it would be called cheating.

I will take some pictures of my set up tomorrow. I only have adjustable perches on the rear at this time.
    [/b]
    Doesn,t the rule book also say the spring must stay in the stock location?

Doesn,t the rule book also say the spring must stay in the stock location?
    [/b]
    Typo! Yes, I meant springs. I typed this out after traveling for 18hrs. My fingers were faster than my brain. Sorry for the confusion.
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang

I wonder what the E36 BMW guys do for the rear. They have a similar set-up.

Check this picture: http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyiFPxUxF.U0B...s/RearSus-4.jpg

This may very well be a situation where the rules don't allow this type of suspension the leway others have.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I wonder what the E36 BMW guys do for the rear. They have a similar set-up.

Check this picture: http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyiFPxUxF.U0B...s/RearSus-4.jpg

This may very well be a situation where the rules don't allow this type of suspension the leway others have. [/b]

The Bmw guys change the springs according to the height & diameter they need and use a adjustable spring seat which is no way do we, change the spring position or modified any OEM part to do so. We do not grind or weld anything. If you have to, it would be illegal.

Dan

Sure, there are V8 shocks available but it requires slight grinding on the spindles for them to fit. The early V8 cars face this same issue. If you have an early V8 you must shave the spindle in order to install the shocks that are made now ~or~ install the newer V8 spindles which is what everyone does outside of the SCCA to include circle track racers. Bottom line is if you want competitive performance shocks for the Mustang you will need to remove a small amount of material to install them. If Ron had not said anything No One would have known any better.

I agree. I think the rules need to clarify.
    [/b]
    I was talking about the rear shocks and not the front struts.

I seem to remember needing a spacer to fit a Koni strut on my 85 GT spindle. This went away when I updated to an 88 5.0 spindle. I guess I wasn't aware of difference between the 4cyl cars and the v8's.

I'm sure this has been researched but what about struts specific to the SVO or the 83-84 4cyl turbo GT?

For what is worth the hot ticket is a FOX strut on an SN95 car. Apparently you can lower the car more. An A Sedan deal.

Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

I was talking about the rear shocks and not the front struts.

I seem to remember needing a spacer to fit a Koni strut on my 85 GT spindle. This went away when I updated to an 88 5.0 spindle. I guess I wasn't aware of difference between the 4cyl cars and the v8's.

I'm sure this has been researched but what about struts specific to the SVO or the 83-84 4cyl turbo GT?

For what is worth the hot ticket is a FOX strut on an SN95 car. Apparently you can lower the car more. An A Sedan deal.
    [/b]
    A spacer was needed several years ago. The majority of the cars then had the thicker spindle. The opposite is true now.

The SVO is thinner the old turbo would have the same issue we have today.

We cannot use a SN95 part. Would be great if we could.

I will get a picture up tomorrow of my set up. Didn't have time today.
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang

Here is a picture of the kit I installed on my LCA. Here is a slightly blurred picture of the installed adjustable perch. It adjust from the botom with a 1/2" ratchet. I have this one adjusted all the way down.
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang

James, were the original parts drilled to install those?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The actual method of attachment in this case and in many others is not specified in the GCR and would have to be open as as long as it is not blantantly performing another function, a quality to be determined by a tech inspector. I think you have to use your best judgement here. Otherwise, please give me the section that covers location and attachment of these allowed items.

1. Aftermarket ignition system - does it have to fit inside the distributor like the stock system did?
    2. Exhaust system - does it have to mount to the body in the stock locations?
    3. Oil catch can - where and how is this mounted since there was no OEM unit?
    4. Engine stay rod - same thing.
    5. Alternate fan - same thing.
    6. Brake proportioning valve in the driver's compartment - did I miss that when stripping my shell?
    7. What about wheels with a different offset that stock? I could not find that within the limitations.
    8. Does the two-way radio have to mount in the same location and method the OEM radio did?
    9. Hood pins - where and how?
    10. Dead pedal - same.
    11. Fuel cell - do I have to use the straps that held the OEM tank in?

Without getting anal you would have to allow some leeway in the location and method of attachment for these items and probably some others I missed. Or maybe I'm missing something.
    Tom Sprecher

Hi all...here I am again.

V8 engined cars are quite different. The 4 cyl cars had the smallest brakes in the series on unique struts (which determine the size of the brakes), and the Turbo was engineered around the V8 configuration...even with tubular lower control arms which set it apart from any other mustang..

These parts, although on "Mustangs" are not the same Mustangs that are raced in ITB. Many performance parts are built for V8s, but since the struts, brakes and calipers are different, they are not able to be fitted onto the 4 cyl model. Shocks can be modified to fit the 4 cyl strut, but is is difficult... one must cut original shock welds, build new ears, and re weld the parts together. Reengineering them, so to speak.

Conversions for "spring shock units" for this car convert the shocks to fit adjustable collars and spring perches. Not legal in IT since it moves the location of the spring. Using the spring and collars in the original spring location is nearly impossible since the springs are not long enough to accomodate the shock. attachment is another issue, here.

Incidentally, the springs on a mustang are VERY LARGE diameter since they have so much spring pressure loss due to their location mid way on the lower arm. When (if legal) the spring is moved to the shock location, a large savings of weight can be had, since the springs are SOO much smaller.

Good racing.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

James, were the original parts drilled to install those?
    [/b]
    Yes. I had to drill two holes for the perch.
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang

I found my camera so let me get at it. I had a big party for my wife (40th Bday) so my entire weekend was lost. On the plus side it should give me some more "free" time to work on the new car.
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

I found my camera so let me get at it. I had a big party for my wife (40th Bday) so my entire weekend was lost. On the plus side it should give me some more "free" time to work on the new car. [/b]
    I call that the "Bank of Goodwill" - many deposits in the offseason - and many withdrawls during the year!!!

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

OK one of my 3 daughters used the camera during the party and it has been put! Not put away just put some where so give me some time.
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

"put" Now that amused me.

I could take pictures of my front springs but I do not have any adjustable perches there.......yet.
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang

All right pictures taken, Now I don't know how to post them
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

All right pictures taken, Now I don't know how to post them
    [/b]
    The pictures will be in a file on your computer somewhere (my pictures?)

When you post a reply, scroll down to "file attachments" Click browse. Find the pictures you want to post and click "add this attachment"
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang

I followed your instructons
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

Here are the photo's
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang